Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Nagra CBR (Covert Body Recorder) Thread Deleted?  (Read 10113 times)

Offline digifish_music

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • digifish music
Nagra CBR (Covert Body Recorder) Thread Deleted?
« on: January 16, 2009, 03:50:43 AM »
OK so what happened to it?

If it's so top secret, why is the page on the Nagra website still open?

Why can I find the manual (and pics) on several other sites around the net?

...and what do the moderators care if Nagra (a Swiss company) drops their pants in public?

digifish
« Last Edit: June 22, 2015, 07:30:50 PM by digifish_music »
- What's this knob do?

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: CBR Thread Deleted?
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2009, 09:32:27 AM »
It was moved to a secure area by official request.  Nagra is working on re-securing the information.  Please do not re-post it.

I can't speak to the information's propagation on other sites, or Nagra's actions to stop or prevent it.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline digifish_music

• Taperssection All-Star
    • digifish music
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2009, 04:10:17 PM »
It was moved to a secure area by official request.  Nagra is working on re-securing the information.  Please do not re-post it.

I can't speak to the information's propagation on other sites, or Nagra's actions to stop or prevent it.

Well you could have said that when you deleted it.

digifish
- What's this knob do?

Offline sunjan

• Taping since 1988, 28 years of fine recordings...
    • Just a handful of stuff I put on etree
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2009, 04:15:50 PM »
It was moved to a secure area by official request. 

Good to know that the Nagra guys are reading our forum, at least!  ;D Maybe we can send them a petition to lower their prices?  ;)
Mics: A-51s LE, CK 930, Line Audo CM3, AT853Rx (hc,c,sc),  ECM 121, ECM 909A
Pres: Tinybox, CA-9100, UA5 wmod
Recorders: M10, H116 (CF mod), H340, NJB3
Gearbag: High Sierra Corkscrew
MD transfers: MZ-RH1. Tape transfers: Nak DR-1
Photo rig: Nikon D70, 18-70mm/3.5-4.5, SB-800

Offline digifish_music

• Taperssection All-Star
    • digifish music
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2009, 05:08:31 PM »
It was moved to a secure area by official request. 

Good to know that the Nagra guys are reading our forum, at least!  ;D Maybe we can send them a petition to lower their prices?  ;)

They were tipped off. I had another member PM me about taking the post down, but as long as their site was open I couldn't see the point :P
- What's this knob do?

Offline Ozpeter

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2009, 06:09:09 PM »
It's given a puff in their official company annual report for 2007, I note, which would have been distributed in glossy form worldwide.  Presumably they can get them all back.  "The secret services are long-standing Nagra customers" is their proud, and perhaps unwise, boast therein.

Offline Ozpeter

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2009, 06:30:15 PM »
Meanwhile, google for "covert body recorder" to bring up a variety of non-Nagra stuff which would be of perfectly legitimate interest to those here interested in "stealth" recording.  Nagra are not the only company using this description for tiny recorders.  Some of this stuff makes the "stealth" recording equipment discussed here look huge!  But I suspect audio quality from these devices might not satisfy our audiophiles...

Offline digifish_music

• Taperssection All-Star
    • digifish music
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2009, 08:01:52 PM »
It's given a puff in their official company annual report for 2007, I note, which would have been distributed in glossy form worldwide.  Presumably they can get them all back.  "The secret services are long-standing Nagra customers" is their proud, and perhaps unwise, boast therein.

I believe it's a marketing tactic. In fact the deeper you search the more you can find on the CBR. 

digifish
« Last Edit: January 16, 2009, 08:06:14 PM by digifish_music »
- What's this knob do?

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2009, 10:37:35 PM »

I believe it's a marketing tactic. In fact the deeper you search the more you can find on the CBR. 

digifish

Actually as a vendor that sells to certain law enforcement agencies... Its all about not showing anyone pictures of product out in the open. It protects the law enforcement officers that sometimes put there life on the line for our safety and protection. I have products that I sell to law enforcement that no one has ever seen and nobody ever will unless they have a badge. Its all about keeping stealth "stealth" :) Get it  ;)
« Last Edit: January 16, 2009, 10:41:59 PM by Church-Audio »
for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

Offline setboy

• Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2009, 10:44:58 PM »

Actually as a vendor that sells to certain law enforcement agencies... Its all about not showing anyone pictures of product out in the open. It protects the law enforcement officers that sometimes put there life on the line for our safety and protection. I have products that I sell to law enforcement that no one has ever seen and nobody ever will unless they have a badge. Its all about keeping stealth "stealth" :) Get it  ;)

that's cool! :D

Offline digifish_music

• Taperssection All-Star
    • digifish music
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2009, 10:54:33 PM »

digifish

So explain why Nagra publish pictures of the device in public, check their brochures?

