Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: MG SMS2000 v. AKG 480  (Read 8918 times)

Offline thoman8r

• Proud member of the reality-based community
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Let's go Pens!
MG SMS2000 v. AKG 480
« on: January 20, 2004, 03:55:49 PM »
So I'm thinking about going in a different direction with my rig.  I've been considering AKG 480's with the ck63 (first) and then later ck61 caps.  Now I see a good deal on a pair of MG 210's.  Looks like I could get either for about the same price.  I was wondering if I could have some expert opinions regarding these two lines.  Right now I'm running EW SR-77s.  I've heard the MG's compared to neumann's but I haven't heard much made with them overall.  I have a ton of stuff done with the 480 line.  What are the major difference sonically between these two mics?

Thanks,

Dave
"No. Don't call me a hero. Do you know who the real heroes are? The guys who wake up every morning and go in their normal jobs and get a distress call from the commissioner and take off their glasses and change into capes and fly around fighting crime. Those are the real heroes."
- Dwight Schrute

Offline Tim

• Trade Count: (1)
Re:MG SMS2000 v. AKG 480
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2004, 04:03:47 PM »
while 480's show up for the price quite frequently the MG's do not. I'd buy the MG's and if you don't like them you can always sell them and find a pair of 480's...

I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline jlykos

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Don't sweat the technique
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2004, 04:05:46 PM »
I own Gefells and have tons of recordings made with 480s so that should tell you my bias right there.

The Gefells are more pronounced in the way they handle sound; you will get a sharper, more focused presentation.  The AKGs may be a bit more natural sounding and have a more laid-back presentation.  The biggest difference is in the midrange.  I don't think that the AKGs have much of one while the Gefell midrange is unbeatable and is the best around IMHO.

The Gefells have a heavy, prominent bass and are very sharp with guitar and saxophone sounds.  If you like guitar-based rock (as I do) the Gefells really shine there.  The high treble can be a bit piercing if you do not set them up properly; they are a less forgiving mic than the 480s.  By forgiving, I mean more in terms of mic placement and configuration than in how they handle poor-sounding acoustic environments.

Edit: The Gefells also have the option of adding the M27 omni capsule which is unbelievable.  If you do any festival taping, you will not believe the results.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2004, 04:07:02 PM by jlykos »
dpa 4061 > Church Audio 9200 > Sony PCM-D50 (Moon Audio Silver Dragon v3 interconnect)

"I have no views," Mickey Melchiondo, known as Dean Ween, said in a philosophical moment. "I am way too stupid. I have no strong feelings about anything. I'm really into television and the computer. I believe everything I see on TV and read on the Internet."

Offline thoman8r

• Let's go Pens!
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2004, 04:07:55 PM »
I own Gefells and have tons of recordings made with 480s so that should tell you my bias right there.

The Gefells are more pronounced in the way they handle sound; you will get a sharper, more focused presentation.  The AKGs may be a bit more natural sounding and have a more laid-back presentation.  The biggest difference is in the midrange.  I don't think that the AKGs have much of one while the Gefell midrange is unbeatable and is the best around IMHO.

The Gefells have a heavy, prominent bass and are very sharp with guitar and saxophone sounds.  If you like guitar-based rock (as I do) the Gefells really shine there.  The high treble can be a bit piercing if you do not set them up properly; they are a less forgiving mic than the 480s.  By forgiving, I mean more in terms of mic placement and configuration than in how they handle poor-sounding acoustic environments.

Thanks, that's exactly what I needed to know.  I do listen to a decent amount of guitar rock, but I was also wondering how they do with acoustic music?
"No. Don't call me a hero. Do you know who the real heroes are? The guys who wake up every morning and go in their normal jobs and get a distress call from the commissioner and take off their glasses and change into capes and fly around fighting crime. Those are the real heroes."
- Dwight Schrute

Offline jlykos

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Don't sweat the technique
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2004, 04:08:39 PM »
Don't know about acoustic music; I have never taped any.  Not my thing.

Edit: One more thing, while the mics may be the same price now, if you want to add additional capsules, then price becomes a major consideration.  I believe that new capsules for the SMS2000 series run like $750+ a pair now and you won't find them used.  Additional capsules for the AKGs are significantly less, in the order of like half as much for a new pair and you occassionally can find them used.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2004, 04:11:06 PM by jlykos »
dpa 4061 > Church Audio 9200 > Sony PCM-D50 (Moon Audio Silver Dragon v3 interconnect)

"I have no views," Mickey Melchiondo, known as Dean Ween, said in a philosophical moment. "I am way too stupid. I have no strong feelings about anything. I'm really into television and the computer. I believe everything I see on TV and read on the Internet."

