Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: CA ST9100 and rechargable 9V???  (Read 2589 times)

Offline jmz93

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
CA ST9100 and rechargable 9V???
« on: June 04, 2008, 04:06:15 PM »
Hi gang.

Can anybody recommend a rechargable 9V battery for use with the Church Audio ST9100 preamp?

I have some NiMH ones rated at 200MA, 9.3V, but after about 20 minutes normal operation, they don't seem to have enough juice to power things correctly.  I'm powering DPA 4061's with the preamp, and when the power drops, things go noisier, quieter, and audio is distorted.

I pop in a fresh alkaline and everything is as it should be.

thanks

Offline Belexes

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: CA ST9100 and rechargable 9V???
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2008, 04:09:22 PM »
Chris Church advises against using a rechargable.  A regular 9v will last you a very long time.
Busman Audio BSC1-K1/K2/K3/K4 > HiHo Silver XLR's > Deck TBD

CA-14 (c,o)/MM-HLSC-1 (4.7k mod)/AT853(4.7k mod)(c,o,h,sc)/CAFS (o)/CA-1 (o) > CA-9100 (V. 4.1)/CA-9200/CA-UBB > Sony PCM-D50/Sony PCM-M10

Offline Falconidave

• Trade Count: (35)
  • Taperssection Member
  • "I went to too many concerts" said no one ever!
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2008, 04:20:20 PM »
I have used these batteries:
http://thomasdistributing.com/shop/-maha-powerex-96-volt-230mah-nimh-rechargeable-batterybr1-battery-pack-p-505.html?SP_id=&osCsid=d147ki0ttd9hu9qsl9d1f04191
along with the charger they recommend to get a full charge.  I have used them in my CA Ugly, STC-9000, and my SP battery box with excellent results and ZERO problems.
Should work well with the ST-9100 since it is basically the same as the CA Ugly...
Mics: Schoeps MK41; AT853(3-wire)(c,o); AT943(3-wire)(c,o); AT933(3-wire)(c,o); Shure 185(c); Sony ECM-166BMP (o); Sony ECM-166BC (c).
Interconnects: NBob Actives
Preamps: BabyNbox v2
Recorders: Sony PCM-A10(2); Sony PCM-M10; Edirol R-09HR; Sony MZ-RH1
Video: Panasonic HDC-TM700 HD; Panasonic Lumix GX85; Panasonic Lumix DMC ZS100; Canon PowerShot SX50 HD; Sony DSC-HX50V

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2008, 10:29:32 AM »
Hi gang.

Can anybody recommend a rechargable 9V battery for use with the Church Audio ST9100 preamp?

I have some NiMH ones rated at 200MA, 9.3V, but after about 20 minutes normal operation, they don't seem to have enough juice to power things correctly.  I'm powering DPA 4061's with the preamp, and when the power drops, things go noisier, quieter, and audio is distorted.

I pop in a fresh alkaline and everything is as it should be.

thanks

How long do you run the preamp on alkalines with the 4061s before changing batteries?

I've had a similar experience as yours running 4060's with regular alkalines after a few shows and the voltage drops a bit, details in the CA-Ugly thread here.  I'd guess it's more like 7 hours or so though of intermittent use, vs 20min with the lower voltage rechargeables. I'm going to order some of the Maha 9.6Vs Falconidave mentions above and the recommended charger.  I can recharge between events and just want enough voltage to be safe and not worry about it.  Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the miniature DPA's have a higher current draw than other mics typically used with these pre's which contributes to the faster voltage drop.

The DPA MMA6000 preamp runs for a much longer time on a 9v alkaline and then blinks red for a good couple hours or more before dying - enough time that I've never had it distort or die of low voltage during a recording.  I switch to using the Uglies for their small size but there is no low voltage indication, so I'm trying to get a good idea of runtime and a target voltage measurement for when to change batts.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2008, 02:40:13 PM »
Maha 9.6V NiMHs are working well in the CA-Ugly with 4060s.
Voltage and runtime for my first usage are posted over in the Ugly thread.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.194 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com