Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: How to "wear" preamp + recorder?  (Read 27266 times)

Offline yousef

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re: How to "wear" preamp + recorder?
« Reply #60 on: December 23, 2009, 10:51:26 AM »
The notion that these guys are actively patrolling TS in an effort to discover some carelessly posted super-secret jedi trick is hilarious.

I do think some stealth tapers have the misguided idea that security personel see stopping audience taping as a priority (in my experience they're rarely even aware of the concept of audience taping) and that that their ability to evade detection is based on some special technique they have developed (rather than a combination of common sense and good luck).

However, and I'd be more than happy to be corrected on this point, I got the impression that much of the anti-stealth stuff on TS.com was motivated by open tapers not wanting to be tarred with the same brush as the stealthers and potentially losing the privileges they'd been granted.

FWIW, I've always thought that there is a very limited number of places you can usefully mount microphones when stealthing and similarly there aren't many places you can stash your gear when entering a venue.

Your mics/leads will be visible to audience members in your immediate vicinity and a decent pat down on the door will discover your gear. So success very much depends on good luck and simple common sense measures to avoid undue attention.

Of course, if some people prefer to think that they are secret agent jedi master outlaws, I wouldn't want to spoil their fun either.
music>other stuff>ears
my recordings: http://db.etree.org/yousef
http://www.manchestertaper.co.uk
twitter: @manchestertaper

stevetoney

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #61 on: December 23, 2009, 11:35:46 AM »
I essentially agree with everything nathan_g stated in his last post...and I really do hate to be seen as the bad guy, but just to remind that stealth techniques have a legit purpose and use on TS.com as well as a not-legitimate purpose.

Notwithstanding the points that have been made already about how ts.com is hardly being monitored by security professionals, my point is that when it comes to stealth, my own purposes and discussion aren't necessarily motivated by enabling people to screw over bands, so honestly chalk me up as someone that really doesn't care if the discussion blows someone's cover (which it won't).

If you think that the stealth discussion is messing it up for you, then perhaps it's time to accept the realities of stealth taping...
a) now and then you get caught and you simply lose the game that night,
b) you need to figure out a better way...improve your technique.

Failing these two realities, there's always a third option...
c) play by the rules and leave your recording gear at home.

« Last Edit: December 23, 2009, 11:46:12 AM by tonedeaf »

Offline Scooter123

• "I am not an alcoholic. I am a drunk. Drunks don't go to meetings."
  • Trade Count: (9)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #62 on: December 23, 2009, 11:53:49 AM »
Then there is Van Morrison......

His disgust for taping and the internet is well known and documented.  I have some of his rants on, yes a stealth tape, where he rants about stealth taping and the internet. 

His security people (he hires his own) are well versed in taping and he has a contract with the venue that allows his own people to supplement ordinary security.  In both the last two years' shows I observed between 3-10 specially uniformed security goons who went up and down the isles threatening people with cell phones and actually confinscating and throwing people out for violations of the band/venue policy against taping or filming.

Some guy next to me in 2009 got tossed and I had to stand up with wires and my Edirol dangling away while the guy got into it with the security goon.  All captured on a stealth tape, by the way........
Regards,
Scooter123

mk41 > N Box  > Sony M-10
mk4 > N Box > Sony M-10

stevetoney

« Reply #63 on: December 23, 2009, 12:52:07 PM »

Truly...that level of disdain for fan support is cause for me to NEVER support Van Morrison with my patronage.  I like his music OK enough, but if that's how he treats his fans, then I'll NEVER and I mean NEVER give him a cent.  Taping is one thing, but taking it to cell phones?!?

That's a ridiculous way to treat your fans...he needs get a life and realize that life doesn't revolve around people trying to rip him off...oh my god...for a soundbite for their cell.  Maybe they'd just like to share the fact that they're seeing one of their musical heros with others...same as he'd do if he were in their position.

