Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Could techflex be used to make iphone cables less flimsy  (Read 9230 times)

Offline vegeta_ban

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
Could techflex be used to make iphone cables less flimsy
« on: August 07, 2013, 12:49:13 AM »
It seems that every time I get one of the iphone/ipad cables it starts falling apart after a couple months. I carry it around to charge my phone as I use it heavily, in looking at the DIY xlr threads I saw people use the techflex stuff, could that be used to help protect the flimsy iphone cables?
Mics: Telefunken ELA M 260 Field Kit; Nakamichi cm 100/CP4 shotgun (CP 1&2); Nakamichi Cm 300 (CP 1, 2, & 3) x3  JB phantom power mod; Nakamichi Cm 1000s; Superlux CMH8K
Recorders: Sound Devices 722; Zoom F8; Edirol R44 Oade Concert Mod; Digimod UA5>Nomad Jukebox 3 (or Archos 605 wifi); Zoom H2; Zoom H6
Camcorder: Panasonic PV-GS300
Camera: Fujifilm X-E1 & various lenses; Fujifilm s100fs; Fujifilm S7000
Misc: Beachtek SVU-2

Online Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
Re: Could techflex be used to make iphone cables less flimsy
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2013, 10:00:07 AM »
Sure.  You just need the right diameter that will fit over the smaller end connector, or the slitted "wrap around the cable" variety which doesn't need to be slipped over the connector.  I've never used that version.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

stevetoney

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2013, 03:58:47 PM »
Don't your problems happen at the connector?  I'm not really seeing where the techflex would help there.  Maybe if you applied some shrinkwrap around the connector itself for stress relief, so that when you shrink it up the shrink grabs the base of the cable where it enters the connector too.

Stupid question I know, but when you pull to disconnect, do you pull from the cable or the connector itself.  If you pull from the cable, you're deffinitely shortening the life of your cables.

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2013, 05:32:06 PM »
My daughter has gone thru 2 cables already... We got a new cable from another vendor and its been very reliable. I will look it up I assume we are talking about the micro connector correct? for the iphone 5?
update :The company that made the new cable my daughter has is called "Rocketfish" This company normally makes low end products but this cable is well made with very good quality material. This cable should last quite some time it was $18 here in Canada available at Futureshop.ca
The main problem with the apple cable is the outer jacket is very thin unlike the iphone 4 cable for my phone that uses the larger connector.  That cable is much better quality. I would not be surprised if there was not a class action lawsuit against apple for this crappy cable.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2013, 08:19:18 PM by Church-Audio »
for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

Offline DigiGal

• AES Associate Member
  • Trade Count: (30)
  • Stay healthy and safe!
    • DigiGal Internet Archive Recordings
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2013, 07:42:50 PM »
My daughter has gone thru 2 cables already... We got a new cable from another vendor and its been very reliable. I will look it up I assume we are talking about the micro connector correct? for the iphone 5?

I'm on my second one of those lightning cables. The problem I had was the contact terminals on one side actually came off the insulating material. The original is actually still usable since they can be installed either way. I keep the damaged one at the office as a spare so it worked out okay.
Mics: AKG CK91/CK94/CK98/SE300 D-330BT | DPA 4060 4061 4266 | Neumann TLM 103 | Senn ME66/K6/K6RD MKE2 MD421 MD431 | Shure VP88 SM7B SM63L SM58 Anniversary Cables: Gotham GAC-4/1 Quad w/Neutrik EMC | Gotham GAC-2pair w/AKG MK90/3 connectors | DigiGal AES>S/PDIF cable Preamp: SD MixPre-D Recorders: SD MixPre 6 | Marantz PMD 661 Edit: 2011 27" 3.4GHz Quad i7 iMac High Sierra | 2020 13" MBA Quad i7 Catalina | Wave Editor | xACT | Transmission | FCP X 

Offline OOK

• Trade Count: (17)
  • formerly OtherOneK
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2013, 07:58:58 PM »

Monoprice sells a IPhone 5 cables cheap.... we are talking 12$us... cheap.  they also sell varied lengths.  I plan on buying a 3' and a 10'.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/subdepartment.asp?c_id=108&cp_id=10831#1083111
DPA/HEB 4060's > R09HR
MBHO648/KA100Lk/KA200/KA300/KA500 > SD702

Offline vegeta_ban

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2013, 06:04:28 AM »
thanks that helps a lot.
Mics: Telefunken ELA M 260 Field Kit; Nakamichi cm 100/CP4 shotgun (CP 1&2); Nakamichi Cm 300 (CP 1, 2, & 3) x3  JB phantom power mod; Nakamichi Cm 1000s; Superlux CMH8K
Recorders: Sound Devices 722; Zoom F8; Edirol R44 Oade Concert Mod; Digimod UA5>Nomad Jukebox 3 (or Archos 605 wifi); Zoom H2; Zoom H6
Camcorder: Panasonic PV-GS300
Camera: Fujifilm X-E1 & various lenses; Fujifilm s100fs; Fujifilm S7000
Misc: Beachtek SVU-2

Offline Church-Audio

« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2013, 05:34:49 PM »
thanks that helps a lot.
Fixing that cable with techflex might extend the life if you can manage to put heatshrink over the techflex towards the little connector. But really you are just postponing the inevitable. The problem is the shield wire is too flimsy and this is what often fails on these cables. It then can and sometimes does short out against one or more of the internal wires inside the shield.

