Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: BEST GEAR BAG???  (Read 20014 times)

Offline lastubbe

• Trade Count: (21)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Copper-dome Bodhi drip a silver kimono
    • Dead-Phish
Re: BEST GEAR BAG???
« Reply #45 on: May 02, 2010, 08:42:25 PM »
I love my small Sonicase.  Super compact, great access, and best of all it's made really well (imo).  It reminds me of the Portabrace I used back in the day.

Enough room for mics, pre, 7##, and a few accessories.  I keep a couple secondary bags with all the extra stuff and just rotate in what I need for the show.  It has worked especially well in those tight settings up front. 

I walked into Shea's for Furthur without it even being noticed at the front doors, when other bags were getting torn through.  For the little bit I carry, I wouldn't use anything else, and could still add a pre and be fine.
DPA 4023>Sonosax SX-M2/EAA PSP-2>Sound Devices 722 (24/96)
http://dead-phish.com
http://twitter.com/lastubbe
@lastubbe

Offline lastubbe

• Taperssection All-Star
    • Dead-Phish
« Reply #46 on: May 02, 2010, 08:46:43 PM »
targus rakgear is still the greatest gear bag i've ever had

The Rakgear is good and its shelving system is very convenient, but it was so big that I got sick of it after a certain point.  The thing is a monster in the section and in the club.  I switched to a Sonicase (at three times the price), cutting my footprint in half, and I am much happier with it overall.

do they still make the sonic case? i loved mine i used to run 10yrs ago!!!  Mark still have them at Sonic Sense...i should call him
a

Marc hooked me up with mine.  $200 for the small one but they only go into production so often.  5 min chat with Marc and it was at my door step in a couple days.  Easy as can be.
@lastubbe

Offline lastubbe

• Taperssection All-Star
    • Dead-Phish
« Reply #47 on: May 02, 2010, 08:55:31 PM »
Damn where are you guys taping that you need to worry about someone jacking your gear?   That does not seem fun.

I have walked to my car alone in a few Downtown areas, looking over my shoulder.
@lastubbe

Offline crossthreaded

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #48 on: May 02, 2010, 11:25:35 PM »
Damn where are you guys taping that you need to worry about someone jacking your gear?   That does not seem fun.

I have walked to my car alone in a few Downtown areas, looking over my shoulder.

the canal club in richmond comes to mind as a place I am glad to have a mic stand with me.  Most of the time my g/f is with me and I'm more concerned about something happening to her than to my gear, I would gladly hand over my pegz 2 if it would make the dude go away.  If you are going to get mugged I think it will happen with a sonicase, pegz, or plastic grocery bag.  Inside the venue I really do not like to leave my shit unattended but if i'm the only guy taping at the show and am there solo sometimes it happens. 
akg 460/ck61>cables>busman T mod R4
stuff > rio > es > cl5 > nexo

Offline Seth01

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #49 on: July 01, 2010, 02:55:48 PM »
Inside the venue I really do not like to leave my shit unattended but if i'm the only guy taping at the show and am there solo sometimes it happens.

I agree that it sucks to have to do that but I can't count the number of times I've had to.  :(   Thankfully, so far I've been lucky.
Mics: Busman Audio BSC1-K1/K2/K3/K4, CA-14 cards, CA-11 omnis, CAFS, Naiant X-X omnis, AT853 cards (with 4.7k mod)
Pres: Naiant Bigbox, CA-9100, CA-UGLY, Naiant Tinyhead
Recorders: Sony M-10, Zoom H4n, Edirol R-09 (retired)
Archive
eTree
Dime
YouTube Channel

Offline junkyardt

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #50 on: July 01, 2010, 03:16:38 PM »
just wanted to put in a good word for the Canon 200DG. got one a few weeks ago and i really like the size, layout and quality of construction of it. might be too small for a lot of people's rigs on this board, but if the size is right for you give it a look. i think it's pretty impressive that it has 176 reviews on Amazon and 166 of those give it either 4 or 5 stars.

http://www.amazon.com/Canon-200DG-Digital-Camera-Gadget/dp/B0002Y5WZC
« Last Edit: July 01, 2010, 03:18:12 PM by junkyardt »

Offline scb

• Eli Manning should die of gonorrhea and rot in hell. Would you like a cookie, son?
  • Trade Count: (11)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #51 on: July 02, 2010, 08:49:30 AM »
i've had my rakgear for what seems like forever now.  so easy

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #52 on: July 02, 2010, 12:33:43 PM »
i've had my rakgear for what seems like forever now.  so easy

And so f'n big! ;)

Offline scb

• Eli Manning should die of gonorrhea and rot in hell. Would you like a cookie, son?
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #53 on: July 02, 2010, 12:41:59 PM »
some of these extra large camera type bags in this thread are much bigger

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #54 on: July 02, 2010, 12:51:47 PM »
A big difference between the two applications- Most of us don't lug our recording rigs for miles and miles..  But that isn't uncommon for camera bags.  I don't think shoulder bags are good for hikes because of the poor weight distribution, and they get in the way when climbing.  A downside with gear backpacks is they tend to preclude wearing another backpack.   Another downside to backpacks for gear is you need to remove it from your back to get into it.

