Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Marantz 671 in the field...  (Read 95314 times)

Offline TenoRichards

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • Resident Taper/Audiophile Wannabe
    • Tenor
Re: Marantz 671 in the field...
« Reply #60 on: October 27, 2005, 02:56:47 AM »
they are in stock now. I ordered mine last nite and it shipped that evening.

I am .... moist.
dpa 4060's>BBox>acm modded pmd671 or Edirol r-09
www.tenorrichards.com

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • I thought I heard.......
« Reply #61 on: October 27, 2005, 07:37:42 AM »
I think we need a basic info sheet here:

POWERING
varries on internal batteries, but you can expect (running line in w/o phantom) to get up to or beyond 5 hours record time on NiMH cells, given they are fully functional and charged up.
Outboard power can range from 9-15v.  I run a 9v 5500mAh Walmart LiON cell, and got 5+ hours on 1/2 of the batteries estimated life (by the status lights) running mic in and phantom power w/a pair of 140s.  Given that 9v is on the bottom of the voltage rating here, I would suspect that once the voltage starts to drop lower than that than it will die. 
it does save before dying....  :-)

PRICE
$850 shipped from the Oades.
BCM is $100 more
ACM is probably $350-400 more...unknown specifics at this time.

POST MOD performance
once the ACM is performed, the unit looses its "line in" ability.  However, you can still run an outboard preamp "mic in" via XLRs.   The ACM mod, as Doug put it to me, is more of a T mod than a W mod.  Characteristics should be ultimate speed, clarity and the typical Oade massive 3 dimensional soundstage.

MEDIA

It will work (have seen it work myself) with Kingston, Lexar, Sandisc and probably other big name CF cards.  It will also work with microdrives from Hitatchi and IBM..but you would be high if you tried one of those at a high sample rate.  I would guess that even 24/48 may not be reliable.  I do not own one, but would like to try one out just for testing.  If it works at 24/44 then i'd be happy.  It would even be a nice 16bit solution I suppose...and I have no fear at all that it would work just fine at these lower resolutions.

"Nick says"..

the unit is very cool and relatively easy to use.  Ultimately configurable, and you gatta love the programable presets.
however, i neglected to mention in my innitial post that the headphone amp sucks.  Its very disapointing.  it can not drive my Senn 201s enough to hear them in the field. 
the DAP1 or an FR2 ...they power my cans easily and plenty LOUD.  but not the Marantz.  booooo!  but I can live with it.

Offline TenoRichards

• Taperssection Regular
  • Resident Taper/Audiophile Wannabe
    • Tenor
« Reply #62 on: October 27, 2005, 08:54:49 AM »
I think we need a basic info sheet here:

however, i neglected to mention in my innitial post that the headphone amp sucks.  Its very disapointing.  it can not drive my Senn 201s enough to hear them in the field. 
the DAP1 or an FR2 ...they power my cans easily and plenty LOUD.  but not the Marantz.  booooo!  but I can live with it.

Well damn. I'm sending mine BACK!!!

Oh no, wait, Doug doesn't do REFUNDS!!! Shit!!! I REALLY wanted this machine to be heard over the constant thumping of the timpani and bass drum...oh now...shit...I don't DO rock shows....damn....never mind....

;D

+t for the fact sheet, Nick. Way to go.
dpa 4060's>BBox>acm modded pmd671 or Edirol r-09
www.tenorrichards.com

Offline bagtagsell

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Man is condemned to be free- Sartre
« Reply #63 on: October 27, 2005, 10:06:14 AM »
will this fit in a nova 5?
MG200/210>m148>v3>MT2496

*aspiring gear slut of the month year*
"I am the gear slut goo goo g’joob g’goo goo g’joob"

Offline RDunn

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #64 on: October 27, 2005, 10:12:30 AM »
will this fit in a nova 5?

