Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Monopods and Tripods on a budget  (Read 3996 times)

Offline guitard

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
  • Needs to get out more...
Monopods and Tripods on a budget
« on: January 19, 2007, 06:11:10 PM »
I just bought a few more things to add to my collection - all are in the $20 range.  Almost everything I do is stealth, so size really matters ~

http://www.adorama.com/TG42TT.html

I like it because it's a real tripod - standing 42 inches, but collapses down to 11 inches, so it's still easy to sneak in.  My wife put it at the bottom of her purse and I recently got it into a venue with no problem.  If I go solo, and there are no patdowns or wands, I think I can still easily get in by putting it in my sock.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I also just picked up this clamp style rig:

http://www.trophytools.com

This works out really well when you want to just clamp the cam to the front or side of your seat or to the seat's armrest, zero in for a screen shot, and then sit back and enjoy the show.  I used it recently and found that you can pan with it pretty easily simply by grabbing the grips of the clip and turning it.  It pans pretty smoothly this way also.  If you are zoomed in and start messing with the locking nut, you can definitely see some jitter though.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Need a versatile monopod?  Here you go - by far, my favorite monopod:  Hakuba HMS10SG Monopod

maximum extended height: 56 in.
minimum height: 4 3/4 in.
folded length: 9.8 in.
weight: 1 1/4 lbs.

http://image.bizrate.com/resize?sq=400&uid=530739606

You can film with this by extending the pod's leg out to about knee height, and then you just hold it in front of your seat between your legs and steady it by holding the cam against the front of the seat or up against one of your legs.  Drape a shirt or something on your leg and that (along with your leg) will largely shield it from view.

You can also use this as a tripod (as pictured) in the same manner you would use a small table top type tripod.  If you have the cam attached to this, you can also fold in the legs and hold the monopod up by gripping it the same way you hold an umbrella handle or a pistol grip - which is a lot easier on the hands than holding the cam itself, and you get a much more steadier shot than a regular handheld.  I've been at shows where I was standing right behind a moshpit - and I just extended the monopod out to about 12-15 inches in length and filmed over top the crowd and got a nice steady shot while doing so.

I've also filmed by extending the main monopod leg, and then extended the two short legs out away from me.  The shorter legs were extended in an upward position and I leaned them against the seat in front of me.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2007, 05:23:09 PM by guitard »
Mics: Schoeps MK41s & MK41Vs >:D
Pre-amps: BabyNbox & Platinum Nbox
Deck: Sony A10

Video: Canon HF G70 (4K), Sony FDR AX100 (4K), Pany ZS100 (4K)
Photo: Canon EOS 7D w/ Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L is III USM

A/V software: Sony Vegas Pro 18 (build 527) 64 bit / DVD Architect Pro 6.0 (build 237)

Offline sabre

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
Re: Monopods and Tripods on a budget
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2007, 09:27:54 AM »
Thanks for the links to the tripods and the advice on how to use them! Much appreciated. All my videos are shot handheld, but I would like to try using some sort of stabilsation one day.

Offline Sabkisscrue

• Taperssection Newbie

Offline guitard

• Site Supporter
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2007, 09:20:46 PM »
Even better monopod

http://www.amazon.com/SIMA-SVP-3-Mobile-Video-Prop/dp/B00006JQ68/sr=1-8/qid=1169538699/ref=sr_1_8/105-2886671-2940449?ie=UTF8&s=photo
I've heard these called "chestpods" but never monopod.  By its own description at that site, it's a "Mobile Video Prop."

I own one, but I almost never use it because I mostly do stealth shots.  It might come in handy at times at a permission shoot.  But if you are filming solo, you'd probably be better off with a tripod.  If you've got a partner using a tripod and you want to go mobile without having to drag a tripod around - this would be perfect.

A/V software: Sony Vegas Pro 18 (build 527) 64 bit / DVD Architect Pro 6.0 (build 237)

Offline Sabkisscrue

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2007, 09:45:20 PM »
Ive used it tons of times as a monopod.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2007, 10:00:01 PM by Sabkisscrue »

Offline BlackLab

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2007, 08:15:23 PM »
Ive used it tons of times as a monopod.

if it rests against your chest - does your breathing cause video to move slightly up & down?

Offline guitard

• Site Supporter
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2007, 12:54:44 AM »
if it rests against your chest - does your breathing cause video to move slightly up & down?
The only time you'd have it resting up against your chest is if you're shooting while standing up - so there will be some movement anyway.  However, this will help you get a much smoother shot than you otherwise would get.

Actually, when I use it while standing, I usually wedge the bottom portion in my pants behind the belt buckle.  It keeps it from moving around that way.

If you are sitting down, you can rest the bottom of it on your seat between your legs or on something else, and get a near tripod-like shot.

Offline BlackLab

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2007, 01:52:14 PM »
thanks - didnt realize it could extend that far if you're seated. I do need to flm standing up sometimes at concerts if people in front are standing as well

Offline guitard

• Site Supporter
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2007, 04:13:50 PM »
thanks - didnt realize it could extend that far if you're seated. I do need to flm standing up sometimes at concerts if people in front are standing as well
If you're filming in stealth mode, I highly recommend the Hakuba HMS10SG Monopod (see image/info above).  Unlike a chestpod, it's very easy to conceal, and it's easy to use while sitting or standing.

Offline BlackLab

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2007, 11:20:16 AM »
I will definitely consider - amazing how short it is unextended :)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.061 seconds with 38 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com