Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Outdoor Bag suggestions ( Petrol Pegz owners, please enter)  (Read 18526 times)

Offline Matt Quinn

• No Ceilings
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • beep boop
Outdoor Bag suggestions ( Petrol Pegz owners, please enter)
« on: April 13, 2009, 01:12:29 PM »
Well with summer rolling up here, I'm trying to find a bag that I can run in a hurricane & not worry about. Bag needs to hold:

-V3
-pair of Schoeps bodies

+ standard various accesories.....batteries, couple clamps, mounts, screens, capsules etc.

I'd really like something with a clear plastic piece that allows you to see the gear while running. I poked around the Portabrace site, but they look a little too 'open' to run in any kind of bad rain. Then there's the Sonicase, that looks nice, but pricey. Any other suggestions?
« Last Edit: April 17, 2009, 04:33:25 PM by M »
In: AT853>PMD620
Out: PC>MOTU Ultralite AVB>M-Audio BX8a/Grace m900

DAW: Ableton Live 10

My LMA Recordings

Offline flipp

• resident curmudgeon
  • Trade Count: (17)
Re: Outdoor Bag suggestions
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2009, 01:25:34 PM »
The Portabrace AO-number series is what you want from Portabrace, not the AO-B series.

There are always the Petrol Pegz series bags which many tsers rave about.

Lastly, look at the Sundo series from Kata (www.kata-bags.com).

Offline T.J.

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Always look on the Bright Side of Life
    • My shows taped on LMA
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2009, 01:37:41 PM »
IMHO for protection in the rain you can't beat the lowepro nova AW (all weather) series. they have an attached rainflap that covers your gear in the rain. you'd probably need a NOVA 5 for that amount of gear (maybe a 4). obviously if there is massive rain i carry a heavy duty trash compactor bag to throw over everything for added protection.

i also have the 722 in a portabrace bag at all times, which fits into the nova AW bag. so, if i want to keep the bag open i have a little added protection from the "elements" (i.e. spilled beers, spun wooks....)

i am really happy with this combo and will never switch it.

Offline rsimms3

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2009, 02:11:54 PM »
Definately the Nova 5.  I have a UA-5, a MTII, stereo bar, clamp, 17' XLR cables, 2 DVD batteries, IRiver, business cards, 2nd clamp, extra AA batteries, and misc. cables in my Nova.  It is just easier to pack when you have the space to arrange stuff.  I also find that the Nova 5 has better dividers than the Nova 4.  I haven't had the luck of "testing" my Nova 5 and hope to never need to.  The included cover doesn't cover as much as I would like it to, but looks to be good for repelling most things with the top closed.
FOR SALE - Check HERE

Offline Matt Quinn

• No Ceilings
  • beep boop
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2009, 02:21:47 PM »
Do he Nova's have a clear flap to see the gear while running?

Poking around these Pegz bags, they are really nice. I think I've only seen people running the 2 or 3 though, I'm wondering about the Pegz-1. I think that should fit everything, and I'd like the smallest footprint possible. Anyone have experience with the Pegz-1?

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/319913-REG/Petrol_PEGZ_1_PEGZ_1_Eargonizer_Audio_Organizer.html#features

My LMA Recordings

Offline dennisrtyler

• Trade Count: (21)
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2009, 02:27:21 PM »
i use a pegz-1. plenty of room for 702, sonosax, mics, cables, and a buttload of accessories. for outdoor shows i carry my w5d windscreens in a plastic container that hooks to one of the carabiners attached to the bag.
4. im so abrasive i make sandpaper nervous.

Schoeps CMR/mk4 > Naiant PFA > Oade Concert Mod Marantz PMD-661

Offline T.J.

• Always look on the Bright Side of Life
    • My shows taped on LMA
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2009, 02:28:49 PM »
Do he Nova's have a clear flap to see the gear while running?

no but that is why i run the portabrace inside the nova.

Offline NOLAfishwater

• is not taping much these days
  • Trade Count: (72)
  • I LIKE FISHIN
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2009, 02:31:41 PM »
There are about 8 people in the Dirty South that run them. I just bought the Pegs 3. The PEGZ 2 should work just fine for 2 channel work. The front pocket is also padded and deep. You can easily fit your bodies, KC5 cables, and mount with capsules attached. If you are thinking about switching to 4 channel work, you should consider the Pegz 3. Contact Justin at Pro Sound  who is also a TS member http://taperssection.com/index.php?action=profile;u=13726  He sells high end gear for a living and will get you the best price on the Pegz and the Portabrace Quick Slick 4 http://www.portabrace.com/productB-QSA-4  He is running a promotion on Portabrace bags right now, so if you go that route, you won't be sorry. You can also reach him via phone 212-586-1033 or justin @ pro-sound.com

Offline Matt Quinn

• No Ceilings
  • beep boop
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2009, 02:38:27 PM »
i use a pegz-1. plenty of room for 702, sonosax, mics, cables, and a buttload of accessories. for outdoor shows i carry my w5d windscreens in a plastic container that hooks to one of the carabiners attached to the bag.