Quite nicely....
Schoeps MK4 > KC5 > CMC6 > Sound Devices 744T

Offline esteyes

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #65 on: October 27, 2005, 12:44:20 PM »
ghengis wrote:
quote]My Claypool is incomplete, the last couple songs are digital static (white noise) I'm thinking I powered down the recorder on accident somehow corrupting the last file.[/quote]

i would personally be concerned that the static is related to the type of memory you are using. the only time i had a corrupt file, well so far, is when the deck quit abruptly due to the battery sled issue i am having. and i could still play it back on the deck, just came up corrupted when i tried to xfer it to my computer. what brand is giving you the static??

zowie wrote:
So the upshot is that the 671's line inputs are set up for consummer level input?
[/color]

well, the RCA's are an unbalanced I/O, so it is not surprising that they would be consumer level. the point was really that even unbalancing the XLR OUTS of the FP33 and feeding the 671 via the RCA's required me to lower the output of the FP33 to borderline useless levels to get a decent headphone out (means the FP33 had lots of output signal on the XLR's), plus the FP33 was running wayyyy below unity gain. so for my setup MICS > Shure FP33 > 671 using the line in works just fine.

Nick says"..
however, i neglected to mention in my initial post that the headphone amp sucks.
[/color]

well one solution to weak headphones is to run a 9v or AA powered outboard amp..
http://cgi.ebay.com/PA2V2-Headphones-Amplifier-Rechargeable-Headphone-Amp_W0QQitemZ5822124107QQcategoryZ40138QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

or

http://cgi.ebay.com/The-Mini-Head-Headphone-Amp-Shellbrook-Audio-Lab_W0QQitemZ5823597345QQcategoryZ40138QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

or

http://cgi.ebay.com/Micro-Cmoy-headphone-amp-opamp2227-headphones_W0QQitemZ5822904014QQcategoryZ40138QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

and then again we might get lucky when doug or someone fianally gets ahold of a schematic. my HHB had weak headphones because of the method used to power the headphone IC. it basically used the + rail and ground. the trick was to cut the ground trace and connect the IC neg to the - rail. that effectively doubled the voltage swing the IC could deliver and the phones had twice the power available to drive them and they got acceptably loud. so don't quit outright because the headphones aren't loud enuff.

sitting here listening to the Mule show from last nite. i ran the M1 off the 671 DIG out and also ran a D8 off the 671 RCA analog out. will borrow that tape and do a little A/B comparison about the effects of truncating. not sure how scientific it will be tho'...

neil in san marcos
Neil Sturtevant
San Marcos, CA
AKG 451's + CK1/CK8/CK9
AKG 460's + CK61/CK63 or A60M + CK1/CK8/CK9  or MK46/CK1X/CK8X
Sennheiser K3U + MKE-2, ME20, ME40, ME80, ME88
Sennheiser MKH 110/2 x2 + MKH 110/1 powered via custom battbox
Busman BSC1-K1/K2/K3/K4
Shure FP33 or Sony DMX P01
Korg MR1000 or Sony M1
stealth: M1 > MKE-2/ME 20/ME40 in the hat
all cabling LINK (made in Germany) balanced or balanced miniature w/ Neutrik ends

making custom cables and serviceable (non-epoxy) ultraflush right angle cables plus other custom projects

Offline Rick

• Trade Count: (1)
    • My Recordings
« Reply #66 on: October 27, 2005, 01:03:31 PM »

I am .... moist.

ACM?
Retired Taper

Offline Chuck

• Trade Count: (42)
  • time between the notes...
    • My recordings on the LMA
« Reply #67 on: October 27, 2005, 01:10:16 PM »

I am .... moist.

ACM?

ACM parts are coming in December...
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000
Recorders: Sound Devices MixPre-6, iRiver iHP-120 (Rockboxed & RTC mod)

Recordings on the LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/ChuckM
Recording website & blog: http://www.timebetweenthenotes.com

Offline Craig T

• Trade Count: (10)
    • LMA
« Reply #68 on: October 27, 2005, 01:51:22 PM »
My Claypool is incomplete, the last couple songs are digital static (white noise) I'm thinking I powered down the recorder on accident somehow corrupting the last file.

the "white noise" is probably recoverable.  copy the static section and save it as a separate .raw file, import to your wav editor, use an offset (try several until it works - usually +1 or +2), and save as .wav with the proper bits and sample rate.  this is what we've been calling a "framing error" over at the pencomputingaudio yahoo group (PDAudio).
Schoeps cmc6/4v / Beyer mc950 / Line Audio CM3, OM1 / ADK A51 / Church Audio CA-14
Naiant Tinybox v2.2 / NBox(P) / Church Audio ST9200 / CA-UGLY
Sony PCM-M10 / Zoom F3 / Zoom F6

