Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Poll

Should stealth discussion be conducted stealthily on ts.com?

I'm apathetic; I really don't care one way or the other.
29 (14.7%)
No, it's OK to discuss stealth taping on ts.com.
72 (36.5%)
Yes, stealth discussion should not be conducted publicly on ts.com.
35 (17.8%)
I'd prefer stealth conversation to be conducted stealthily, but I don't think it matters much
53 (26.9%)
I hate stealth taping/discussion altogether and wish there was a way for ts.com to ban it completely
8 (4.1%)

Total Members Voted: 194

Author Topic: Poll: Should Stealth Discussion Be Stealth?  (Read 39665 times)

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Poll: Should Stealth Discussion Be Stealth?
« Reply #120 on: October 02, 2013, 09:38:27 PM »
you need a mentor!
Someone to go to shows alongside and actually see what's involved in recording music in the field.
Newbies ask 6 million questions here before they even buy gear.
One field trip out to the nearest rock & roll show with an experienced taper will teach
you more than anything you can read here.
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

Offline twatts (pants are so over-rated...)

• <://PHiSH//><
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Lego made a Mini-Fig of me!
« Reply #121 on: October 02, 2013, 10:49:32 PM »
Just a thought... 

I'm on another board that has separate MBs for member that have posted more than 1000 times...  Is it possible to create a board where long time members could privately discuss  >:D w/o general public knowledge???

Terry
***Do you have PHISH, VIDA BLUE, JAZZ MANDOLIN PROJECT or any other Phish related DATs/Tapes/MDs that need to be transferred???  I can do them for you!!!***

I will return your DATs/Tapes/MDs.  I'll also provide Master FLAC files via DropBox.  PM me for details.

Sony PCM R500 > SPDIF > Tascam HD-P2
Nakamichi DR-3 > (Oade Advanced Concert Mod) Tascam HD-P2
Sony MDS-JE510 > Hosa ODL-276 > Tascam HD-P2

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • #TeamRetired
« Reply #122 on: October 02, 2013, 10:59:06 PM »
Just a thought... 

I'm on another board that has separate MBs for member that have posted more than 1000 times...  Is it possible to create a board where long time members could privately discuss  >:D w/o general public knowledge???

Terry

true, Bri's other board is like that.

devils advocate; what are the folks who have been here long enough to get access need to discuss it openly for? I mean, I've traded notes with some other long time users, but short of some really neat tricks, it's nothing that is outside of "necessity is the mother of all invention" sort of thing. It's the folks getting started that seem to want to most help.
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

Offline twatts (pants are so over-rated...)

• <://PHiSH//><
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Lego made a Mini-Fig of me!
« Reply #123 on: October 03, 2013, 12:34:13 AM »
Just a thought... 

Terry

true, Bri's other board is like that.

devils advocate; what are the folks who have been here long enough to get access need to discuss it openly for? I mean, I've traded notes with some other long time users, but short of some really neat tricks, it's nothing that is outside of "necessity is the mother of all invention" sort of thing. It's the folks getting started that seem to want to most help.

True enough...  We could set the bar really low so that someone that is looking that may potentially be harmful to our hobby can't get to it on their initial visit...  If someone is trying to get into taping, they'll ask a slew of questions and after a while could get access to info.  If someone is looking for info in order to bust someone at an upcoming show, they won't even see it...

I have no idea...  I'm a bit drunk...  I have no interest in  :P myself, but I know that it is valuable to my hobby of collecting music...

Terry
***Do you have PHISH, VIDA BLUE, JAZZ MANDOLIN PROJECT or any other Phish related DATs/Tapes/MDs that need to be transferred???  I can do them for you!!!***

I will return your DATs/Tapes/MDs.  I'll also provide Master FLAC files via DropBox.  PM me for details.

Sony PCM R500 > SPDIF > Tascam HD-P2
Nakamichi DR-3 > (Oade Advanced Concert Mod) Tascam HD-P2
Sony MDS-JE510 > Hosa ODL-276 > Tascam HD-P2

Offline hoppedup

• Trade Count: (17)
  • Sa da tay!
« Reply #124 on: October 03, 2013, 09:08:50 AM »
Recent run-in with an artist at a show I stealthed:

"Hey man, you tapin' tonight?"
"Yup."
"Where's your rig?"
"Right here" <shows artist recorder, pre-amp, mics>
"Holy shit. That's fuckin' awesome! Hey Bill (bass player), come check this out.  He put mics in his _____. Hope it turns out!"
AKG SE300B CK91
JB Mod NAK 300 CP1 - CP2

Tascam DR-40, Tascam DR-60D, Tascam DR-22WL, Marantz PMD-706
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G7K

↑↑↓↓←→←→ BA Start

My recordings on bt.etree

My recordings on LMA

cashandkerouac

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #125 on: October 03, 2013, 05:37:54 PM »
Recent run-in with an artist at a show I stealthed:

"Hey man, you tapin' tonight?"
"Yup."
"Where's your rig?"
"Right here" <shows artist recorder, pre-amp, mics>
"Holy shit. That's fuckin' awesome! Hey Bill (bass player), come check this out.  He put mics in his _____. Hope it turns out!"

that sounds like a good "run-in" to me.  in this age of electronic gadgets and gizmos, folks capturing video and audio with their cell phones, etc. i really don't think that stealthing a show for personal use is a bad thing or at all takes away from the profit of the artist.  i'm not going to to argue that by strict definition of the law unauthorized stealth recording is not "theft of service"; but from a practical sense absolutely no one gets hurt.  i end up with a really cool (and hopefully great quality) recording of the show that i attended, and i often purchase the authorized releases from the merch table.  so even my little amateur recording that is only used for personal enjoyment does not detract from sales of the official merchandise.  my hobby actually serves as a catalyst for putting more money into the artists pocket.  and at the end of the day i think it's the record labels much more than the artists/performers who are opposed to stealth recording.  most performers don't care what i have in my _________ as long as i'm not disrupting things.  and based on the example quoted above i think most artists support what we do as long as it is done discretely and with respect.   

Offline acidjack

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (37)
« Reply #126 on: October 03, 2013, 11:57:09 PM »
^^ open taping, especially by a certain disrespectful minority of open tapers, is more disruptive to the artists than stealth.
Mics: Schoeps MK4V, MK41V, MK5, MK22> CMC6, KCY 250/5, KC5, NBob; MBHO MBP603/KA200N, AT 3031, DPA 4061 w/ d:vice, Naiant X-X, AT 853c, shotgun, Nak300
Pres/Power: Aerco MP2, tinybox v2  [KCY], CA-UBB
Decks: Sound Devices MixPre 6, Zoom F8, M10, D50

My recordings on nyctaper.com: http://www.nyctaper.com/?tag=acidjack | LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/acidjack | twitter: http://www.twitter.com/acidjacknyc | Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/acidjacknyc

Offline daspyknows

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Don't ask, don't tell, don't get get caught
« Reply #127 on: October 04, 2013, 06:47:08 AM »
^^ open taping, especially by a certain disrespectful minority of open tapers, is more disruptive to the artists than stealth.

I second that.

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #128 on: October 04, 2013, 07:14:44 AM »
We have to remember that concert security guards cant read never mind use a computer. So have no fear of talking about stealth  :P
for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.078 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com