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2013, 07:25:00 PM »
I just take very good care of my iPod cables and they have lasted me years. I keep them wrapped up with Velcro when they're not in use and they seem to last just fine. My oldest iPod cable is five years old!
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline Church-Audio

« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2013, 07:54:44 PM »
I just take very good care of my iPod cables and they have lasted me years. I keep them wrapped up with Velcro when they're not in use and they seem to last just fine. My oldest iPod cable is five years old!
Bean the old cables are built very much differently than the new ones.. The new ones are very flimsy. I too have old Iphone / ipod cables that have lasted for years. I even have a first gen iphod 5 gig I still use for when I exercise. Actually the weight of the ipod helps my work out lol. The original was firewire.. The cable is like a xlr cable in thickness.

Offline Mescolito

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
    • On Stage Solutions
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2013, 03:29:16 PM »
Techflex can Definitely make the cable less "flimsy." Although, I don't believe it will make them less prone to breakage (I've had issues where the cable meets the connector) unless you use heat-shrink tubing as suggested (over the connectors as well). 

I'll try to attach a pic of a couple of cables that I covered with Techflex (Flexo PET) 1/8" in different colors.  I finished one with heat-shrink (black) at each end of the Techflex, and the other has printed heat-shrink over the connectors.

1/8" Techflex Flexo PET fits easily over the small "Lightning" end of the USB-Lightning cable, but will not fit over the USB end, so if you're trying to cover a USB-30 Pin cable, it won't work.

Hope this helps.

Offline Church-Audio

« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2013, 07:20:25 AM »
Techflex can Definitely make the cable less "flimsy." Although, I don't believe it will make them less prone to breakage (I've had issues where the cable meets the connector) unless you use heat-shrink tubing as suggested (over the connectors as well). 

I'll try to attach a pic of a couple of cables that I covered with Techflex (Flexo PET) 1/8" in different colors.  I finished one with heat-shrink (black) at each end of the Techflex, and the other has printed heat-shrink over the connectors.

1/8" Techflex Flexo PET fits easily over the small "Lightning" end of the USB-Lightning cable, but will not fit over the USB end, so if you're trying to cover a USB-30 Pin cable, it won't work.

Hope this helps.

These look good. What I do with cable and techflex on both ends I add a tiny bit of epoxy and work it into the fiber at the ends of the cable then heatshrink over top of that. Makes for a pretty strong cable. But again this cable is so shit-tastic that you look at it the wrong way and it breaks.

Offline tgakidis

• Trade Count: (552)
    • My Recordings on the Archive:
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2013, 11:22:44 AM »

These look good. What I do with cable and techflex on both ends I add a tiny bit of epoxy and work it into the fiber at the ends of the cable then heatshrink over top of that. Makes for a pretty strong cable.

I use hot glue.  Easier to remove or modify, if needed, then epoxy.
GAKables: Custom XLR, Digi & Batt Cables http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=133186.0

Mics: Schoeps CMC6 x 4, Schoeps CMC1K x 2 / Schoeps KC 5G x 2 / Schoeps MK4,MK41,MK21,MK22 x 2 / Austrian Audio OC818 Dual Set+ / Telefunken TF-11 x 2 / Telefunken ELA M 260 x 4 / Telefunken M960FS x 2 / TK60,TK61,TK62 x 2 / Telefunken M60,TK60 x 2 / AKG c426b / AKG c34 / nBob AKG Actives>PFA x 4 / CK61,CK63,CK8 x 2 / AT853 4.7k Mod (Card,Sub)
Pres: Sonosax SX-AD8+ / Sonosax SX-M2D2 / Sonosax SX-M2 / Lunatec V3
Recs: Sonosax SX-R4+ / Sound Devices MixPre-6ii / Marantz PMD-661 / Roland R-07 / Zoom F3

My Recordings: https://archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%28Gakidis%29&sort=-da

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2013, 08:05:06 AM »

Hope this helps.

These look good. What I do with cable and techflex on both ends I add a tiny bit of epoxy and work it into the fiber at the ends of the cable then heatshrink over top of that. Makes for a pretty strong cable. But again this cable is so shit-tastic that you look at it the wrong way and it breaks.

Shit-tastic! I LOVE that ;D 8)
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.109 seconds with 42 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com