Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: M10 teardown notes  (Read 5976 times)

Offline dabbler

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
M10 teardown notes
« on: February 08, 2015, 11:10:48 PM »
Only scratching the surface today, hopefully more next weekend.

The battery cover can be removed without undoing any screws by compressing the plastic just a little while angling it.
I did this while considering a mod where I could siphon off power from the 2 AAs to guarantee 3V power for mics.

I got a little more adventurous... Removing top back cover:
2 screws are near the battery cover hinges and obvious, 2 are hidden are hidden under the soft adhesive feet at the top.
Note the positions of the Mic Sensitivity, DPC, and Auto/Manual switches on the back, they will shift when the back cover is removed.
Remove the screws and the top back cover should slide up and out.
Replacing the cover means putting the 3 switches into place (careful to ensure alignment), and sliding the cover back on and rescrewing things back in.

I removed the switches for Mic Sensitivity and Auto/Manual Rec Level from my back cover (bending the plastic) since I always have those switches taped to prevent accidental toggling at shows anyways.
I can still toggle the switches with a fine tip like a toothpick with the cover reattached, though.

The internal mics are removable from their holders with tweezers (but hard-soldered).
You can also remove the mic grilles with one screw each (near the input jacks).
I'm keeping these as-is for now...

I am considering removing the internal mics to put the necessary capacitors and resistors for mic powering (once I get the tools and parts).

I may also repurpose the remote jack for mics since I never use it.

I should also be able to remove the metallic mounting thread since I never use it, adds weight, and is a fairly dense piece of metal.

I'll look under the PCB next weekend to see what free space I can find...

Offline udovdh

• Taperssection Member
Re: M10 teardown notes
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2015, 03:29:34 AM »
Very interesting!
About the mic powering: could we do PiP of 7 to 9 V?

Offline dabbler

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2015, 03:02:41 PM »
The battery cover can be removed without undoing any screws by compressing the plastic just a little while angling it.
I did this while considering a mod where I could siphon off power from the 2 AAs to guarantee 3V power for mics.

Probably not going to happen, since only brand new alkaline AAs deliver >= 1.5V and they'll drop over the course of a show.
I could try other battery types, but ideally all my power sources should be easily acquirable and replacable while traveling.

I may try to stuff some button cell watch batteries into it, but replacing batteries or even checking them might be difficult.

Offline dabbler

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2015, 03:05:12 PM »
Very interesting!

I doubt it (or doubt it's worth the effort), that's a large step from the roughly 2.8V we expect from normal alkaline AAs, but I'm not an electronics expert, either.

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2015, 09:20:13 AM »
Very interesting!

Powering from the two internal AAs, this would require adding a DC/DC voltage converter.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline dabbler

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2015, 04:14:15 PM »
Have you measured the PIP voltage?  That would be a first step before tearing open the unit.

Oops, I forgot to mention I started down this path because I only got 2.5V with a voltmeter attached to a male-male mini-cable into mic-in.

Offline dabbler

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2015, 09:57:08 PM »
Maybe my old RadioShack analog voltmeter isn't up to the task (it gives expected ratings when going directly to the battery, though).

Using a newer multimeter (Etekcity UT61A), I'm getting 2.95V from the M10 PiP.

Jon: thanks for the tips, but those things might not be necessary with my DPA 4063 right now (and I'm unsure if my soldering skills are up to the task).

Offline ArchivalAudio

• Trade Count: (19)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Teams Milab | MBHO | TeamVW:2011 Touareg TDI
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2015, 01:55:05 AM »
Any photos of the tear down? that would be very helpful!

thanks for the notes.
~ Archival Audio ~
Archiving Worthy Music
since 1986 & digitally since 1995

https://www.facebook.com/ArchivalAudio/

Main Mics: Milab VM-44 Links • Milab DC-196's (Matched  Pair)  • MBHO KA500 or KA300 •
PreAmps:  BaybNbox  • Naiant LittleBox • Naiant [Milab VM44] TinyBox • Naiant PIPsqueak
Recorders: MixPre 10T •  Tascam DR-100 mkIII • Sony A-10 • Sony M-10 

macMini 3Ghz i7 16GB Ram 500GB SSD • MOTU UltraLite
Naiant MSH-2's •   TOA K1's • Beyer TG 153c's •  AT 853 (4.7kmod darktrain) • Countryman B3's (1 k mod)  + other assorted mics

Offline dabbler

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2015, 02:02:29 AM »
Sorry, I think somebody else already had some from another forum or thread, I forget.
I tried going a little farther but things were too small and beyond my skill level at the moment.
I was happy to see the line/mic input jacks were soldered well into the PCB, unlike the R-09 I used previously.

Offline dabbler

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2015, 07:08:01 PM »
Sorry no pics :x  I'm not sure if my phone camera would've been good enough, either.
The mics were small omnis encased with a rubber cage for shock protection, I could not tell the make/model.
The mic wires were soldered to the PCB and terminals were too small for me to confidently work with :<

Offline tubems

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • local idiot
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2015, 05:59:21 AM »
I did a how-too for adding hard wired rca's to an m10 a year ago, it has pictures in one of the forums I forget.  I'll look for link

http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=166841.msg2080686#msg2080686
------------
local idiot

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.069 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com