Sick, I think this is the way I'm gonna end up going. Thanks everyone.

My LMA Recordings

Offline goodcooker

• Trade Count: (43)
  • goes to 11
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2009, 03:31:55 PM »
when i ran the same gear (diff mics but same size) I used a Canon camera bag...don't know what model it is... and it fit that particular setup like a glove at less than half the price of a Kata or Pegz bag. I like having the side compartments for shocks and clamps.

Always just carried a couple of plastic ponchos from the dollar store in case of monsoon.

Doesn't have a clear window and is only waterproof if zipped all the way up I just remember how tight the V3>670 combo fit in there so I thought I would throw you a budget option

edit for attached pic
« Last Edit: April 13, 2009, 03:34:17 PM by goodcooker »
Line Audio CM3/OM1 || MBHO KA500 hyper>PFA|| ADK A51 type IV || AKG C522XY
Oade Warm Mod and Presence+ Mod UA5s || Aerco MP2(needs help) || Neve Portico 5012 || Apogee MMP
SD Mixpre6 || Oade Concert Mod DR100mkii

pocket sized - CA11 cards > SP SB10 > Sony PCM A10

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/goodcooker

"Are you the Zman?" - fan at Panic 10-08-10 Kansas City
"I don't know who left this perfectly good inflatable wook doll here, but if I'm blowing her up, I'm keeping her." -  hoppedup

Offline Matt Quinn

• No Ceilings
  • beep boop
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2009, 03:39:11 PM »
when i ran the same gear (diff mics but same size) I used a Canon camera bag...don't know what model it is... and it fit that particular setup like a glove at less than half the price of a Kata or Pegz bag. I like having the side compartments for shocks and clamps.

Always just carried a couple of plastic ponchos from the dollar store in case of monsoon.

Doesn't have a clear window and is only waterproof if zipped all the way up I just remember how tight the V3>670 combo fit in there so I thought I would throw you a budget option

edit for attached pic

Sounds like what I have now, and am happy with outside the lack of protection from the elements...I think I paid about $40 for this at the mall camera store.

My LMA Recordings

nameloc01

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2009, 04:54:36 PM »
The Lowepro Nova AW bags kick ass. I use an itsy-bitsy 170.

Offline fozzy

• move along, nothing much to see here
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2009, 05:46:30 PM »
Just got my PEGz-1f in the mail today and I still plan to carry a trash compactor bag in case it rains.  lots of little nooks and crannies for water to sit and test the water proofing. 

I am actually kinda surprised how deep the bag is.  Going to rig it all up tonight and if i have time I'll post some pics.  There are some in the rig pics section that do way more justice than the ones from their website. 
MK 4V > KCY 250/5 Ig (KS 10I)  > VST62IUg > 722

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2009, 06:14:38 PM »
I use a cheap 'cooler' bag.  Cost around $12.  It works well for me.  I like the internal plastic tub with padding all around it, large zippered front pocket for cables, mesh side pockets storing umbrella & heavy duty garbage bags for serious deluge protection, and the comfortable shoulder strap.

Because of the tub, I know that water cannot enter from below no matter what, even sitting in a puddle. If it gets really bad, the whole bag goes into the big trash bag.

I was going to sew a clear plastic cover into the top opening, but never bothered.  I just lift the zippered cover which shields rain while I check stuff and have never had the gear get wet.  These older photos show it setup for carrying the TLs, rigged and ready in their shocks, V3, 2 Li-ions and R-09.  I have an R-44 in there now.  I wedge foam bits in to secure and protect everything.  Easily rearrangeable.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline china_rider

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • The center of the universe is not on this earth...
    • AZTapers
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2009, 09:46:44 PM »
Another vote for the Nova AW series.  The rain hood is huge for taping in a wet situation.  I've used it during several downpours and it's been awesome.  I also brought it out once when everyone around me was fall down drunk and it saved me from a beer spilled right on top of my bag.  Plus the location of the pouch and zipper is something that security will *never* find.  It's a pretty good hiding spot for small items you may not want them to see.  ::)
(#1) AKG C480b CK61,CK62,CK63,CK69 -> Silverpath XLRs -> BMod R-4
(#2) BMod ADK A51TL -> Silverpath XLRs -> BMod R-4
(#3) Sonic Studios DSM6SM -> Sonic Studios PA-3SX -> R-09

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.349 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com