Even the public page one level above the 'protected' area has a small pic of it...

http://www.nagraaudio.com/pro/index.php

I also fail to see how that someone has never seen it would see it and not immediately know it was something odd. Particularly if it's worn on the body. The argument just doesn't stack up...now this is covert for example...it is a recorder

digifish
« Last Edit: January 17, 2009, 12:33:39 AM by digifish_music »
- What's this knob do?

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2009, 08:54:19 AM »

digifish

So explain why Nagra publish pictures of the device in public, check their brochures?

Even the public page one level above the 'protected' area has a small pic of it...

http://www.nagraaudio.com/pro/index.php

I also fail to see how that someone has never seen it would see it and not immediately know it was something odd. Particularly if it's worn on the body. The argument just doesn't stack up...now this is covert for example...it is a recorder

digifish

There could be a contractual understanding ( of none disclosure ) between an agency and Nagra that you dont know anything about. That's my theory.
for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

Offline John Willett

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Bio:
    • Sound-Link ProAudio
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2009, 12:03:12 PM »

This is what it's all about.

And the Nagra site is now securely locked again.

Offline digifish_music

• Taperssection All-Star
    • digifish music
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2009, 07:23:15 PM »

There could be a contractual understanding ( of none disclosure ) between an agency and Nagra that you don't know anything about. That's my theory.

Yes OK I understand that point. However they give this information to dealers (some of whom appear not to be aware of the corporate NDA's with clients, if they exist).

My point is that the idea that the public seeing this device endangers security staff is simply not logical, if they want to be covert then they will use a truly covert recorder. This item (with it's wires and mics) seen by any spied-upon party will immediately be recognised as surveillance equipment. Images of it are also available from Nagra in the public domain.

That Nagra put the information on the web at all, is testament to the fact that they are not serious about security/secrecy/confidentiality. It's sitting in a password protected folder, not very secure. I have worked in R&D for two multinationals, and we never had anything truly confidential on the web. If lives were at stake it definitely would not be.

BTW: If this were confidential information about a car on an autoblog who would care? I don't get all the hand-wringing I have seen on this forum about this. Companies blow CDA's through error all the time, big deal.

Yes if it's confidential it shouldn't stay up here, I have no problem with that.

I think the fact that Google Earth is looking at your back yard and Streetview looking at your front door is a far biger problem to 'security'.

BTW: I just searched for 'Nagra CBR' in google, 5th link down (in Hebrew), and bingo...Israeli company...showing lots of pics from the manual/brochure, and details that Google Translate show to be operational specs, so how 'secure' is this info?

http://www.google.com.au/search?q=nagra+cbr&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-GB

digifish
« Last Edit: January 17, 2009, 07:56:08 PM by digifish_music »
- What's this knob do?

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2009, 07:55:16 PM »
The thread was removed by request.  I chose to honor the request out of professional courtesy and respect.  Nagra's specific policies, whether or not they're effective, etc. didn't really have anything to do with it.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline digifish_music

• Taperssection All-Star
    • digifish music
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2009, 07:57:01 PM »
The thread was removed by request.  I chose to honor the request out of professional courtesy and respect.  Nagra's specific policies, whether or not they're effective, etc. didn't really have anything to do with it.

I agree with you.

I am arguing with people here who seem to think it is a matter of (US?) national security that the recorder not be shown in public.

digifish
- What's this knob do?

Offline digifish_music

• Taperssection All-Star
    • digifish music
Re: Nagra CBR Thread Deleted?
« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2015, 08:34:08 AM »
I was Browsing my old threads and noticed this one. Since I posted the original thread, I don't think there's been a day where images and details have not been visible somewhere on the web...

http://cryptomuseum.com/covert/rec/nagra/cbr/index.htm

digifish.
- What's this knob do?

Offline EarlyMorningRain

• Trade Count: (7)
Re: Nagra CBR (Covert Body Recorder) Thread Deleted?
« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2015, 10:53:00 AM »
this ones looks interesting too!

http://www.cryptomuseum.com/covert/rec/nagra/jbr/

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.108 seconds with 46 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com