;D  He's fat and ugly besides.   ;D
« Last Edit: December 23, 2009, 12:55:21 PM by tonedeaf »

Offline travelinbeat

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Turning soundwaves into zeros and ones since 1999
    • http://db.etree.org/travelinbeat
« Reply #64 on: December 23, 2009, 03:56:32 PM »
Now since this is a forum based on mutual respect and an environment of mutual growth and mentoring [...]  I think what matters most is that we maintain a certain level of decorum that will ensure that this forum remains to be an environment of learning and not just some petty bickering battle over pedantic nonsense. [...] Over time you'll come to recognize that it is really difficult to truly offend or bother or anger people unless you are making a conscious effort to do so. [...] People here, no matter how much it may not feel like it some times, are really great, knowledgeable, nice, and helpful tapers who want to help you grow in the hobby.

I do have one question for those who are so worried about the security goon squads keeping tabs on us. How do you keep your gear from falling out of your panties whenever you have to crotch it?   :yahoo: (Just joking...sorry...I couldn't resist!)

nice work nathan, keeping it classy with constructive arguments.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2009, 04:01:48 PM by travelinbeat »
Mics: Busman BSC1's K1/K2/K3/K4, CA-14's
Units: 2x Edirol R-09HR, iRiver H120 (RockBox + 2200mAh + CF mod)
Power & Accessories: Naiant Littlebox 1.5, Church ST-9100, Denecke PS-2, 2x Kingston SDHC (Model: SD2/8GB), 2x Kingston SDHC (Model: SD4/16GB), Kingston 32GB (Model: SD4/32GB), Darktrain XLR, 2x Shure A81WS's, 4x Powerex 9.6v, 12x Sanyo 2700 NiMH, 2x AT8410A's

Team DC · Team Naiant · Team Busman · Team Church Audio · NFL Team is NY Jets

I tape in earnest dedication to the mission of breaking the back of the CTOA

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #65 on: December 23, 2009, 08:08:41 PM »
just a thought/question in all seriousness
i understand people not wanting to talk openly about stealth techs
but what makes you think the security guy/company wanting to learn more about it wouldn't us the pm system to do so
???
if i want to learn and doing it via pm is the only way, guess what i'll do - set up and account and start pm people
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

stevetoney

« Reply #66 on: December 23, 2009, 10:29:14 PM »
just a thought/question in all seriousness
i understand people not wanting to talk openly about stealth techs
but what makes you think the security guy/company wanting to learn more about it wouldn't us the pm system to do so
???
if i want to learn and doing it via pm is the only way, guess what i'll do - set up and account and start pm people

Right.  That would be a security guy using stealth technique to learn how we stealth.  LOL.

The bottom line for me is that TS.com has been going on for what...6 or 7 years now and nobody has once provided evidence that I've heard of to suggest that outsiders come on here for the sole purpose of figuring out how stealthers go about it.  Even if they did, it's STEALTH.  As someone already mentioned, if you do it right, the only way they'll discover you is if they implement metal detection or pat you down.  Either way, nothing being discussed here is gonna make a difference in terms of discovery.

nathan_g

« Reply #67 on: December 23, 2009, 10:39:40 PM »
nice work nathan, keeping it classy with constructive arguments.

:yahoo: (Just joking...sorry...I couldn't resist!)

Miss that part?

Truly...that level of disdain for fan support is cause for me to NEVER support Van Morrison with my patronage.  I like his music OK enough, but if that's how he treats his fans, then I'll NEVER and I mean NEVER give him a cent.  Taping is one thing, but taking it to cell phones?!?

The last time Van Morrison came close to me (Ryman, Nashville), average tickets were going for as much as $400. I love his older work but I wouldn't pay $400 to have him play a set in my living room.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2009, 10:44:02 PM by nathan_g »

Offline sparkey

• Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #68 on: December 24, 2009, 07:50:22 AM »
the only way they'll discover you is if they implement metal detection or pat you down. .

I don't know much about the mechanics of metal detectors, but I know a guy who would routinely use his Schoeps/nbox/m1 rig and got wanded several times without detection.

