Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Poll

Should stealth discussion be conducted stealthily on ts.com?

I'm apathetic; I really don't care one way or the other.
29 (14.7%)
No, it's OK to discuss stealth taping on ts.com.
72 (36.5%)
Yes, stealth discussion should not be conducted publicly on ts.com.
35 (17.8%)
I'd prefer stealth conversation to be conducted stealthily, but I don't think it matters much
53 (26.9%)
I hate stealth taping/discussion altogether and wish there was a way for ts.com to ban it completely
8 (4.1%)

Total Members Voted: 194

Author Topic: Poll: Should Stealth Discussion Be Stealth?  (Read 39709 times)

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • #TeamRetired
Re: Poll: Should Stealth Discussion Be Stealth?
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2012, 01:39:30 PM »
Devils advocate to most of the comments being made here.  If you use good stealth technique, even if it's discussed here, nobody at the venue should know you're taping so what's the big deal if it's discussed?  Even if they suspect you're taping, you can't be strip searched, so...

I don't see a reason to make it easier for security by giving clues as to what to look for regardless of whether thats gear related or other things. There are some dumb people on this planet, it's beneficial for some of those people to stay that way...

A few applicable maxims?
Low hanging fruit gets picked first. 
Don't piss upstream from the camp kitchen.
Seek and ye shall find.

Exactly, if someone wants to become a good stealth taper, I can pass along some guiding points that are really good ideas without divulging techniques. If someone can tell you have gear while you're standing in your living room, then assume security could spot you in the venue if they were inclined to look. Second, get a mentor.

The short of it is, if people aren't creative, they really aren't cut out for this... The best stealth tapers are people who are super creative.
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

stevetoney

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2012, 01:49:06 PM »
I'd prefer stealth conversation to be conducted stealthily, but I don't think it matters much
If you want a valid poll you need to quit injecting your opinion in the questions. That is one of my pet peeves about the professional pollsters questions, they skew the results by adding qualifications to their questions which will inevitably sway the results they get towards the answers the sponsors of the polls want.

It was just a fun question based on curiousity...it's not like I'm polling for Obama for the purpose of taking over the universe.   ;)   I don't give a carp one way or the other if people talk about it, although I do get tired of people getting preachy about it.

Offline Fatah Ruark (aka MIKE B)

• Trade Count: (11)
  • I dream in beige.
    • sloppy.art.ink
« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2012, 02:01:33 PM »
I don't think most venues care if you stealth (at least the venues I go to).

Security only cares about something that might cost the venue money or getting them into trouble, which would include: bringing your own booze into the venue, drugs, getting in a fight...

You could argue that they could get into trouble with a band if the contract states "no taping" and the venue security is responsible for looking out for such activity...but even then I think it's a pretty low priority for the venue.

The only thing that really worries me is the "power trip" security dude.

All that being said...it's not rocket science. I don't do anything that someone with an IQ over about 80 couldn't figure out on their own. Be smart, and don't worry about what is said here. We are a low priority.

||| MICS:  Beyer CK930 | DPA 4022 | DPA 4080 | Nevaton MCE400 | Sennheiser Ambeo Headset |||
||| PREAMPS: DPA d:vice | Naiant Tinybox | Naiant IPA |||
||| DECKS: Sound Devices MixPre6 | iPod Touch 32GB |||
|||Concert History || LMA Recordings || Live YouTube |||

Offline edtyre

• Trade Count: (85)
  • Team Philly " No Excuses, Just Tapes"
« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2012, 02:05:20 PM »
I stealth quite a bit, but run open a lot as well. I don't think there should be open discussions on
stealthing here. I don't mind general questions that can be answered by PM. Most smart folks that
are serious about taping will learn what they need to know.

Almost all my mentoring was done by other tapers at shows, from how to deal with security to where
to sit/stand in the venue to what kind of config was needed to get the best recording. This is something
handled better passing down by word of mouth, then on an internet forum discussion.
music>mics>pre>recorder

Offline blg

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2012, 02:41:44 PM »
I don't mind general questions that can be answered by PM. Most smart folks that

Almost all my mentoring was done by other tapers at shows, from how to deal with security to where
to sit/stand in the venue to what kind of config was needed to get the best recording. This is something
handled better passing down by word of mouth, then on an internet forum discussion.

^ This. 
Schoeps MK41 |
Naiant Tinybox v2.5 w/OT
NBob Actives v2
Sony PCM-M10 x2
dime LMA

Offline flipp

• resident curmudgeon
  • Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2012, 03:15:12 PM »

It was just a fun question based on curiousity...it's not like I'm polling for Obama for the purpose of taking over the universe.   ;)   I don't give a carp one way or the other if people talk about it, although I do get tired of people getting preachy about it.

oh bullshit 

You obviously do care and do want to talk about it openly or you would not insert your comments into the discussion. If you didn't care , but were merely curious, you would have posted the poll and just watched the results, not take part in the discussion that ensues. The impartial observer you aren't.

Now that that's out of the way, why do you think it should be discussed here on ts?

Another observation/question: do you not see your poll as a form of proselytizing for allowing discussion here on ts?

Offline hoppedup

• Trade Count: (17)
  • Sa da tay!
« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2012, 03:39:30 PM »
Devils advocate to most of the comments being made here.  If you use good stealth technique, even if it's discussed here, nobody at the venue should know you're taping so what's the big deal if it's discussed?  Even if they suspect you're taping, you can't be strip searched, so...

