Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Roland R-07, Part 2  (Read 44180 times)

Offline taper2019

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Re: Roland R-07, Part 2
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2019, 12:13:50 AM »
Hey,
Yes I already read all 29 pages 2 weeks ago, I remember the posts about the ticks but didn’t remember you writing about circuits possibly switching right at 60 level, interesting you also noticed this sound I knew I was definitely hearing something different there....
So what do you mean by ‘switching circuits’ ?, does that have something to do with the limiters?, I take it that the limiter is not being used (even though I can hear that louder pop at level 60 with limiter OFF) and everything is OK?
Thanks for the info.

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
  • Trade Count: (31)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • The plural of anecdote is not data
« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2019, 12:46:03 AM »
i just noticed that it was quieter from 60-70 input level than it was from 40-50, as if it switched internally from some line-in to some mic-in circuit or something

take those tests with a grain of salt the input setup wasnt super representative IIRC, wasnt measured wth a known impedance or anything
Unable to post or PM due to arbitrary censorship of people the mod doesn't like. Please email me using the link in my profile if you need to connect

Offline Niels

• Taperssection Regular
R-07 Firmware v1.100 and remote app update
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2019, 03:23:13 AM »
R-07 Firmware update

I just noticed an Roland remote app update on my iPhone, and checked to see if the firmware was updated as well:
https://www.roland.com/global/support/by_product/r-07/updates_drivers/

Firmware is updated to Ver.1.100
There are added quite a number of new features as well as some fixes.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2019, 04:17:16 AM by Niels »
Roland R-07 -> FEL Communications Clippy EM172 Omnis or pair of RØDE Lavaliers.
iPhone 14 -> Shure MV88 or Sennheiser AMBEO Smart Headset

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2019, 04:42:04 AM »
UPDATE HISTORY
[ Ver.1.100 ] MAR 2019
Additional Functions
Please refer to the "Functions Added in R-07 System Program Ver.1.10" for detailed information in the [ Owner's Manuals ].
R-07 itself

You can connect the R-07 via USB to your computer, iPhone, or iPad, and use it as a USB audio interface.
    Supported operating systems are as follows.
    Windows 7, Windows 8.1, Windows 10
    OS X 10.10, OS X 10.11, macOS 10.12, macOS 10.13, macOS 10.14
    iOS 11, iOS 12

* Only Sample Rate "44.1 kHz / 48.0 kHz" is supported.
    * It does not support Android.
    If "Recording mode" is set to 2xWAV (Dual level recording), you can adjust the volume of the quieter recording.
    The name of the CODEC on the connected Bluetooth A2DP device is now displayed on the Bluetooth/Information screen.

R-07 Remote

By operating an "R-07 Remote" app installed on your mobile device, you can simultaneously control up to four R-07 units.
    You can also start recording on multiple R-07 units simultaneously.
    You can perform playback operations from an Apple Watch.

Functionality Improvements
R-07 Remote

Operation from an Apple Watch even while the iPhone is in sleep mode is now possible.
    Connectivity between the R-07 and R-07 Remote has been improved.

Bug Fixes
The following bugs were fixed.
R-07 itself

Transfer speed when connected via USB sometimes grows slow.
    The rehearsal function fails to work when the Rec Mode is set to "2xWAV (Dual level recording)."

< If You're Using R-07 Remote >
Using the new functionality in R-07 Remote requires updating the R-07 Remote app.
iOS version
Use R-07 Remote when updated to version 1.1.2 or later.
* R-07 Remote version 1.1.2 can be used under iOS 11 and after.

Android version
Use R-07 Remote when updated to version 1.1.2 or later.
* R-07 Remote version 1.1.2 can be used under Android 5 and after.
Unable to post or PM due to arbitrary censorship of people the mod doesn't like. Please email me using the link in my profile if you need to connect

Offline ideal77dlr

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • Mo To The Fo
« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2019, 05:07:33 AM »
By operating an "R-07 Remote" app installed on your mobile device, you can simultaneously control up to four R-07 units.

This is an interesting development.
Sony D7 DAT : Edirol R-09HR : CA-11s (cards & OMNIs): CA-14s : SP-CMC-2s : CA-1900

Offline Niels

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2019, 05:30:23 AM »

This appears to be functionality primarily implemented in the mobile APP, but seemingly a significant development effort, so I guess there must be a demand.
I personally don't really see how this will come in handy, so it is obviously not done to please me :)

What kind of use-cases do you think this could be useful?

Offline ideal77dlr

• Taperssection Regular
  • Mo To The Fo
« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2019, 06:35:52 AM »

This appears to be functionality primarily implemented in the mobile APP, but seemingly a significant development effort, so I guess there must be a demand.
I personally don't really see how this will come in handy, so it is obviously not done to please me :)

What kind of use-cases do you think this could be useful?