Offline muj

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Certifiable Nevaton Fluffer
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2004, 04:10:43 PM »
you might want to run the m294's 0.8 micron nickel diaphragm..

sorry for the spam

;D

Offline scb

• Eli Manning should die of gonorrhea and rot in hell. Would you like a cookie, son?
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2004, 04:28:04 PM »
>>I do listen to a decent amount of guitar rock, but I was also wondering how they do with acoustic music?<<

i think gefells ROCK on acoustic music

dave, check out the PMB 10-30 and 10-31-98 shows i converted a while back.  those were the 2 shows they recorded for the "General Admission" live disc and were when the band still rocked.  Plenty of acoustic stuff there, plus great shows.  They let Ron diaz tape that night, though we weren't give the ok to spread until later on.  he ran bill lakenan's gefells > m148 > sbm1 that night and they flat out rock.  should be enought o convince you to get the geffels

(and jamie, i apologize for spelling them "geffel" and not "gefell" on the info files :)

Offline thoman8r

• Let's go Pens!
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2004, 04:40:37 PM »
>>I do listen to a decent amount of guitar rock, but I was also wondering how they do with acoustic music?<<

i think gefells ROCK on acoustic music

dave, check out the PMB 10-30 and 10-31-98 shows i converted a while back.  those were the 2 shows they recorded for the "General Admission" live disc and were when the band still rocked.  Plenty of acoustic stuff there, plus great shows.  They let Ron diaz tape that night, though we weren't give the ok to spread until later on.  he ran bill lakenan's gefells > m148 > sbm1 that night and they flat out rock.  should be enought o convince you to get the geffels

(and jamie, i apologize for spelling them "geffel" and not "gefell" on the info files :)

Damn Scott, I thought you'd be the one trying to talk me out of getting rid of the EW's! :-)

Well I'll ponder this financial transaction on the way home.  Thankfully I've got a no-interest CC so I could try them out for a few months at least and sell them if I needed to.  Although really, between the two sets of EW mics that should really cover the cost of the MG's.

*crossing fingers that they are not already sold*

Dave
- Dwight Schrute

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
  • Trade Count: (2)
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2004, 04:50:06 PM »
In the short time that i have had these mics, I have been AMAZED at how good the guitar/mandolin sounds through them.  Jamie is right, the midrange is incredible.  I am in the process of mixing a Cast Iron Filter show (my gefell AUD and Jamies SBD source) and quite honestly, the AUD almost doesnt need it...the detail these mics catch is incredible...
« Last Edit: January 20, 2004, 04:50:33 PM by nickgregory »

Offline scb

• Eli Manning should die of gonorrhea and rot in hell. Would you like a cookie, son?
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2004, 04:51:24 PM »
>>Damn Scott, I thought you'd be the one trying to talk me out of getting rid of the EW's! :-)<<

seemed like you were set on selling them, and i'm just saying i'd take the gefells over the 480s :)

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2004, 04:56:41 PM »
while 480's show up for the price quite frequently the MG's do not. I'd buy the MG's and if you don't like them you can always sell them and find a pair of 480's...

Tim is right...at the price the MGs are going for, I would be shocked if you turned around and sold them in a couple of months and lost money...hell, I paid a couple hundred dollars more than that a month ago....

Offline muj

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Certifiable Nevaton Fluffer
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2004, 05:04:38 PM »
Dave,
go for them.I might be the biggest gefell slut here,but with that price alone ,do it...unless it were sanken cu-31's.....

Offline Tim

« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2004, 05:10:42 PM »
when a deal like this comes along you gotta jump. once you buy into the higher end gear then you can just sell your old gear to finance the new gear. it's that initial jump into highend that can really sting the pocketbook... this deal will soften that blow.

good luck!
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline plucks

• 1pt21Gigawatts!
  • Maybe the grass is greener on the other side
    • 1pt21gw.blogspot.com
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2004, 05:13:23 PM »
Edit: The Gefells also have the option of adding the M27 omni capsule which is unbelievable.  If you do any festival taping, you will not believe the results.
So true, so true :)  
Some of the best omni's out there!