Offline twoodruff

• Trade Count: (91)
« Reply #69 on: October 27, 2005, 03:05:11 PM »
i'm just waiting on drew
No Mics
Clamps
Cables
No Preamp
Recorders

Offline prof_peabody

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Team Houston
« Reply #70 on: October 27, 2005, 03:24:36 PM »
+T for your reports Nick's

Offline spyder9

• Trade Count: (82)
  • "Are you Zman?"
    • My Archived shows
« Reply #71 on: October 27, 2005, 03:41:48 PM »
I figure, at the very least, I'll have a recorder that will do the job for a good number of years. The Microtrack seems like a toy to me, I viewed the JB3 the same way. It's not Pro stuff.

My take is I don't think the JB3 was intended to be Pro stuff, but by accident, it became that way.  I view the JB3 as the Mothership.  The first real dependable tapeless digital WAV recorder.  It launched everything else: Microtrack, SD 722 , the Marantz', etc..... with more to come.

Offline Genghis Cougar Mellen Khan

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Tin Can > Wax String > Dictaphone
« Reply #72 on: October 27, 2005, 04:13:20 PM »
ghengis wrote:
quote]My Claypool is incomplete, the last couple songs are digital static (white noise) I'm thinking I powered down the recorder on accident somehow corrupting the last file.
[/color]

i would personally be concerned that the static is related to the type of memory you are using. the only time i had a corrupt file, well so far, is when the deck quit abruptly due to the battery sled issue i am having. and i could still play it back on the deck, just came up corrupted when i tried to xfer it to my computer. what brand is giving you the static??

[/quote]

I don't think it's the card, I'm thinking I accidentally unplugged my SLA before it could save the (TOC) or whatever file.  Just for reference it's Kingston 45X 4GB.   I've used it other times @24/96 with no issue whatsoever.  The track goes from music to... digital white noise digital chirping, like the file is missing the propper mapping file, or that it's incomplete, it plays the white noise for about 14 mins (I'm guessing that's how much time I'm missing), it's not static on the recording, it's music>pure white noise digital chirping. 
« Last Edit: October 27, 2005, 07:12:10 PM by Genghis Cougar Mellen Khan »
Maybe a couple of small scratches, but thats because these mics are chick magnets.
Girls always up on Andy tryin to grab these mics, the scratches are from their wedding rings.

CMC641 / DPA4022 / DPA4062>mod MPS6030
V3 / PMD671 / field ready DV-RA1000 / Oade W-mod PMD661 / PCM-M10

« Reply #73 on: October 27, 2005, 04:16:13 PM »
My Claypool is incomplete, the last couple songs are digital static (white noise) I'm thinking I powered down the recorder on accident somehow corrupting the last file.

the "white noise" is probably recoverable.  copy the static section and save it as a separate .raw file, import to your wav editor, use an offset (try several until it works - usually +1 or +2), and save as .wav with the proper bits and sample rate.  this is what we've been calling a "framing error" over at the pencomputingaudio yahoo group (PDAudio).

I'll try that when I get home, as a .raw file, I only tried dragging/dropping or copy > paste, it would error out and give me the corrupt file message.  It's been a couple months and I still haven't formatted the card, something will work!  I didn't think of changing the file format.  :banging head:

Thanks for the suggestion Craig T +T
« Last Edit: October 27, 2005, 04:18:33 PM by Genghis Cougar Mellen Khan »
Maybe a couple of small scratches, but thats because these mics are chick magnets.
Girls always up on Andy tryin to grab these mics, the scratches are from their wedding rings.

« Reply #74 on: October 27, 2005, 06:52:52 PM »

One problem, I can't transfer the file onto my PC, corrupt file.  I suppose I can try dig coax > audiophile2496, I'm not sure if that'll work (bit perfect?) I recorded @24/48.

CORRECTION on my previous post, it's more of a chirp, not white noise.  I need to figure out how to post a sample clip...

Error message .gif below:
« Last Edit: October 27, 2005, 07:53:10 PM by Genghis Cougar Mellen Khan »

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.08 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com