Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: 744T vs current options  (Read 19202 times)

Offline nak700s

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: 744T vs current options
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2018, 01:41:11 PM »
Question for the mix-pre users:  On the 744T, when using the TRS line inputs, I can set my levels in the negatives when needed (eg. a hot line in from the SBD).  Are you able to do that on the mix pre's as well?  I would imagine they kept that feature, but figured I'd ask.
The range on inputs 5-6 of the MixPre6 (the 2.5mm stereo connector) is -40 dB to + 40 dB with firmware 2.20. Default is + 6 dB.

A useful point to note is you lose inputs 5/6 if using an external TC generator.

It was just a question out of curiosity.  I'm very happy with my 744T and have no intention of buying a MixPre...  Thank you for the answers :-)
Normal: Nakamichi CM-700's >> SD 744T (or) Sony PCM-M10
Normal: Crown CM-700's >> SD 302 >> SD 744T
Fun times: 3 Crown CM-700's >> SD 302 >> SD744T + 2 Nakamichi CM-700's >> SD744T
Stealth: CA-14c >> CA 9200 >> Edirol R-09HR
Ultra stealth: AudioReality >> AudioReality battery box >> Edirol R-09HR
Simple & Sweet!

Offline dointhatrag

• Taperssection Regular
    • my band
« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2018, 11:35:55 AM »
the functionality of the 7 series is second to none. Prices are coming down. Buy them up. In the past I used them for line in or digi in. with either sonosax or apogee in front. Never liked the pre's but like I said the functionality is amazing. Bullet proof and lots of pretty lights.
Schoeps + Neumann + DPA - Sonosax PR - Apogee Mini Me - 24/96

Offline tim in jersey

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2018, 09:08:19 AM »
Holding on to my 744t. I'm increasingly getting digital outs from the SBD as opposed to analog...

Offline Charlie Miller

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Come On, Get Happy
« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2018, 11:40:22 AM »
I'd skip the 744t and get a Mixpre-6!!  Unless you really need the digi in. 

There’s a heck of a lot more than just the digital in. The mix-pre is an excellent unit but not close to the 744 due to options.
Audio Engineer & Archivist for Steve Kimock Productions

Schoeps CMC6/MK4, AKG 460/CK61, AKG C34
Sound Devices 744T
Dante Multitrack Rig

Offline jbell

• TDS
  • Trade Count: (149)
  • Spreadicated
« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2018, 03:59:07 PM »
I would disagree.  Gordon and I compared ours to a friend's 788t and the touch screen alone makes it a better device for field recording not to mention Bluetooth.  The options I need for recording are built into the mixpre-6 with A LOT more extra features I don't need.  It also has 4 preamps versus the 2 on the 744.  There is a reason the 744 is selling cheap on ebay.  Again just my opinion.

There’s a heck of a lot more than just the digital in. The mix-pre is an excellent unit but not close to the 744 due to options.
Mics: DPA ST4011ER & 4018ER
Preamps: DPA MMA 6000 | Audioroot Femto
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre-10 II | Sony PCM A10

-20        -12         -6        TDS   (32/48)     
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][}   
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][} 
|Record|  Runtime: 4:19.99  {|||] 75%

Offline Charlie Miller

• Come On, Get Happy
« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2018, 11:51:21 AM »
I would disagree.  Gordon and I compared ours to a friend's 788t and the touch screen alone makes it a better device for field recording not to mention Bluetooth.  The options I need for recording are built into the mixpre-6 with A LOT more extra features I don't need.  It also has 4 preamps versus the 2 on the 744.  There is a reason the 744 is selling cheap on ebay.  Again just my opinion.

Obviously you have different needs from a recorder than I do because I sound not be able to use the mixpre due to lack of features. Agreed the touch screen is cool but has nothing to do with anything I need. The touch screen is also the last thing that would get me to buy a recorder.

