Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Police, Caution Tape?? Something?? (Serious Question)  (Read 23004 times)

Offline chinariderstl

• Trade Count: (43)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • https://chris-finn.com/
Police, Caution Tape?? Something?? (Serious Question)
« on: September 15, 2011, 08:45:38 PM »
So here is a serious question from a taping newbie.... Has anyone used tape, like "Caution" tape, to mark boundaries around their tri-pod?

I ask 'cause I've run into problems with people kicking my mic stand legs and seriously encroaching on my "space."  The last couple shows I've been lucky enough to have friends guard the area for me, but am wondering how most people deal with this.  If it were up to me, I would literally tape off a section and just be like, that's how it is.  Obviously, I can't roll like that, so suggestions are welcome.

Mics: Audio-Technica AT853's, Avantone CK-40 (Busman mod), Busman BSC1's, DPA 4022's, DPA 4060's
Pres: Apogee Mini-MP, Core Sound Battery Box
Decks: Sony PCM-M10, Tascam DR-2D, Tascam DR-680 (Busman mod)
Power: Initial RB-270, Naztech PB15000
LMA: http://www.archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%22Chris+Finn%22

Offline capnhook

• All your llamas are belong to us....
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (20)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Police, Caution Tape?? Something?? (Serious Question)
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2011, 08:53:28 PM »
fart spray  :P
Proud member of the reality-based community

BSCS-L->JB-mod [NAK CM-300 (CP-3) and/or (CP-1)]->LSD2->CA CAFS-Omni->Sony ECM-907**Apogee MiniMe Rev. C->CA Ugly II->**Edirol OCM R-44->Tascam DR-22WL->Sony TCD-D8

"Don't ever take an all or nothing attitude when it comes to making a difference
and being beautiful and making the world a beautiful place through your actions.
Every little bit is registered.  Every little bit.  So be as beautiful as you can as often as you can"

"It'll never be over, 'till we learn."

"My dream is to get a bus and get the band and just go coast to coast. Just about everything else except music, is anti-musical.  That's it.  Music's the thing." - Jeb Puryear

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2011, 09:38:54 PM »
We used to do that to the 1st row OTS behind the board at some Phish shows, so NOONE without clearance got thru :P ;D 8) :)
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

stevetoney

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2011, 10:16:44 PM »
Believe me, I'm empathetic to your cause.  I deal with people grabbing my stand and stepping over my stuff literally every time I record.  It's an occupational hazard though and there's not alot you can do about it if you're alone.  If it bothers you too much, your only choice is to move back.  The better solution though is to have friends block for you.   

You could always try the rope off technique, but I can tell you 100% that roping off an area like that isn't gonna fly at any of the venue's I record at and I seriously doubt it will where you are either.  The only way it might work is if the venue is large enough that they don't notice.

Now and then, I get away with putting an unused chair next to my gear to help block it, but that's when the venue I often record at isn't very crowded.  If it's packed, no way.

If the venue is small enough and you can get permission, hang your mics from overhead and run cables to your gear that's located off to the side.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2011, 10:20:50 PM by tonedeaf »

Offline DSatz

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2011, 10:32:19 PM »
I sometimes used to put a little sign on the stand that said, "WARNING: 600 Ohms".
music > microphones > a recorder of some sort

Offline ethan

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Go Buffs!
    • COTapers.org
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2011, 10:33:54 PM »
So here is a serious question from a taping newbie.... Has anyone used tape, like "Caution" tape, to mark boundaries around their tri-pod?

\

I did this for the first time on Jam Cruise last year. Worked great.
COtapers.org - "We're higher than your average taper"

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
  • Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2011, 10:44:03 PM »
not directly related to taping...
Stealing Your Flash

You know it has to be good when it has stealthing in the subject as well as this...

WARNING:
POTENTIALLY FATAL VOLTAGE.
DO NOT TOUCH.

check out the article.
Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • #TeamRetired
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2011, 10:56:45 PM »
I sometimes used to put a little sign on the stand that said, "WARNING: 600 Ohms".

:lol:
that, is awesome.   :clapping:

thats the best laugh I've had all day.

to the OP:
I agree with tonedeaf; it's either move back or get good in tight quarters. I've made an effort to get good at setting up and blocking solo. It's not fun per se, but it's a useful skill. The chair bit is gold, I use that myself. Anything that is provided by the venue (poles, chairs, the soundboard cage) that you might be able to get away with that won't look out of place when you use it is what I look for every time I walk into a new room.