I have found the highs in the MGs to be quite sharp and as Jaime, said they are very very focused sounding.  They generally get great results.  I find the bass in the AKGs to be a little more natural sounding though.  Mid's in both AKG and MGs are similar.  
MG20:  

AKG ck63:

Phil
« Last Edit: January 20, 2004, 05:20:58 PM by plucks »
"Then you have those who are completely loyal to Trey. Of course, they are the Republicans. Trey can play horribly, make mistakes, probably lie to the audience yet his backers will not waiver in their staunch support of him." | You may ask your self, how do you get a free bottle of champagne at dinner?  "Guest on Guest Violence"
1pt21gw.blogspot.com | vimeo HD videos! | the new Signal Path

Dirty Business down on Coal Creek

Offline thoman8r

• Let's go Pens!
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2004, 05:53:41 PM »
nervously waiting for his response...
- Dwight Schrute

Offline jhirte

• At ease atleast yeah.
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2004, 05:56:08 PM »
If you want a Gefell sample:
http://home.comcast.net/~jhirte/lizard.mp3

Jesus Lizard
05/06/98 @ Club Soda, Kalamazoo, MI
Gefell SMS 2000 w/cards -> SX-M2 -> DA-P1

someone gets some bonus points if they can tell me the taper! :)

-Jim

Jason B

« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2004, 06:54:59 PM »

Well, I am in talks with the seller too.  :)

-JB

Offline Joe w.

• esniper
  • Turn JB Up
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2004, 07:00:50 PM »
and jamie, i apologize for spelling them "geffel" and not "gefell" on the info files

i have goofed on that one as well.
2016 National Champions
five generations with an unlocked door and a loaded burglar alarm

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2004, 07:18:35 PM »

Well, I am in talks with the seller too.  :)

-JB

Hah.  I beat you both to the punch.   ;D

Well, no...not really.    ;)
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline thoman8r

• Let's go Pens!
« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2004, 07:23:39 PM »
you guys are killing me :-)

Jason, may the best man win!  

And by best man, I mean me  ;)

Dave
- Dwight Schrute

Jason B

« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2004, 07:42:01 PM »
you guys are killing me :-)

Jason, may the best man win!  

And by best man, I mean me  ;)

Dave

:lol: +T

-JB

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2004, 07:42:13 AM »
i think some mg's w/ a v3 could sound GREAT.....

although they had a lil too much punch for me at times, id think theyd sound a lil cleaner outta a v3 8)
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline thoman8r

• Let's go Pens!
« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2004, 06:25:48 PM »
 :realhappy:

One guess why I'm happy!
- Dwight Schrute

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2004, 06:29:28 PM »
congratulations....new mics are always fun!

Offline greenone

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Russian mics... strong like bull...
« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2004, 06:35:35 PM »

One guess why I'm happy!

Congrats, Dave! Now change yer damn .sig. :)
Unofficial Blues Traveler archivist - glad to work on any BT or related recordings
archive.org admin - happy to upload tracked material to the LMA

Offline scervin

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #25 on: January 21, 2004, 06:37:07 PM »
Now you want to buy my card caps!! :)

Offline Tim

« Reply #26 on: January 21, 2004, 06:40:58 PM »
congratulations!

Offline thoman8r

• Let's go Pens!
« Reply #27 on: January 21, 2004, 11:01:32 PM »

I wish.  If you still have them when I get my tax refund (hopefully I'm getting one), I may consider.  But I have to curb spending after this unexpected expense. :)

Besides, I think a V3 might be first on the agenda...
- Dwight Schrute

Offline thoman8r

• Let's go Pens!
« Reply #28 on: January 21, 2004, 11:05:22 PM »

One guess why I'm happy!

Congrats, Dave! Now change yer damn .sig. :)

Happy Dave?

All in all, I am gonna miss the 77s.  I wish I had the money to keep them too.  Someone's going to be getting themselves a good pair of mics.
- Dwight Schrute

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #29 on: January 22, 2004, 11:52:28 AM »

Besides, I think a V3 might be first on the agenda...

smart man 8)
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #30 on: January 22, 2004, 11:57:13 AM »
Dave, for what it is worth, I run my MGs into the MP-2->Oade Mod SBM-1 also and am EXTREMELY happy with the results...really, really great!

Offline thoman8r

• Let's go Pens!
« Reply #31 on: January 22, 2004, 03:48:16 PM »
Dave, for what it is worth, I run my MGs into the MP-2->Oade Mod SBM-1 also and am EXTREMELY happy with the results...really, really great!

I'm in no hurry to get rid of my mp-2 and sbm-1, believe me.  If anything, I might try to borrow a v3 and do a comp at some point.
- Dwight Schrute

Offline Nick Culbreth

« Reply #32 on: January 22, 2004, 05:34:08 PM »
I'm in no hurry to get rid of my mp-2 and sbm-1, believe me.  If anything, I might try to borrow a v3 and do a comp at some point.

if you get the chance try out the mme as well, i've heard a couple gefell > mme tapes and they've always sounded nice.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.116 seconds with 61 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com