I have a nice lowepro backpack for camera gear.  But if I want to bring food, water, rain pants, a jacket, it isn't really suited for those types of items.

Offline flipp

• resident curmudgeon
  • Trade Count: (17)
Re: BEST GEAR BAG??? Video Bag
« Reply #55 on: July 02, 2010, 02:26:36 PM »
For those of you who shoot video, or have to lug a full open rig for miles to get into a festival might be interested in a prototype backpack PortaBrace has on ebay at the moment. Over 50% off MSRP but still $200. Might still be worth considering as I'm sure it can be easily repurposed to carry an audio rig.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Portabrace-HKP-3L-Camera-Hiking-Backpack-/110552746292

As for my perfect bag, due to the size of the FR2, which has as inconvenient a form factor as some Apogee and Portico units, I gave up on finding a utility bag and finally bought the PortaBrace AR-FR2. With the included Multi-D I couldn't be happier.

Offline dgale

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Member
    • Los Lobos Tour Dates & Setlists
« Reply #56 on: July 02, 2010, 08:00:53 PM »
Certainly being aware as you head to the car after shows (and traveling in numbers as pointed out)  is a wise plan.  In regard to inside shows, I'm amazed more gear doesn't get swiped at shows - I can't tell you how many folks show up, set all their gear up and take off to go boogie for the entire show.  Can't say I ever remember someone actually grabbing gear in a show but seems like it must have happened.  I don't know anyone who's ever been mugged after a show but I do know a few folks who have taken their gear to their car after show or left some gear in the trunk during a show and had their cars broken into.  My stuff never leaves my site.  After a show, it's with me until I leave and then it's straight back to wherever I'm staying.  I've been tempted to go out partying or eating with folks after a show but I am not willing to leave my gear in the car to do it.  At this point in my life, no quicker way to put me in permanent taping retirement than to steal all my gear.
http://loslobos.setlist.com/

Mics: SKM140, CM300/CP-1/CP-2/CP-4
Pre/AD: SD MP-2, AD2K+, MiniMe, SBM-1
Recorders: Tascam DR-680, Motu Traveler, Korg MR-2, DA-P1, D8, D7, DTR-80P, D5, D6

Offline dactylus

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (62)
  • Maplewood, MN
« Reply #57 on: July 05, 2010, 03:18:35 PM »
Certainly being aware as you head to the car after shows (and traveling in numbers as pointed out)  is a wise plan.  In regard to inside shows, I'm amazed more gear doesn't get swiped at shows - I can't tell you how many folks show up, set all their gear up and take off to go boogie for the entire show.  Can't say I ever remember someone actually grabbing gear in a show but seems like it must have happened.  I don't know anyone who's ever been mugged after a show but I do know a few folks who have taken their gear to their car after show or left some gear in the trunk during a show and had their cars broken into.  My stuff never leaves my site.  After a show, it's with me until I leave and then it's straight back to wherever I'm staying.  I've been tempted to go out partying or eating with folks after a show but I am not willing to leave my gear in the car to do it.  At this point in my life, no quicker way to put me in permanent taping retirement than to steal all my gear.

My stuff never leaves my sight.  PERIOD.  If I have friends with me that will watch the gear for a few minutes then I may take a break for a bit.  Otherwise forget it, there are too many thieves out there!!

>:D
hot licks > microphones > recorder

...ball of confusion, that's what the world is today, hey hey...

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I thought I heard.......
« Reply #58 on: July 05, 2010, 06:18:35 PM »
I've used a Petrol in the past (nice bag..., but too big for my needs).  I use a Sonicase now...and find it to be the best bag I've run.  I ran my MMP in it sideways w/o any issue.  Access on the side.
I currently run LSD2 (and it fits in the bag, w/the shockmount on it) > littlebox > r9.  More room than I need even with 20' cable, patch cables, clamp or two, gaffers tape, Whiskey flask, glass apparatus +stash,  stun gun..etc etc.  Pretty much covering a gentleman's  needs for a night on the town.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2010, 06:20:25 PM by Nick's Picks »

Offline splumer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Go ahead, try this at home
« Reply #59 on: July 06, 2010, 02:41:07 PM »

I had someone switch off my switched mics once, but otherwise no trouble.
"Forget Jesus, the stars died so you could be here. "
 - Lawrence Krauss

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.108 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com