Actually, a smaller stand (footprint wise) is the best thing here, instead of a jumbo 12' stand with a wide footprint, consider a 7' one with a small area to guard. If you're in the prime spot it's a fair trade (height for closeness to the sound source) IMHO. Second, look at having a "tight quarters" setup, like the ability to keep your bag on your shoulders (comfortably), cables off the ground, ready to move the stand at a split second in case someone comes barreling into it, etc. If I'm in an open field in the dark, thats how I setup and get ready if moving back is an atrocious option comparatively. If I can use some natural surroundings to my advantage, I will and start to relax, but otherwise it's treated like "work." When possible, look for creative ways to clamp. Over half my mounting gear is related to clamping with arms and extensions and clamps for various sizes so I don't have to guard the stand legs per se, just the general area where it's clamped. I don't think I've used my 11' stand in almost 70 shows... It's either clamping on someone else's jumbo (so I help guard), using my 7' small stand, or clamping onto natural surroundings.

fart spray  :P

not a bad (legit) idea really... remember, beans are high in fiber...
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

Offline travelinbeat

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Turning soundwaves into zeros and ones since 1999
    • http://db.etree.org/travelinbeat
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2011, 12:15:27 AM »
I've also taped a flashlight pointing down the stand to help illuminate the legs.  This is helpful especially when used in conjunction with a bright, neon gaff-tape pattern wraps around the stand's legs.  This may very well help with random kicks and trips, but in as far as keeping people from grabbing at it? your best bet is just to watch that thing.
Mics: Busman BSC1's K1/K2/K3/K4, CA-14's
Units: 2x Edirol R-09HR, iRiver H120 (RockBox + 2200mAh + CF mod)
Power & Accessories: Naiant Littlebox 1.5, Church ST-9100, Denecke PS-2, 2x Kingston SDHC (Model: SD2/8GB), 2x Kingston SDHC (Model: SD4/16GB), Kingston 32GB (Model: SD4/32GB), Darktrain XLR, 2x Shure A81WS's, 4x Powerex 9.6v, 12x Sanyo 2700 NiMH, 2x AT8410A's

Team DC · Team Naiant · Team Busman · Team Church Audio · NFL Team is NY Jets

I tape in earnest dedication to the mission of breaking the back of the CTOA

Offline Big Perm

• Trade Count: (67)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Rage, Rest, work a lot, Repeat
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2011, 12:34:43 AM »
:lol: :lol:
Mics: Schoeps mk4v| mk41v | mk22 | mk8 & mk5 (m/s)
         Schoeps m222> nt222dc (x2)
         Schoeps cmc 1k (x2)
         Schoeps vst62iu (x2)
         Schoeps KCY 250/5 IG (x2) Schoeps KC 5g (x2)
         DPA 4015c
Pre’s: Sonosax SX-M2D2
         Aeta PSP-3
         E.A.A. PSP-2
Recorder: Sonosax sx-r4+, SD702, Sony m10

Offline John Willett

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Bio:
    • Sound-Link ProAudio
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2011, 07:40:29 AM »

The other one I have seen is: "DANGER - 12,000 millivolts"

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2011, 11:26:05 AM »

:D
Tempted to make some caution sticker with these.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • #TeamRetired
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2011, 02:05:43 PM »

:D
Tempted to make some caution sticker with these.

Warning trumps danger in my book, I'd rather explain why it says warning to a security guard than danger when I'm at a venue.
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

Offline chinariderstl

• Trade Count: (43)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • https://chris-finn.com/
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2011, 02:37:19 PM »
These are all great replies and really appreciate the input.

I think I need some neon gaff tape! :)
Mics: Audio-Technica AT853's, Avantone CK-40 (Busman mod), Busman BSC1's, DPA 4022's, DPA 4060's
Pres: Apogee Mini-MP, Core Sound Battery Box
Decks: Sony PCM-M10, Tascam DR-2D, Tascam DR-680 (Busman mod)
Power: Initial RB-270, Naztech PB15000
LMA: http://www.archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%22Chris+Finn%22

Offline capnhook

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (20)
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2011, 12:03:15 AM »
These are all great replies and really appreciate the input.

I think I need some neon gaff tape! :)

Get it wide and sticky enough to apply to the chatty Cathys hanging around your rig.   :o
Proud member of the reality-based community

BSCS-L->JB-mod [NAK CM-300 (CP-3) and/or (CP-1)]->LSD2->CA CAFS-Omni->Sony ECM-907**Apogee MiniMe Rev. C->CA Ugly II->**Edirol OCM R-44->Tascam DR-22WL->Sony TCD-D8

"Don't ever take an all or nothing attitude when it comes to making a difference
and being beautiful and making the world a beautiful place through your actions.
Every little bit is registered.  Every little bit.  So be as beautiful as you can as often as you can"

"It'll never be over, 'till we learn."

"My dream is to get a bus and get the band and just go coast to coast. Just about everything else except music, is anti-musical.  That's it.  Music's the thing." - Jeb Puryear

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.104 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com