Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Can someone identify this noise for me? - Figured it out...I think!?!?  (Read 3581 times)

Offline Cheesecadet

• Trade Count: (21)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • http://db.etree.org/cheesecadet
Lokking for someone's expertise to help me identify what type of static noise this is in the right channel?

http://we.tl/pHE2umojzE

Is it a possible faulty XLR cable, RFI, Faulty Capsule, loose connection somewhere maybe?

I do not think it is a capsule because I recorded another show a couple weeks ago and there was no noise present on that recording.  Thought I would inquire here.

Thanks for any and all help in trying to determine what this may be.

Ryan
« Last Edit: March 12, 2016, 10:52:33 AM by Cheesecadet »
AKG 481's, DPA 4061's (Matched), AT ES933's w/ AT853-ELE's (SC/C/O), ECM-19B's, MixPre-3, A10, M10 x 2, Hi Ho Silvers, Various Darktrain & GAKables

Vinyl:
Fluance RT83 Reference > MCS 3230 Receiver > Realistic MC-500's (NOS)

Upcoming:
04/22 Howie Day
05/04 Harry Mack (?)
05/10 Adam Bodine Quartet
06/07 Bill Frisell Trio
06/08 Common
06/19 Sensational Barnes Brothers
06/20 Adam Bodine Quintet
07/19 Chali 2na & Cut Chemist
07/30 Tomorrows Bad Seeds

Offline EricM

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Re: Can someone identify this noise for me?
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2016, 01:35:35 PM »
I'm going to guess and say RFI from a cell phone. Were you moving around much during the show? I had a problem recently from standing and sitting down a few times at a show. It tugged on my connections and caused similar sounds. I actually lost my R channel for most of the recording.

Offline Cheesecadet

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2016, 04:21:22 PM »
Thanks for your reply. This was an open taping situation so there was no jostling of cables from moving around.

Not really sure what RFI sounds like or if it is staticky or like a radio signal or both?

Thought maybe loose or dirty connections possibly? Would love more insight of anyone can provide it.

Thx
AKG 481's, DPA 4061's (Matched), AT ES933's w/ AT853-ELE's (SC/C/O), ECM-19B's, MixPre-3, A10, M10 x 2, Hi Ho Silvers, Various Darktrain & GAKables

Vinyl:

Upcoming:
04/22 Howie Day
05/04 Harry Mack (?)
06/07 Bill Frisell Trio
06/08 Common

Offline edtyre

• Trade Count: (85)
  • Team Philly " No Excuses, Just Tapes"
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2016, 05:15:13 PM »
I had sounds like that one on some of my recordings that i determined
were caused by the in-house wi-fi network at the venue. The one that the artists use.
I had used these networks before and my Iphone automatically connected since they dont have passwords.
Since i put my phone in airplane mode at every show now, i haven't had any problems.

music>mics>pre>recorder

Offline Cheesecadet

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2016, 08:05:40 PM »
I should also mention it only occurs in right channel. Is that normal for RFI or would it normally effect both channels? 

It does not last the entire show either.

EDIT:
I just tested my whole chain again in my hotel room and there is no static in either channel.  Jostled theXLRs and everything and the signal is crystal clear.  I am hoping this was just a fluke and thankfully I was running another rig as well so there is an unblemished copy.  I would like to know what this could be though if anyone has any ideas or possibly something they have come across either on TS.com or youtube/elsewhere.  Maybe you have had something similar before and were able to figure out what caused it? 
« Last Edit: March 06, 2016, 10:43:15 PM by Cheesecadet »

Vinyl:

Upcoming:
04/22 Howie Day
05/04 Harry Mack (?)
06/07 Bill Frisell Trio
06/08 Common

Offline eman

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Return of the Shredi
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2016, 04:24:46 PM »
I have a problem like this in my Mutron Phasor. I have been unable to locate it. The fact that you cured it with cable jostling makes me think it's a connection problem. Perhaps my next step will be replacing the jacks in the unit, maybe that's what you need do as well. I replaced all of my electrolytic capacitors, didn't help, cleaned pots, touched up solder joints.
Theologically speaking, the two parties have divided the Seven Deadly Sins as follows: Republicans oppose lust, sloth and envy; Democrats scorn gluttony, greed, wrath and pride. Little progress is reported. -Gene Lyons

Offline morst

• I think I found an error on the internet; #UnionStrong
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2016, 07:15:40 PM »
could be a dirty connector... Tried Caig DeOxIt?
http://store.caig.com/s.nl/sc.2/category.292/.f
https://toad.social/@morst spoutible.com/morst post.news/@acffhmorst

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2016, 08:58:48 PM »
Sounds like jostling cables didn't fix or create noise so I doubt its a connector, but clean your connectors anyway, that's cheap and easy and may need to be done anyway. If it occurs again, swap the mics only, not the cables or anything else in the signal chain and see if the noise switches sides along with the microphone.

Moisture or dirt/smoke-film on the diaphragm of a condenser mic can cause a similar static like sound.  If it's humidity or moisture, it often goes away after the mics warm up and drive the moisture off.  Store them with some desiccant for a while to be sure they are completely dry. I had a Microtech Gefell mic exhibit a very similar type of static noise, which was aggravated by humidity, and needed to send it back to the factory for reconditioning.  Came back as good as new though.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline Cheesecadet

« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2016, 10:53:15 PM »
Sounds like jostling cables didn't fix or create noise so I doubt its a connector, but clean your connectors anyway, that's cheap and easy and may need to be done anyway. If it occurs again, swap the mics only, not the cables or anything else in the signal chain and see if the noise switches sides along with the microphone.

Moisture or dirt/smoke-film on the diaphragm of a condenser mic can cause a similar static like sound.  If it's humidity or moisture, it often goes away after the mics warm up and drive the moisture off.  Store them with some desiccant for a while to be sure they are completely dry. I had a Microtech Gefell mic exhibit a very similar type of static noise, which was aggravated by humidity, and needed to send it back to the factory for reconditioning.  Came back as good as new though.

Thanks to everyone for the continued input.

I did travel from Denver to San Diego to record the show so the whole moisture angle might be it. 

I seemed to have eliminated the issue now but I will report back after next shows to see if anything reoccurs.

Ryan

Vinyl:

Upcoming:
04/22 Howie Day
05/04 Harry Mack (?)
06/07 Bill Frisell Trio
06/08 Common

Offline deadahead93

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
    • Archive.org
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2016, 02:13:25 PM »
Is this noise in your 480's?

If so, check the tiny little screws on the bottom side of the mics, back where you connect your XLRs. If those screws get lose, they will make it sound like a bad connection. I had an issue with mine after last summer and it was driving me nuts!!! Can't remember who, but someone here on TS told me to tighten these screws... once I did, back to normal ;)

Thought maybe this would help.
Cheers Ryan!
http://archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%22HClayton%22

Constantly choosing the lesser of two evils is still choosing evil.
 ~ Jerry Garcia

Mics: AKG  C480B / (CK61, CK63)
Cables: GAKables
Preamp: Naiant Biggest Box
Recorder: Tascam DR-07

Offline Cheesecadet

« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2016, 10:52:09 AM »
Think I got it figured out...it appears that the pad switch on one of the mic bodies was not totally in place at "0".  I toggled those switches a bit and made sure they were in place where they should be and the static is gone.

I will continue to test to be sure but I think that was the culprit.

Thanks for all the feedback!

Ryan in CO

Vinyl:

Upcoming:
04/22 Howie Day
05/04 Harry Mack (?)
06/07 Bill Frisell Trio
06/08 Common

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.099 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com