Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: MacBook Pro Questions (Adobe Audition CC, Audacity)  (Read 2458 times)

Offline rockymtnryan

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
MacBook Pro Questions (Adobe Audition CC, Audacity)
« on: August 02, 2017, 02:23:46 AM »
Working for a new company now and using a MacBook Pro for the first time. I had been using Wavelab 6 / CD Wave / TLH for everything, and now the learning curve is a real struggle. Grabbed Adobe Audition CC and after a little tinkering feel like I have the basics down okay. I do minimal processing anyway, but some of the functionality throws me off.

Figured out gain/normalize for Audition and resampling from 24/96 to 16/48. The issue comes when its time to track and convert from wav to flac. Bummed there isn't a CD Wave version for the Mac, or TLH. I tried grabbing Audacity for tracking/conversion but it kept freezing when I was entering metadata. My MacBook is running Sierra OS 10.12.4 and it doesn't seem to like the newer version of Audacity.

I feel like I should be able to do everything in Audition, but having a hard time figuring out how to track out the show and export as multiple files, and the Flac conversion doesn't seem to actually compress the file size which is strange. Ended up mastering down to 16/48 wav, then copying the files to my old desktop to finish on CD Wave/TLH, which is not ideal.

Any Audition tips would be appreciated for sure.
AKG CK61-ULS > Nbob actives > Naiant PFA > Sound Devices MixPre-6 II
AKG CK63-ULS > Nbob actives > Naiant PFA > Sound Devices MixPre-6 II

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: MacBook Pro Questions (Adobe Audition CC, Audacity)
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2017, 09:12:02 AM »
xACT - go get it now!
Free, developed by a ts.com member, kicks assssss for converting to flac and many other things including data

Audition works fine for me but I don't know what versions I am using off the top of my head.
Two things I notice in Audition is when you convert from 48 to 44 the time changes by a few seconds and if you had "labels" they are now off. So in other words, you can't track a 24/48 show, down sample to 16/44 without redoing the labels.
Second, it will label tracks as banddate.t-01. Older versions didn't have the "-" I find it annoying because you then have to go edit it out of each track. I posted about it a while back and no one had an answer so I assume that's just the new version way.

I'll try to give you a breakdown based on memory of what I do.
Open file
Do normalize and gain edits
Change sample and bit rates
Export new file
Open new file
Do "labels" (track markers) and other edits like say fading. Put a track marker at the very beginning of the file.
Export multiple. This is were it is a little tricky, you will see two sides where you can create exported file names, make them both the same anddddd Select the box to export before first label or something like that, trust me.
Export/save to desktop
Go to desktop and change the file names, taking out the "-" andddddd trashing the file that's named "-00"

Open files in xACT
Run sector boundary errors > flac, create fingerprint at the same time
Audacity will generally place labels on sectors but it's good to be save and does t take any extra time or anything.
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

Offline scb

• Eli Manning should die of gonorrhea and rot in hell. Would you like a cookie, son?
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2017, 11:02:56 PM »
Bummed there isn't a CD Wave version for the Mac, or TLH.

I always thought TLH copied xACT

Offline opsopcopolis

• Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2017, 03:22:07 PM »
+1 for xACT. Does everything you could ever need

Offline rockymtnryan

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2017, 05:16:11 PM »
So something doesn't seem to be right here...after I've put all the track markers in when I go to select the whole show the "export audio of selected range markers to separate files" is gray and I can't click on it. What the heck? I have 21 tracks marked but it won't let me save/export as 21 files.
AKG CK61-ULS > Nbob actives > Naiant PFA > Sound Devices MixPre-6 II
AKG CK63-ULS > Nbob actives > Naiant PFA > Sound Devices MixPre-6 II

Offline morst

• I think I found an error on the internet; #UnionStrong
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2017, 07:34:23 PM »
are they selected, or just marked? (audacity user here, no clue about audition)

Here's the link for xACT, which I use all the time!
http://xact.scottcbrown.org/
« Last Edit: August 06, 2017, 07:35:55 PM by morst »
https://toad.social/@morst spoutible.com/morst post.news/@acffhmorst

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.078 seconds with 35 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com