Sound Devices 744T
Dante Multitrack Rig

Offline spyder9

• Trade Count: (82)
  • "Are you Zman?"
    • My Archived shows
« Reply #21 on: October 05, 2018, 12:33:00 PM »
I would like to see a Comp done between the 744 and the MixPre-6.  Use the exact same mics and power supplies.  Can anyone do that?  Pm Me.

I just did a recent Comp:  SD 302/Sony M10 combo and the MixPre-6.  The power supplies were Tekkeon MP3300's.  Mics were Nakamichi CM-1000 CP-101 (Sank P48).  I own two pair of these modded Naks.

So it can be done.

Offline Charlie Miller

• Come On, Get Happy
« Reply #22 on: October 05, 2018, 04:33:01 PM »
I would like to see a Comp done between the 744 and the MixPre-6.  Use the exact same mics and power supplies.  Can anyone do that?  Pm Me.

I just did a recent Comp:  SD 302/Sony M10 combo and the MixPre-6.  The power supplies were Tekkeon MP3300's.  Mics were Nakamichi CM-1000 CP-101 (Sank P48).  I own two pair of these modded Naks.

So it can be done.

I think there's a few phish tapers that have both 7xx and mixpre

Sound Devices 744T
Dante Multitrack Rig

Offline jbell

• TDS
  • Spreadicated
« Reply #23 on: October 05, 2018, 04:38:05 PM »
For field recording what features does the 744t have that the Mixpre-6 doesn't and makes it a better device for concert taping??  A lot of tapers have sold their 744's for Mixpre-6 recorders.  I've never owned a 744 so curious to hear about all the features that would make it a better device.  From checking a friends 788t it seems to have a similar feature set and I could not see any features for concert recording it has that the Mixpre-6 doesn't also have with the exception the 788T has 8 channels of preamps.   

Obviously you have different needs from a recorder than I do because I sound not be able to use the mixpre due to lack of features. Agreed the touch screen is cool but has nothing to do with anything I need. The touch screen is also the last thing that would get me to buy a recorder.

Offline old and in the way

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #24 on: October 07, 2018, 03:38:38 PM »
both the 744 and the mixpre series are great deck. i own a 788t and a 744t and a mixpre three. the pres on the 788t are in my opinion the best, then the mixpre 3 and then the 744t. the 744t and the 788t are tanks . the mixpre series are no where as robust a build . the mix pre has a smaller foot print and i use the three because of the size a lot .I have a few preamps that have aes so the 744t is used in certain places and i'd have to say with great results. When its wide open taping though the 788t is my go to deck.My moto is one can never have enough gear . i'm a hoarder of decks and mics but i find that they all serve there purpose.

Offline noahbickart

• phishrabbi
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • So now I wander over grounds of light...
« Reply #25 on: October 08, 2018, 08:33:02 AM »
I own a SD Mixpre6, and believe that it is superior to the 744 for my needs, for the following reasons:

1. Price.
A new Mixpre6 sells for less than a used 744.

2. Inputs.
Whereas the 744 has only 2 mixc pres on xlr, the mixpre6 has 4.
Whereas the 744 has 4 total channels (2 x Mic/line, 2 x line only) the mixpre6 has 6 (4 x Mic/line, 2 x line only). Those extra inputs are really helpful. Even if you don't have a 3rd pair or microphones, you can use that extra pair for a SBD patch or a line out of another Taper's gear.

3. Powering options.
The Mixpre can be run from a large capacity usb-c battery, internal AA batteries, & sony L type, whereas the 744 has only a hirose and L type. The bug usb-c battery runs the mixpre6 for over 18 hours and is smaller and lighter than any of the hirose solutions. A RA>RA USB-C cable makes the thing sit in the bag so well and is secure enough that I no longer run any kind of backup.

4. Size.
The Mixpre is much smaller than the 744. It's smaller than most small preamps tapers use, this means it fits in a much wider variety of bags, and is even  >:D friendly in a way a 744 isn't.

5. Wingman app
When I clamp- I love setting up my rig, closing the bag, dancing a few feet away, and starting and stopping (and monitoring levels of) the recording on my phone.

