Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: New to laptop taping, thinking of Firebox  (Read 5586 times)

easy jim

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: New to laptop taping, thinking of Firebox
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2007, 09:16:48 PM »
I got the Ultralite and have been fooling around with it, very cool. One thing I haven't figured out yet and if anyone has any help, please chime in, is if there is any gain control for the inputs other than 1+2. I haven't figured out the mixing functions and it seems there is some gain control there. I'm sure it is in the manual but I am having a bit of information overload.

Each channel of inputs 3-8 has up to 18dB of gain in 1dB steps that you may add. I know you can do it via the dials on the front panel as ArchivalAudio mentions, though you'll have to navigate through some menus to make it happen.  I'd have to read the manual myself to figure that out since I never used it that way, but I am certain it can be done.

Since I always used the Ultralite w/ my laptop, I used CueMix Console on the Mac to control the inputs and my backup mix to the outputs.  CueMix Console can be run side-by-side and concurrently with AudioDesk, and it is much easier to use the gain controls on the top of the virtual mixing board to adjust the incoming levels of the line feed channels.  Basically, if you imagine the Ultralite as a 10 channel mixer w/ four bus outputs, CueMix Console will be your virtual mixer to control your Ultralite through the computer in realtime.  To run on-the-fly mixes to the UltraLite's s/pdif or analog outputs, CueMix will become your best friend.  I usually have at least two separate mixes going at all times when recording w/ my laptop/MOTU rig: (1) to the headphone output to monitor a mix, solo channels, make adjustments to a mix to hear them before doing it to the on-the-fly mix, etc.; (2) to another output pair to run an on-the-fly back up mix with a 2 track recorder plugged in to capture.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2007, 09:25:49 PM by easyjim »

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • I thought I heard.......
« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2007, 07:25:53 AM »
i'd forgo the laptop route entirely.

you WILL loose a recording eventually.
I did it for years, had great success and great failure.

w/all the wonderful recorders out there these days..., laptop recording is cumbersome, at best. 
If you want a super simple "plug and play" system w/your "point and shoot" mic, i'd be looking at an R4 (for the extra flexibility of 4chan as well) or a Korg MR1000.
nothing else needed.

Roving Sign

« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2007, 07:33:34 AM »
i'd forgo the laptop route entirely.

you WILL loose a recording eventually.
I did it for years, had great success and great failure.

w/all the wonderful recorders out there these days..., laptop recording is cumbersome, at best. 
If you want a super simple "plug and play" system w/your "point and shoot" mic, i'd be looking at an R4 (for the extra flexibility of 4chan as well) or a Korg MR1000.
nothing else needed.

I find the lappy screens to be incredibly annoying at the show...very distracting. I've even heard performers bitch about it...

Almost as bad as talkers...

Unless you are working in a booth or somewhere out of eyeshot...I agree with Nick..

easy jim

« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2007, 07:01:07 PM »
laptop screens can be really distracting, and are magnets for wooks and stupid questions.  (during a quiet part of a song: "hey, are you recording the the show?")

I always turn the brightness all the way down when using my laptop, which is also much easier on the eyes (which will suffer after staring at a bright screen in a dark room for a few hours) aside from being less of a distraction for others.

Offline ArchivalAudio

• Trade Count: (19)
  • Teams Milab | MBHO | TeamVW:2011 Touareg TDI
« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2007, 08:58:32 PM »
Hey
I always
dim my screen to the off position once I got it going....
I can monitor it with  the front panel of the Ultralite
and do occasionally bring the brightness up to check, but only a few times

+ the added benefit of dimming the screen is longer battery life....

the main reason I started using my iBook, is I was having many issues transfering my DAT's in real time  to my computers... after 3 hours realizing there were many glitches
I'd have to do it all over again...
however with the newer  digi recorders and the ability to transfer "files" via firewire or usb, rather than need eing to actually play them  is beneficial

you can be mindful when using a laptop

just like being a mindful taper in general

not telling your neighbors to shut up or be quiet...
while I don't like loud shouters, it is there show too, its not my place to  tell them how or how not to enjoy the show...

usually  or often
I am welcomed by many of the bands I record and they want me there
so I am not worried
they are happy, and so am I

~ Archival Audio ~
Archiving Worthy Music
since 1986 & digitally since 1995

https://www.facebook.com/ArchivalAudio/

Main Mics: Milab VM-44 Links • Milab DC-196's (Matched  Pair)  • MBHO KA500 or KA300 •
PreAmps:  BaybNbox  • Naiant LittleBox • Naiant [Milab VM44] TinyBox • Naiant PIPsqueak
Recorders: MixPre 10T •  Tascam DR-100 mkIII • Sony A-10 • Sony M-10 

macMini 3Ghz i7 16GB Ram 500GB SSD • MOTU UltraLite
Naiant MSH-2's •   TOA K1's • Beyer TG 153c's •  AT 853 (4.7kmod darktrain) • Countryman B3's (1 k mod)  + other assorted mics

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I thought I heard.......
« Reply #20 on: November 09, 2007, 07:20:17 AM »
a $300 used R9 will still be easier, more secure and your back will thank you.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.113 seconds with 34 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com