I’m thinking of doing some matrix or ‘backup’ type recordings this summer - one set of Cards and one set of Omnis. This kind of feature (if I had 2 R-07s) would make setting levels easier.

Also if you were open recording two separate rigs in different locations at a venue, I’d think this would make it much easier to manage.
Sony D7 DAT : Edirol R-09HR : CA-11s (cards & OMNIs): CA-14s : SP-CMC-2s : CA-1900

Offline Niels

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #22 on: March 31, 2019, 06:58:08 AM »

I’m thinking of doing some matrix or ‘backup’ type recordings this summer - one set of Cards and one set of Omnis. This kind of feature (if I had 2 R-07s) would make setting levels easier.

Also if you were open recording two separate rigs in different locations at a venue, I’d think this would make it much easier to manage.

Thanks! I can see how this could be useful.

Videographers often put a Lav attached to a recorder in the pocket of the talents (at weddings for example) and sync in post, and I initially thought it could be useful to control levels on several recorders, but I imagine the reach of Bluetooth will limit the usability to mostly stationary situations.

Offline PaulCayard

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #23 on: March 31, 2019, 07:57:10 AM »
Yesterday I've tried the new version "on the field" and it was all ok. Disconnection (android smartphone) after putting smartphone in stand-by is not fixed yet, but workaround described in this thread is ok also with new fw.
Mics: Nakamichi CM-300 JB mod (CP-1, CP-3), AT853 4.7k mod (SC/C/H), AT U853 4.7k mod (C/H), CA-14 (C)
Pre-amp/Power: CA-9200, CA-9100, CA-UBB, SP-SPSB-10
Recorder: Roland R-07, Sony M10, Tascam DR-2d (x2), Roland R-05

Offline magmazing

• Taperssection Regular
    • Magmazing Music
« Reply #24 on: April 01, 2019, 08:20:57 PM »
I still can't walk away 10 feet from the soundboard at a busy nightclub without the recorder's bluetooth from disconnecting from my phone.
I shoot concert video and post my footage to YouTube
http://www.youtube.com/magmazing
http://www.youtube.com/victoriabcmusicscene

My Current Equipment:
Canon HF S100 Camcorder
Canon 70D dSLR
Panasonic ZS100 digital camera
Sony HX10V Digital Camera
Edirol R-09HR Digital Audio Recorder
Church Audio CA-11 microphones

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
« Reply #25 on: April 01, 2019, 08:30:54 PM »
I still can't walk away 10 feet from the soundboard at a busy nightclub without the recorder's bluetooth from disconnecting from my phone.

thats unfortunate. even the lowest bluetooth spec should be good to 33 feet. 2.0 to 100 feet

Offline junkyardt

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #26 on: April 01, 2019, 10:13:07 PM »
i own 3 R-07's and have just updated the firmware on all of them and am playing around with the link feature. this seems like it will be very cool. has anyone figured out a way to change the name of the particular R-07 in the app (the list of (Bluetooth MIDI Devices')? they all show up as 'Roland R-07 MIDI', which is going to get rather confusing if you're using multiple units at the same time and they're all named the same. it would be helpful to be able to change the name to reflect the use case for that individual unit.

Offline binone

• Taperssection Newbie
Roland R-07, Part 2
« Reply #27 on: April 03, 2019, 03:26:59 AM »
Are still the lights unmanageable in menu?

« Last Edit: April 03, 2019, 02:42:00 PM by binone »

Offline checht

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Let's meet at alternate foods at the break
« Reply #28 on: April 04, 2019, 01:53:27 AM »
Hello,
Looking for some advise on gain level for a loud concert using the Roland R-07.
First time using Roland R-07 and I don’t want to be messing about with the gain level when the show starts!
[snip]

Here's how I get a rough sense of how to set gain on a new deck:

Set up my mics in front of a living room speaker, connect a recorder I'm used to running, hit record and set gain to roughly what I'd use at the type of show to be recorded. Turn up living room stereo's volume until I'm seeing levels that I like. Pause playback.

Connect new recorder to mics without changing their position and start recording. Unpause the stereo's playback, and adjust gain to levels I like.

I tend to reduce gain a bit after that, to ensure first run doesn't come close to overloading.

Not perfect, but works well enough.
Schoeps MK41 x 2, MK22 x 2; Vanguard V1s matched pair; Niaint x8
Schoeps kcy5, nbob actives
Naiant PFA 60v, PFA 48v, IPA
Sound Devices MP-6II; Sony PCM-A10

Recordings at LMA

Offline gaoping561

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #29 on: April 04, 2019, 03:05:26 AM »
Compare with Sony M10 and Roland R05, the highest gain level of Roland R07 is lower.  Does it also has a hidden menu like Roland R05?  Another problem is r07 will reduce the gain level when use plug-in mic.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.303 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com