The only reason feature the 744 has over the Mixpre6 is its digital input. But If you're running an external AD converter and using the 744 as a bit bucket, you're not using any of the other fancy features of the 744.

The specs on the Mixpre6 are "better" than those of the 744, but I don't believe that you'd be able to hear the difference in a real world scenario.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2018, 08:35:25 AM by noahbickart »
Recording:
Capsules: Schoeps mk41v (x2), mk22 (x2), mk3 (x2), mk21 & mk8
Cables: 2x nbob KCY, 1 pair nbob actives, GAKables 10' & 20' 6-channel snakes, Darktrain 2 & 4 channel KCY and mini xlr extensions:
Preamps:    Schoeps VMS 02iub, Naiant IPA, Sound Devices Mixpre6 I
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre6 I, Sony PCM m10

Home Playback: Mac Mini> Mytek Brooklyn+> McIntosh MC162> Eminent Tech LFT-16; Musical Fidelity xCan v2> Hifiman HE-4XX / Beyerdynamic DT880

Office Playback: iMac> Grace m903> AKG k701 / Hifiman HE-400

Offline jbell

• TDS
  • Spreadicated
« Reply #26 on: October 08, 2018, 04:21:34 PM »
This was my earlier point.  I cannot find any evidence that the 744t has better features than the Mixpre-6!!!  To add to what Noah stated the firewire and CF cards would be a PITA for me.  The only advantage I see is digital input, which I wouldn't need. 

I own a SD Mixpre6, and believe that it is superior to the 744 for my needs, for the following reasons:

1. Price.

2. Inputs.
Whereas the 744 has 4 total channels (2 x Mic/line, 2 x line only) the mixpre6 has 6 (4 x Mic/line, 2 x line only). Those extra inputs are really helpful. Even if you don't have a 3rd pair or microphones, you can use that extra pair for a SBD patch or a line out of another Taper's gear.

3. Powering options.
The Mixpre can be run from a large capacity usb-c battery, internal AA batteries, & sony L type, whereas the 744 has only a hirose and L type. The bug usb-c battery runs the mixpre6 for over 18 hours and is smaller and lighter than any of the hirose solutions. A RA>RA USB-C cable makes the thing sit in the bag so well and is secure enough that I no longer run any kind of backup.

4. Size.
The Mixpre is much smaller than the 744. It's smaller than most small preamps tapers use, this means it fits in a much wider variety of bags, and is even  >:D friendly in a way a 744 isn't.

5. Wingman app
When I clamp- I love setting up my rig, closing the bag, dancing a few feet away, and starting and stopping (and monitoring levels of) the recording on my phone.

The only reason feature the 744 has over the Mixpre6 is its digital input. But If you're running an external AD converter and using the 744 as a bit bucket, you're not using any of the other fancy features of the 744.

The specs on the Mixpre6 are "better" than those of the 744, but I don't believe that you'd be able to hear the difference in a real world scenario.

Offline spyder9

• Trade Count: (82)
  • "Are you Zman?"
    • My Archived shows
« Reply #27 on: October 09, 2018, 11:33:45 AM »

1. Price.

2. Inputs.

3. Powering options.

4. Size.

5. Wingman app

6.  Sound?

Offline rippleish20

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #28 on: October 09, 2018, 11:45:10 AM »
I am in the I would buy a mixpre-* at this point camp, but the 744 has other nice features -  time code and you can link decks together.
AKG C480B (ck61, ck63, ck8) /  Neumann KM100 (AK40, AK50) / AT853s  (cardiod, omni) / CA-14 (cardiod) / CA-11 (Omni) / Mixpre-10t / Mixpre-6 / Roland R-07 / Zoom F-3
paypal: rippleish20@gmail.com

Offline Charlie Miller

• Come On, Get Happy
« Reply #29 on: October 23, 2018, 07:40:39 PM »
The 744 has so many clock options that the mixpre doesn't have. How many fps options are on the mixpre? Can you assign multiple mixes for output on the mixpre? That's a deal-breaker for me. Gotta be able to do at least two.

Sound Devices 744T
Dante Multitrack Rig

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.117 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com