Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: blumlien? M/S?  (Read 6074 times)

Offline Lee

• Team Bama
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "I hate the f***in' eagles, man!"
Re:blumlien? M/S?
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2003, 12:38:29 AM »
that is the "side" mic, Lee

It is a figure of eight capsule, mounted 90* to the mid mic as a coincident pair.
right = front cap, left = rear cap, or what ever combo best works for you.

Yeah, I get the concept, but I'm assuming:

M+S=left channel, where the +S is the "in phase" version of the fig8 signal.  "In phase" meaning the front cap is pointed in that direction.

M-S=right channel, where -s is the "reverse phase" version of the fig8 signal.  "Reverse phase" meaning the rear cap is pointed in that direction.

Like this:
(card center channel omitted for clarity.  Assume "OO" is a figure of eight microphone)

<----"front" of mic pointed this way

Am I making sense as to what my question is?
Denon AVR 3808ci > Paradigm Reference Studio 20 + Velodyne DLS 3750

Offline Sean Gallemore

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2003, 06:44:00 AM »
sounds right! I'm not sure many could tell if the mic was pointed the opposite direction, unless thet studied the bands stereo mixing of shows carefully.

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I thought I heard.......
« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2003, 07:25:48 AM »
it would sound like crap.

the figure of 8 pattern has a front and back, with the back lobe being out of phase.  It definately sounds different than the front, but probably not in our application.  Back when I was researching the Royer SF-12 stereo mic (ribbon blumlein stereo), I was sent a demo disc w/all sorts of studio takes w/their various figure of 8 mics.  Lots of the tracks utilized this technique on guitar and vocals.
They (the engineers) were constantly tweaking the direction of the capsule to get a little different take on whatever they were micing.  Sometimes it sounds best backwards.

but...for stereo recording, just set them up EXACTLY as if you were running XY.  right mic is left channel, left mic is right channel.  Instead of cardioid, you use fo8 and there you go.

The rear lobes of the blumlein pair are out of phase (as one lobe is left/forward where the other is rear right, and so forth), and it helps to provide that killer spatial sence that blumlein produces.  
It can work at a distance as well.  I pulled some pretty nice blumlein stuff w/the Soundfield from outdoor tapers sections way up in the lawn at  shows last summer.
it shines FOB though.  See Wes's 11-1 MSG panic recording for refference.  sweeeetttt!
On stage?  Forget about any other type of config (except M-S).  it just so damn real, its scary.

Blumlein images like a bastard, provides killer soundstage depth and basicly will reproduce EXACTLY what you hear....so dont use it if you hear lots of room...because that is how your recording will come out.  It is not one of those "unforgiving" stereo configs like NOS DIN XY..etc.

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I thought I heard.......
« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2003, 07:31:23 AM »
ahhh...I see I chimed in late.  My post is "out of phase"...
I was responding to the "running ms on a blumlein recording" comment on page 1.

Mid-Side recording.
I would like to do more of.  I really nailed some nice ones w/the soundfield and the big AKG c422 I used to have.  
I never ran the matrix in post though.  Always live, on the fly.  And I dont think that I ever pulled a dud that way.  Well, once (TOO, boston last fall).

The KEY to mixing it successfuly on the fly?
Etymotics.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2003, 04:44:09 PM by NicksPicks »

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.052 seconds with 32 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com