Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Thanks Damon, et al  (Read 2280 times)

Offline Brian

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
Thanks Damon, et al
« on: December 27, 2006, 02:10:41 PM »
I was about to post a n00b poll with n00b questions, and then i remembered that Damon was taking sweet pictures when we met in San Fransisco at a Stockholm Syndrome show over two years ago.  So i decided to read all his posts as well as the other informative posts.  now i know what i should get to start out for concert photos.

Canon 20D(body only) with a Canon 50mm/f1.8

I also want to take some great outdoors photos, but i fear that adding on one more lens might put me over budget (~1,000)  I've read some lens recommendations already but if anybody wants to throw out a good rec for a nice starter lens for outdoors here, that would be great!  thanks!

I want to buy the camera new so that's going to mess with my lens budget for sure.

Offline BJ

• been around the world and found that only stupid people are breeding the cretins cloning and feeding
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • They're baaack! ??
Re: Thanks Damon, et al
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2006, 05:26:48 PM »
Why not get the rebel xt or xti and get a better lens? (not that the 50mm f1.8 is bad ..its great!) I think you could get a zoom lens in the f2.8 and the xt for your budget...maybe the 18-55 f2.8 (i just picked a sigma this size from baytaynted) that would give you decent wide angle (around 30mm with 1.6x crop) and some zoom also (around 90mm).  I know the 20d is great, but the xt/xti are pretty nice, and you could always upgrade later, and keep the xt for a backup if you needed.  I think the lens(s) are as important as the camera, esp b/w the xt/xti and the 20d, of course you lose soem functionality...but starting out, I am not sure how much of that you will need/miss.

just a thought

bj
[edit]  xt body = 509$ new and sigma is about 429$ new from b&h photo..add a few accessories(dont forget your UV filter!)..and your right at 1k
Auditory
Intake  waves -> 0/1's -> waves
it's magic 

Offline Brian

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2006, 12:16:19 PM »
thanks for the recommendation, BJ.  I think the reason i want to go with the 20D is because i don't want to upgrade for a while, hopefully "forever" or until the camera shits the bed :P  I want to get a great camera right away and then upgrade with glass purchases over time.  but with the an xt body being about $300 less than a 20D, your suggestion sure is tempting.

what's the real big difference between the XT/XTi and the D series.  is it pretty much a consumer/prosumer vs. professional kind of thing?

Offline Ed.

• your popsicle's melting
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • FJ Baby!
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2007, 12:08:55 PM »
what's the real big difference between the XT/XTi and the D series.  is it pretty much a consumer/prosumer vs. professional kind of thing?

xt = 8mp
xti = 10mp

however, i think they have the same chip in them, and i've heard of people saying they get more noise out of the xti at higher iso's.  more mp's isn't necessarily always good.

the 20D is a step up, it offers some extra features that are aimed more towards the prosumer.  I have a 20D and its a great camera.  Plus with the 30D's outs now, the 20D's have come down significantly in price.

All of them are great cameras though.  Canon does excellent with low light photography, high iso's and low noise.

Because nothing says "I have lots of money and am sort of confused as to how to spend it" like Bose.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.058 seconds with 32 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com