I don't see a reason to make it easier for security by giving clues as to what to look for regardless of whether thats gear related or other things. There are some dumb people on this planet, it's beneficial for some of those people to stay that way...

And these are the ones who have to ask about stealth. I don't mind it being discussed, but I do question the need for it being discussed at all. If you can tie your shoes and count past ten without taking them off you should be able to figure it out. That said, I have posted in  >:D threads before. Sometimes just to rile up the tinfoil hats that think that every bouncer in the world will be instantly wise to some dude with mics in his _____ if someone mentions  >:D on a geeked-out tapers' forum. Or to get some curmudgeon from CA who listens to obscure Hawaiian music to post gifs of the Hoff.

In other words, I think it's silly to discuss it and I think it's silly to bitch about it being discussed. This logic may implode at any moment.

When I  >:D, this is my method: I hide my equipment where no one can see it. Then I record the show.  There, all my secrets are out.
AKG SE300B CK91
JB Mod NAK 300 CP1 - CP2

Tascam DR-40, Tascam DR-60D, Tascam DR-22WL, Marantz PMD-706
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G7K

↑↑↓↓←→←→ BA Start

My recordings on bt.etree

My recordings on LMA

stevetoney

« Reply #22 on: June 26, 2012, 03:44:03 PM »

oh bullshit 

You obviously do care and do want to talk about it openly or you would not insert your comments into the discussion. If you didn't care , but were merely curious, you would have posted the poll and just watched the results, not take part in the discussion that ensues. The impartial observer you aren't.

Whatever.  Apparently you think I have an agenda.  I don't.  But being curious where the majority stands on this doesn't mean I can't comment on my own poll?!?

Again whatever.  I didn't mean to strike a chord with the poll, but I guess I did with a couple of you.  It wasn't intended.  If you don't believe that, oh well.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2012, 03:58:17 PM by tonedeaf »

stevetoney

« Reply #23 on: June 26, 2012, 04:03:22 PM »
Most of the comments are about how stealth is common sense.  One observation I have is that it seems like most of the questions being asked about stealth are from noobs that just kinda want to validate. 
« Last Edit: June 26, 2012, 04:05:42 PM by tonedeaf »

Offline daspyknows

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Don't ask, don't tell, don't get get caught
« Reply #24 on: June 26, 2012, 04:40:25 PM »

A few applicable maxims?
Low hanging fruit gets picked first. 
Don't piss upstream from the camp kitchen.
Seek and ye shall find.

Exactly, if someone wants to become a good stealth taper, I can pass along some guiding points that are really good ideas without divulging techniques. If someone can tell you have gear while you're standing in your living room, then assume security could spot you in the venue if they were inclined to look. Second, get a mentor.

The short of it is, if people aren't creative, they really aren't cut out for this... The best stealth tapers are people who are super creative.

Both points true.  Its just hard to do both stealth and non stealth as same venues/cities as security may get to know you.

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • #TeamRetired
« Reply #25 on: June 26, 2012, 04:51:28 PM »
Both points true.  Its just hard to do both stealth and non stealth as same venues/cities as security may get to know you.

I almost suggested "learning" elsewhere, sort of don't poo where you sleep sort of thing.

To your original point, I know some folks who do both at certain venues, and I know some venues where I did not do both and kept everything 007 because being associated with the activity marked me (small venues, memorable patrons, etc). It's a situational awareness and risk assessment exercise. I think there are more of the former (where you can run open and then still run covert), but there are definately reasons to avoid it and thats different for each town and each person.
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #26 on: June 26, 2012, 05:05:19 PM »
These posts bear repeating, so here they are again, QFT.

I stealth quite a bit, but run open a lot as well. I don't think there should be open discussions on
stealthing here. I don't mind general questions that can be answered by PM. Most smart folks that

I know some folks who do both at certain venues, and I know some venues where I did not do both and kept everything 007 because being associated with the activity marked me (small venues, memorable patrons, etc). It's a situational awareness and risk assessment exercise. I think there are more of the former (where you can run open and then still run covert), but there are definately reasons to avoid it and thats different for each town and each person.

As for technique, it boils down to doing whatever you want, while following the hoppedup rule:

When I  >:D, this is my method: I hide my equipment where no one can see it. Then I record the show.  There, all my secrets are out.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

mfrench

« Reply #27 on: June 26, 2012, 06:14:15 PM »
This is for those that find talking stealth to be acceptable,.....

Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.
Frank Zappa

Offline trustthex

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Trainwreckin' Fool
« Reply #28 on: June 26, 2012, 07:02:43 PM »
just helping get this to page 3...
Current Foolishness-
AT853c > 3-wire BB > LS10
AT853c > Tinybox > R-09

Other gear in my bag-
SP-CMC-1 (AT 829), ECM-717, Sharp MD-MS702
2x Teac ME-50 (C), AT ATR6250, SP-SPSB-2

Team TEXAS, Naiant, Jazz, Vinyl, moe.

-------
If you have any Brave Combo that needs transferred/uploaded, etc... PM me.

Offline db

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • i do not have a personal statement
« Reply #29 on: June 26, 2012, 07:41:22 PM »
just helping get this to page 3...
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
db

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.066 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com