Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: video cameras?  (Read 4579 times)

Offline newtdecay

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
video cameras?
« on: January 20, 2007, 10:10:40 PM »
I'm looking to invest in a new camera for the purpose of taping live shows. I have been taping Audio shows for 4 years, and during that time have filmed one show. I currently have a gigantic camera, and I am looking to not only downsize, but to upgrade as well.

I do not know a damned thing about cameras, except PLAY, RECORD & how to attach the thing to my television, so I turn to you for help.

I have a budget of up to $300 (I will be purchasing online, not in a store). & I am looking for something that will be more discrete & lightweight & will come out great in the end (after I transfer to DVD).

I was searching eBay initially & there are the variations I do not understand the difference of - what should I look for in a camera & why?

DIGITAL VIDEO CAMERAS:

4.0 MINI DV Digital Video Camera

Will that do? How many megapixels do I want & why?

I don't want anything to extravengant - just something that will do the job - a decent job.

thanks for your help (for those that do help)!

xoxox.
newtdecay.
http://db.etree.org/newtdecay

Offline treehugger

• Taperssection Regular
Re: video cameras?
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2007, 03:18:48 AM »
I'm looking to invest in a new camera for the purpose of taping live shows. I have been taping Audio shows for 4 years, and during that time have filmed one show. I currently have a gigantic camera, and I am looking to not only downsize, but to upgrade as well.

I do not know a damned thing about cameras, except PLAY, RECORD & how to attach the thing to my television, so I turn to you for help.

I have a budget of up to $300 (I will be purchasing online, not in a store). & I am looking for something that will be more discrete & lightweight & will come out great in the end (after I transfer to DVD).

I was searching eBay initially & there are the variations I do not understand the difference of - what should I look for in a camera & why?

DIGITAL VIDEO CAMERAS:

4.0 MINI DV Digital Video Camera

Will that do? How many megapixels do I want & why?

I don't want anything to extravengant - just something that will do the job - a decent job.

thanks for your help (for those that do help)!

xoxox.
newtdecay.
http://db.etree.org/newtdecay

you wont be able to get a decent dvd out of that camera.   at under $300 you should get something that records to mini dv tapes, has at least a 20x optical zoom.  i've had great results shooting shows with this one:

http://lowpricedigital.com/item.asp?item_Id=123451&partner=g123&keyword=sony_dcr_hc26

just paint it black, make something tinted to cover the lcd screen and you're set...and it's cheap enough that you can buy yourself a extended life battery, which you will also need. 

Offline guitard

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2007, 09:18:24 AM »
make something tinted to cover the lcd screen
Go by a shop that does car window tinting and get some scraps from them.  That stuff works great.

Learn how to work the exposure on your cam - it's really important to getting a good shot.
Mics: Schoeps MK41s & MK41Vs >:D
Pre-amps: BabyNbox & Platinum Nbox
Deck: Sony A10

Video: Canon HF G70 (4K), Sony FDR AX100 (4K), Pany ZS100 (4K)
Photo: Canon EOS 7D w/ Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L is III USM

A/V software: Sony Vegas Pro 18 (build 527) 64 bit / DVD Architect Pro 6.0 (build 237)

Offline treehugger

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2007, 03:25:24 PM »
make something tinted to cover the lcd screen
Go by a shop that does car window tinting and get some scraps from them.  That stuff works great.

Learn how to work the exposure on your cam - it's really important to getting a good shot.

yeah, i picked up a piece of window tint at home depot. cut 3 pieces to fit, layered them, and taped them to the top of the viewfinder with a  piece of electrical tape.  works perfect.

Offline greatape

• Taperssection Regular
    • www.youtube.com/GreatTapes
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2007, 03:38:23 PM »
That SD card on ebay won't cut it.

You definitely want to use miniDV tape.  A $300 budget is going to make it really tough.  There are going to be tradeoffs.  Some of the JVCs are said to have decent low-light performance in that price range.  Another little thing to keep in mind is to look for a top loading tape.  If it's on the bottom you'll need to take it off the tripod to chage tape.

