Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Sony PCM-M10 audio recorder - NEW  (Read 173284 times)

Offline JasonSobel

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • My show list
Re: Sony PCM-M10 audio recorder - NEW
« Reply #330 on: December 14, 2009, 07:30:21 AM »
Would it have killed them to just leave it uncoated grey? Or offer plastic in any other colour (white, red, brown, green, blue, orange, whatever) except silver?

they also sell it in red, if the silver plastic doesn't quite do it for you:
http://pro.sony.com/bbsc/ssr/cat-audio/cat-recorders/product-PCMM10%2FR/

Offline pool

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #331 on: December 14, 2009, 05:36:24 PM »
Can I ask:
Does the Sony PCM-M10 record in 16 bit?
Does it accept rechargables?
What is linear Linear PCM. I owned an R-09. It linear PCM the same as wavs for windows??
When it splits tracks it the transition seemless like the r-09 and unlike the Microtrack?

thanks
« Last Edit: December 15, 2009, 09:27:27 AM by pool »

Offline gearscout

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
Re: Sony PCM-M10 audio recorder - vs. Sony PCM-D50
« Reply #332 on: December 14, 2009, 07:22:42 PM »
Tekdroid,

Thank you, Thank YOU!  Very nice summary of some of the main differences between the units.  I appreciate that you took quite a bit of time to list them.

I admit, I'm torn between the smaller M10 and just buying a replacement for the D50.  Since I already have the Olympus LS-10, I have a lightweight, small recorder.  But the dedicated Folder button and other options you point out make some strong points for the M10.

Again, many thanks to you and others for your thoughtful comments.  It will make my decision easier.

Offline fmaderjr

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #333 on: December 15, 2009, 12:53:24 PM »
Can I ask:
Does the Sony PCM-M10 record in 16 bit?
Does it accept rechargables?
What is linear Linear PCM. I owned an R-09. It linear PCM the same as wavs for windows??
When it splits tracks it the transition seemless like the r-09 and unlike the Microtrack?

thanks

Yes to all of the above, plus it records as high as 24/96 as well as 16 bit.
AT853's (all caps)/CM-300 Franken Naks (CP-1,2,3)/JBMod Nak 700's (CP-701,702) > Tascam DR-680
Or Sonic Studios DSM-6 > M10

Offline Test123

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #334 on: December 15, 2009, 03:13:40 PM »
I have a question about the M10. If I transfer a recording to a computer does the track marks appear as well?

I am looking for a replacement for MD. One of my clients records football games on MD. When a big play happens he pushes the track mark button. After the game he takes the disk and goes to each mark, rewinds a little and re-records the highlight using Adobe Audition. It would be great to take the whole game file, open it in Audition and be able to see the marks.

We purchased a Marantz PMD-661 which does allow you to see the marks but only using their PDM Mark Editor software which is not really an editor...

Thanks...

t123

Offline fmaderjr

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #335 on: December 15, 2009, 03:28:59 PM »
I have a question about the M10. If I transfer a recording to a computer does the track marks appear as well?

Yes-someone previously posted that they would show up in your audio editor and I just double checked. They show up as cue markers in Audition 3.0.

It's a great recorder. You should get one. I love Hi-MD but with this you don't need Sonic Stage(!), battery life is phenominal, and with a $40 16 GB Micro-SD card, you can have 20 GB of memory. Don't worry about losing the card. Just leave it in the machine and use the machine as the card reader. Built in mics are outstanding too, if you ever have occasion to need them.
AT853's (all caps)/CM-300 Franken Naks (CP-1,2,3)/JBMod Nak 700's (CP-701,702) > Tascam DR-680

Offline pool

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #336 on: December 16, 2009, 01:09:40 AM »
I will require stealth without external mics or preamp because i will be taping in close settings, unamplified music. I heard samples of the d50 on dime and it sounded very clean to me. (check out Craig Wedren torrent) but i havent come across ones with the m10 yet to compare preamp noise.

