Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: "Bootleg" DVD's from China  (Read 4719 times)

Offline ts

• Trade Count: (81)
  • Needs to get out more...
"Bootleg" DVD's from China
« on: December 30, 2008, 08:31:21 AM »
I bought Star Trek Voyager full series on ebay and noticed immediately that they were boots. I kinda figured that upfront but could'nt resist the price :P. Ofcourse the seller is now no longer registered so I'm stuck with them.

The problem is this. I have about seven DVD players scattered around the house. Some of the discs playback fine and some don't. On the ones that kept reading disc error I tried my Oppo, which seemed a little better but still had difficulties playing back the real bad ones. Very frustrating. So last night, just before I was about to toss them, I decided to try the Blue Ray player and it plays them all. Anyone know why? I'm curious.

Offline rsimms3

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re: "Bootleg" DVD's from China
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2008, 08:56:08 AM »
Interesting.  My first thought would be that the Blu-Ray is equiped with more formats that it can play so it's a little less picky about the DVD specs.  Are they pressed or burned DVDs?  I remember buying VCDs of Star Wars back in the day to have "better" versions. 
FOR SALE - Check HERE

Offline ts

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2008, 09:33:36 AM »
Interesting.  My first thought would be that the Blu-Ray is equiped with more formats that it can play so it's a little less picky about the DVD specs.  Are they pressed or burned DVDs?  I remember buying VCDs of Star Wars back in the day to have "better" versions. 

Thats why I tried the OPPO. It usually plays anything. I don't know if they are pressed or burned. They have print on the top.

Offline KenH

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Member
Extract and re-Burn ?
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2008, 10:39:40 AM »
Maybe it's the media.  Since the data is on the dvd's, maybe you could see if you could make a copy of one of the bad ones via your pc and then see if the copy plays ok.  I've done that to "fix" some cd's that had a skip or something using EAC to extract, and then you can burn a fresh copy on your blanks of choice.

/Ken
retired

Offline ts

Re: Extract and re-Burn ?
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2008, 11:22:03 AM »
Maybe it's the media.  Since the data is on the dvd's, maybe you could see if you could make a copy of one of the bad ones via your pc and then see if the copy plays ok.  I've done that to "fix" some cd's that had a skip or something using EAC to extract, and then you can burn a fresh copy on your blanks of choice.

/Ken

I thought about trying that. I will now. Thanks.

Offline rsimms3

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2008, 01:21:39 PM »
You can also use DVDInfo Pro to check for bad sectors on the disc that can't be read.  Pressed DVDs will be gold or silver where burned ones will generally be purple in color. 
FOR SALE - Check HERE

Offline ideal77dlr

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • Mo To The Fo
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2009, 03:26:11 PM »
I find that burned DVDs invariably don't work.  ::)
Sony D7 DAT : Edirol R-09HR : CA-11s (cards & OMNIs): CA-14s : SP-CMC-2s : CA-1900

Offline H₂O

• Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2009, 03:53:31 PM »
Alot of the higher quality fakes do not use burned discs (DVD-Rs) but acutal DVD's.    I have heard that very cheap no named brand China made DVD players work better alot of times on these fakes.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2009, 03:55:13 PM by H2O »
Music can at the least least explain you and at the most expand you
LMA Recordings

List

Offline jlykos

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Don't sweat the technique
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2009, 04:21:55 PM »
I have dealt with this problem for years now living in Georgia and Armenia.  All of the discs that one can purchase there are pirated Russian versions.  I usually burn a copy on my laptop (which plays anything you can throw at it) and play the burned copy in my home DVD player if it cannot recognize the pirated version.  I think that the crappy garbage media that they burn the DVDs on has something to do with it, but I am not an expert or anything.
dpa 4061 > Church Audio 9200 > Sony PCM-D50 (Moon Audio Silver Dragon v3 interconnect)

"I have no views," Mickey Melchiondo, known as Dean Ween, said in a philosophical moment. "I am way too stupid. I have no strong feelings about anything. I'm really into television and the computer. I believe everything I see on TV and read on the Internet."

Offline Ed.

• your popsicle's melting
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • FJ Baby!
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2009, 12:43:48 PM »
I've had this problem before when I had to burn a tv series dvd for a friend of mine.  Basically taking xvid files from the net and burning them on a DVD+R DL.  I used ConvertXtoDVD to do this, it made a nice menu and authored the disc.  The disc wouldn't play in any of my old dvd players but played fine in my oppo and the ps3.

I'm guessing since you bought series dvds the application was pretty much the same.  If the dvds weren't pressed, and if they were DL dvd's, its possible the laser on your dvd players just couldn't read the layers properly.

Because nothing says "I have lots of money and am sort of confused as to how to spend it" like Bose.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.092 seconds with 38 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com