This site is a great resource:
http://www.camcorderinfo.com/d/Reviews&level_b=Camcorder&level_c=MiniDV.htm
My Videos:
http://www.youtube.com/GreatTapes

Audio:
Church Audio STC11 Cardioids>ST9000>Tascam Dr2d

Photo/Video:
Panasonic GH2
Canon HV30/HV20

Offline beefstew

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2007, 03:47:09 PM »
For under $300 the best cam u can buy IMO would be the Canon ZR-500
i own one myself, great low-light performance, mic in, and very easy to use

some people down it b/c it doesnt have a headphone out, but all you have to do is take your AV out>RCA cables and add a RCA>1/8" adapter and your all set
*Audio*
Mics:
SP-CMC-19
Panasonic WM61a

Recorders:
MZ-RH910 (Hi-MD)
Sony TC-WE435 (CASS)

*Video*
Canon ZR-500 [Mini DV]
54" Tripod

I spend most of my money on gambling, booze, and women. The rest i spend foolishly.

Offline greatape

• Taperssection Regular
    • www.youtube.com/GreatTapes
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2007, 05:25:02 PM »
For under $300 the best cam u can buy IMO would be the Canon ZR-500
i own one myself, great low-light performance, mic in, and very easy to use

some people down it b/c it doesnt have a headphone out, but all you have to do is take your AV out>RCA cables and add a RCA>1/8" adapter and your all set

That looks like a pretty decent camera and it's only around $230 on Amazon.   I used a borrowed Canon Elura 100, which is very similar to this one, to record a recent show and got decent results.

Here's a video I shot with a Canon Elura 100:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8KRYVi7_zm8
Coalition Of The Willing (2006-11-11) Skerik and Bobby Previte Jam

compared to

Video I shot with a $2,000 Panasonic AG-DVC30
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=at2mpAXPvCI
Buckethead (2006-04-01) Foxy Lady > Machine Gun > Star Spangled Banner > Patch Cord Dance
« Last Edit: January 21, 2007, 08:16:46 PM by greatape »
My Videos:
http://www.youtube.com/GreatTapes

Audio:
Church Audio STC11 Cardioids>ST9000>Tascam Dr2d

Photo/Video:
Panasonic GH2
Canon HV30/HV20

Offline guitard

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2007, 05:29:15 PM »

yeah, i picked up a piece of window tint at home depot. cut 3 pieces to fit, layered them, and taped them to the top of the viewfinder with a  piece of electrical tape.  works perfect.
I only use one layer - never tried using more.  I'm sure with three layers, the light signature is practically nil.  Of course, the downside to using this stuff is that you can't adjust the exposure.  I do a lot of filming with a Panasonic PV-GS120 3CCD model that doesn't have manual exposure, so I don't worry about it.  Every now and then the lighting is such that there'll be a little over-exposure, but that's pretty rare.
Mics: Schoeps MK41s & MK41Vs >:D
Pre-amps: BabyNbox & Platinum Nbox
Deck: Sony A10

Video: Canon HF G70 (4K), Sony FDR AX100 (4K), Pany ZS100 (4K)
Photo: Canon EOS 7D w/ Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L is III USM

A/V software: Sony Vegas Pro 18 (build 527) 64 bit / DVD Architect Pro 6.0 (build 237)

Offline fanofthemule

• Trade Count: (17)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2007, 05:45:11 PM »
i've got two panasonic pv-gs300's and a panasonic pv-gs150 and would recommend either of them.
Sony PCM-M10

Fostex FR2LE Busman TMod

Superlux S502 ORTF

Offline Sabkisscrue

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2007, 02:49:36 AM »
Go ebay and find a lightly used excellent or mint condition megapixel digital8 camcorder.
Preferably the trv740. Should find one for under $400
Then look on ebay for either external mics sony ecm717 or ecm719
Preferably the ecm717

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.114 seconds with 38 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com