To my ears if the samples here
http://www.wingfieldaudio.com/portable-recorder-noise.html#avoid
were recorded as they should be, with the M10 it is has now become acceptable (pre-amp wise) to tape quite performances with internal mics.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2009, 01:16:57 AM by pool »

Offline tekdroid

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #337 on: December 16, 2009, 01:33:43 AM »
they also sell it in red, if the silver plastic doesn't quite do it for you:
http://pro.sony.com/bbsc/ssr/cat-audio/cat-recorders/product-PCMM10%2FR/

Right (and white is also available - or will be - in other territories), but what I'm talking about is the sides of the device, not the front or back. Tacky silver-coated plastic. I admit I am far more sensitive to this than the Average User, but I really can't stand the whole metal-on-plastic aesthetic - for both cosmetic (cheap-toy-look) and practical considerations (wear and tear).

Offline fmaderjr

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #338 on: December 16, 2009, 07:27:36 AM »
To my ears if the samples here
http://www.wingfieldaudio.com/portable-recorder-noise.html#avoid
were recorded as they should be, with the M10 it is has now become acceptable (pre-amp wise) to tape quite performances with internal mics.

IMO that test is pretty worthless for picking a recorder that would make good recordings with its internal mics, except for ruling out truly bad internal mics like the FR2-LE. However the M10 does have very quiet internal mics which also make very realistic recordings of acoustic music. Someone posted a sample of themselves playing piano and it sounded phenomenal.

Offline Artstar

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #339 on: December 20, 2009, 02:19:14 AM »
Can't wait for mine to arrive. Ordered it earlier this week from Musician's Friend along with some drum hardware too and got a 16GB Sandisk Ultra microSDHC card for it. My PCM-D50 is here on backup but I have the feeling that once I get the M10, the D50 will be up for sale on eBay. I just don't need anything that big if the M10 really does perform as well as the D50 does.

Offline tekdroid

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #340 on: December 20, 2009, 08:36:40 AM »
Just checked B&H and it looks like they are bundling the Sony LCPCMM10G carry case with the PCM-M10 now. Bah, I just missed out on this.

The case looks interesting. Would like to see some user pics.

Offline fmaderjr

• Taperssection All-Star
Watch Out Removing the Micro SDHC card
« Reply #341 on: December 22, 2009, 10:05:31 AM »
I was planning to leave my 16 gig card in the machine permanently, but I needed to remove it so I could use the machine as a card reader. Wanting the card to pop out as far as possible for easy gripping, I pushed the card back into the machine as far as I could and quickly removed my finger. To my shock, the card shot 3 feet in the air and flew across my desk. I was equally shocked that I found it immediately. Could easily have lost it. Removing cards from other machines with this technique always worked fine. 
« Last Edit: December 22, 2009, 10:07:13 AM by fmaderjr »

Offline mloewen

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #342 on: December 22, 2009, 07:38:47 PM »
I bought a card reader for my sdhc for around 99 cents on ebay (postage included) and I love it. Its so small and I can use it as a flash drive to transfer info.

Offline unclelouie

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #343 on: December 22, 2009, 08:18:11 PM »
I was planning to leave my 16 gig card in the machine permanently, but I needed to remove it so I could use the machine as a card reader. Wanting the card to pop out as far as possible for easy gripping, I pushed the card back into the machine as far as I could and quickly removed my finger. To my shock, the card shot 3 feet in the air and flew across my desk. I was equally shocked that I found it immediately. Could easily have lost it. Removing cards from other machines with this technique always worked fine. 

Flying MicroSD cards! Although that's been my biggest concern about this device, I suppose it's a non-issue with built-in USB.
unclelouie.tapes_at_gmail.com

Offline xpander

• Taperssection Newbie
Re: Watch Out Removing the Micro SDHC card
« Reply #344 on: December 23, 2009, 08:23:16 AM »
Wanting the card to pop out as far as possible for easy gripping, I pushed the card back into the machine as far as I could and quickly removed my finger. To my shock, the card shot 3 feet in the air and flew across my desk. I was equally shocked that I found it immediately. Could easily have lost it. Removing cards from other machines with this technique always worked fine.

I wish the same would work with my PCM-D50, but unfortunately it ain't. No matter how far I push the card and how fast I release my finger from it, the card will not come out enough for me to get a proper grip of it. Instead, I have to use pliers every time to get the card out. It seems they kinda compensated that on M10!

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.118 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com