As far as not falling out of your pants, spandex running shorts.  (Per Ned Flanders: Just like wearin nothin at all!)

Josh
#Generalstrike for president in 2024

Offline fmaderjr

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #69 on: December 24, 2009, 08:08:20 AM »
if you do it right, the only way they'll discover you is if they implement metal detection or pat you down.

And the metal detector would have to be set to very high sensitivity to even have chance to catch many of the mostly plastic recorders and preamps that we use. My MZ-RH1, ST-9100 and mini-mics have not been detected when wanded and if you hide them in the right place a pat down won't work either. There are certain places they are not going to pat you.....

If the metal detector is sensitive enough to go off on account of the little metal that in in my gear it will be going off all the time and cause the venue more trouble than it's worth. I think most likely the dectectors usually set so they will go off if someone comes in with a gun or knife and not if they have way less metal than that on them.
AT853's (all caps)/CM-300 Franken Naks (CP-1,2,3)/JBMod Nak 700's (CP-701,702) > Tascam DR-680
Or Sonic Studios DSM-6 > M10

nathan_g

« Reply #70 on: December 24, 2009, 10:23:28 AM »
I'm no expert on metal detectors but I believe their effectiveness (handhelds) is largely dependent on proximity to the metal object. From the sales brochure for the Garrett Super Scanner:

Ultimate sensitivity: detects medium sized pistol from 9” distance; large knife from 6”; razor blades and box cutters from 3” distance; foil-wrapped drugs and tiny jewelry from 1”

..."foil wrapped drugs"...unless you've got a pretty hefty piece of dope, that's gonna be a pretty small amount of metal. To me, this suggests that the likelihood of detection (same as with pat-downs) is probably based on how thorough the operator is.

If you're interested, you can check out the brochure here:

http://tinyurl.com/yjx85pg

Offline sparkey

• Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #71 on: December 24, 2009, 03:37:58 PM »
Not to mention a bigass belt buckle to run interference

I'm no expert on metal detectors but I believe their effectiveness (handhelds) is largely dependent on proximity to the metal object. From the sales brochure for the Garrett Super Scanner:

Ultimate sensitivity: detects medium sized pistol from 9” distance; large knife from 6”; razor blades and box cutters from 3” distance; foil-wrapped drugs and tiny jewelry from 1”

..."foil wrapped drugs"...unless you've got a pretty hefty piece of dope, that's gonna be a pretty small amount of metal. To me, this suggests that the likelihood of detection (same as with pat-downs) is probably based on how thorough the operator is.

If you're interested, you can check out the brochure here:

http://tinyurl.com/yjx85pg
#Generalstrike for president in 2024

Offline boa

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Member
  • crowesbase loves you
    • crowesbase:an.amorican.archive
« Reply #72 on: December 24, 2009, 04:56:55 PM »
Microtech Gefell m22 >  Babynbox > Sony m10acm
Microtech Gefell mv200/m21 > Aerco mp2 > Roland r44ocm

Offline Seth01

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #73 on: December 25, 2009, 12:53:26 AM »
I've realized that the more grey hair I have, the less security seems concerned about me.   :-\

Sad but so true.  It keeps getting easier and easier each year.   :'(
« Last Edit: December 25, 2009, 03:08:41 PM by Seth01 »
Mics: Busman Audio BSC1-K1/K2/K3/K4, CA-14 cards, CA-11 omnis, CAFS, Naiant X-X omnis, AT853 cards (with 4.7k mod)
Pres: Naiant Bigbox, CA-9100, CA-UGLY, Naiant Tinyhead
Recorders: Sony M-10, Zoom H4n, Edirol R-09 (retired)
Archive
eTree
Dime
YouTube Channel

Offline LEDZEPZOSO

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #74 on: December 25, 2009, 06:09:48 AM »
Not to mention a bigass belt buckle to run interference

I use to think like that but since going to a Beyer and a R-09 I vam go through a walk through without the metal detector red lining. Most venues will not check you until you hit a strong green or red on the sensor.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.104 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com