Gear / Technical Help > Microphones & Setup

going to 4 mics - Nuemann & Nakamichi should I mix omni & cardoid

(1/3) > >>

royjratc:
Just bought a pair of Nuemann KM 184 to replace my Nakamichi CM-300 which I had always used with the CP-1 (cardoid)cartridge - Since I'm using a Tascam DR-70D I would like to record using all 4 mics - My question is if I should run the Nakamichi with the omni CP-2 cartridge since the Nuemann are cardoid?

I normally record in a small blues/rock club about 30' back from the stage 7" in the air with my mics pointed at the stacks - I do outside festivals as well - And yes....I'm new to all of this :headphones: Roy

morst:
I would be inclined to run your CP-1's and the 184's side-by-side once or twice as a comparison, just so you know what you have now, then branch out from there.

If you have Omni caps, sure, try those instead of the cards on the Nak300's some time.

You might want to mix sources. You might not. Nice thing about having 4 channels is that you can decide later!

Enjoy, experiment, take chances, and please let us know how it goes!
 8)

F.O.Bean:

--- Quote from: morst on May 27, 2017, 01:45:54 AM ---
Enjoy, experiment, take chances, and please let us know how it goes!
 8)

--- End quote ---

Exactly! I LOVE having the mk4 cards and mk41 supercards running 4 channels, and I can always decide to do a 4 Channel DAUD Matrix if it came out good enough and my capsules were vertically and horizontally aligned 8) ;)

royjratc:
Thanks guys! I'm heading out Sunday to catch a band and I'm planning on running all 4 - Sometimes the room is quite empty on Sunday- no chatter - If so I'll run my omni catridges - If it's packed I'll run with the CP-1 The band does have a sax playing so I may try to aim a mic right at him instead of just at the pa

jnorman34:
The boojum/jnorman array is a great to cover your bases in any venue.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version