Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Video Recording - Have some questions..  (Read 3724 times)

Offline techgui

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
Video Recording - Have some questions..
« on: March 18, 2012, 09:25:32 AM »
I have to record a school musical next week.  I plan to take an audio feed from the console to my Tascam Dr-2D.  I'll be using 2 camcorders.  One stationary, recording the entire stage.  The other will be used to zoom and pan to specific scenes.  Sony Vegas will be used to edit the whole thing.  My question involves camera settings. 

1.  I assume I should be using FXP (17mbps) rather than XP+(12 mbps).  Right or wrong?
2.  White balance - For stage lighting should I use Automatic or custom.  If custom, whats the proper procedure to set it?

Thanks,
John

Offline techgui

• Taperssection Regular
Re: Video Recording - Have some questions..
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2012, 12:04:37 PM »
No One???

Most of you folks record concerts?  Same thing stage lights often with colored filters.  Do you bring a white card and walk up to the stage to set white balance?  Or do you just use auto white balance.   

runonce

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2012, 12:16:58 PM »
Your going to have to read the manual for the white balance issue...Im sure every camera is a bit different - some details might provoke some responses. I think I made some Iris adjustments as well the last time I ran camera...

In general - I think videographers don't care for auto-anything as it can jump around or auto-adjust at inopportune moments...especially if you have light scenes changing with any frequency.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2012, 12:20:11 PM by runonce »

Offline beatkilla

• Trade Count: (70)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2012, 09:33:42 PM »
What cameras are you using? I would for sure record with the highest bit rate. And the newer sony cams are quite acceptable in auto white balance.with a mixed gel lighting there is no constant kelvin temperature so it is not possible to make one temperature reading id stick with intelligent auto white balance if you have it.

Offline shoestringconcerts

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Regular
    • Shoestringconcerts
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2012, 03:53:14 AM »
im possible to answer with incomplete data.  want a good answer supply all info. 

What cameras.

and i would recommend running room mics and a board feed into your dr2d.
Tascam dr2d - Tascam Dr60
Video: Canon M50/M500 (5)
Panasonic LX7 (2) - Sony EOS-M (2)
Sony HC1 - Panasonic SD600 - Sanyo FH1
www.shoestringconcerts.com

Offline techgui

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2012, 12:14:36 PM »
It's a Canon HF-R10.  I know how to manually set the white balance, I just don't know what to use as a reference in this situation. 

Concerning audio.  I may be able to do a board feed, but the board/lighting guy is so busy right know he doesn't have time to deal with it.  It's a Mackie board with an XLR monitor output connector.  He said he has a box full of adapters somewhere.  And off hand I don't know whether it's stereo or mono. 

Offline shoestringconcerts

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Regular
    • Shoestringconcerts
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2012, 08:29:18 PM »
  He said he has a box full of adapters somewhere. 

Usually XLR outs are single channel mono and you are suppose to show up with the needed cable. 

I travel with XLR, 1/4, RCA to 3.5 so I am ready for any situation.  Each cable cost less than $5.
Tascam dr2d - Tascam Dr60
Video: Canon M50/M500 (5)
Panasonic LX7 (2) - Sony EOS-M (2)
Sony HC1 - Panasonic SD600 - Sanyo FH1
www.shoestringconcerts.com

Offline techgui

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2012, 10:10:22 PM »
Thanks all.  They did a sound check this evening and the board feed worked great.  Didn't even need attenuators cable.  I set line in to 95 and the highest peak was 0db. 

Offline Red Boink

• Trade Count: (27)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2012, 06:40:59 PM »
A carbon arc spot is 5000k+ so manually white balance in daylight, and keep it in memory using it in manual.  Then as lights shift color, they'll be recorded close to what your eyes see.  If you leave it in auto wb, the camera will always be trying to shift any color change to white...  not good.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.138 seconds with 37 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com