Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Sonosax at no gain?  (Read 11784 times)

Offline shaggy

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • dwonk
Re: Sonosax at no gain?
« Reply #30 on: October 13, 2005, 08:36:58 PM »
No, you get at least 6dB of gain on the low setting with the dials turned to the left.  If you read the the numbers '6/20' on the left and '40/76' on the right, those are the gain values for lo/hi gain settings.  You want no gain? Flip the gain switch to the middle.

Offline neumannkid

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • Shows Ive taped on the archive
« Reply #31 on: October 13, 2005, 08:53:05 PM »
lo - not sure i've ever needed to run it at hi. doesn't the hi setting start @ 40db gain? i normally don't run more than 30-35 db on the low setting anyway.
Ive usually ran the gain on high it starts on 20db so Im typically running it around 30-35 db and its worked quite well for my setup. 

Offline jbraveman

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #32 on: October 13, 2005, 10:17:17 PM »
No, you get at least 6dB of gain on the low setting with the dials turned to the left.  If you read the the numbers '6/20' on the left and '40/76' on the right, those are the gain values for lo/hi gain settings.  You want no gain? Flip the gain switch to the middle.

Thanks.  I wasn't totally sure.  I've found myself closer to this range more often than not.  It has been suggest to me to run the ADC at the highest possible setting.  At loud shows this translates  into very little gain from the sax.

Offline silentmark

• Shine with or without cherries ?
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Boat, cucumber, wire ...
« Reply #33 on: October 14, 2005, 08:02:18 AM »

Thanks.  I wasn't totally sure.  I've found myself closer to this range more often than not.  It has been suggest to me to run the ADC at the highest possible setting.  At loud shows this translates  into very little gain from the sax.

I would do this, as running at the no gain setting does, as stated earlier in this thread, introduce background noise ...
Dissent is the highest form of patriotism. - Howard Zinn, not Thomas Jefferson ...

Mics: Neumann AK50/AK40/AK30/AK20(1 for M/S), AKG568eb's (gathering dust)
Decks: R-44 (OCM), Fostex FR2LE (OWM), Microtacker (semi-retired), D8 (retired), D7 (retired)
Pre-amps: Apogee Minime (semi-retired), Sonosax SX-M2 (semi-retired), Oade mod SBM-1 (retired)
Cables: LC3 actives (older lemo style x2), Audio Magic Hyper Conductor interconnects

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3qrWOOposQ

Offline ellaguru

• Trade Count: (17)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • the wendy hour
« Reply #34 on: October 20, 2005, 11:32:04 AM »
I ran 4022 > Sax (0 db) > SBM (10) > M1 for ABB this summer.  The levels were otherwise too hot.  I did not hear any problems.  I would be interested to know if there is a potential problem and if this should be avoided.

thats how i run the mg210's as well.   lowest gain setting is +6 on the dial.  i do have the -10db pad on the mics.  never tried that combo.

cr

Offline mhibbs

• Taperssection Member
  • it's all about the GA preamps
« Reply #35 on: October 28, 2005, 04:18:28 PM »
hmmm, i bet i do have a few tapes of those, but i always hated the MG>248 tapes, WAY too bright IMO
the schoeps>248 will have to be heard!

I've got some.  Also, I'm planning on running 4s>248>722 in Vegas this weekend.  So far, I've only run my 148 w/ the 722....kinda interested to see how the 248 sounds w/ the 4s at high bit rates.

mitch
Oade preamp museum curator

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.053 seconds with 34 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com