Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Help with stealth soundboards!  (Read 22518 times)

Offline jhirte

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • At ease atleast yeah.
Re: Help with stealth soundboards!
« Reply #60 on: December 16, 2004, 07:33:07 PM »
... kinda hard to figure out where that fine line is..

It's really not hard to figure out where the line is.  When you tap into someone else's equipment without permission, that is across the line of acceptability.

Sorry, hard to get my point accross while at work with people constantly calling.. (stupid users!).  Was meaning to say if you sell it that'd be beyond the line. Stealthing a board  I wouldn't consider stealing. .just ballsy. potential for clusterfuck too (as has been seen in the past).

Biggest thing to do: get to know your local sound people! Then no need to stealth a board! :)

Offline Lil Kim Jong-Il

• Trade Count: (6)
  • large Marge sent me
« Reply #61 on: December 16, 2004, 08:19:58 PM »
Sorry, hard to get my point accross while at work with people constantly calling.. (stupid users!).  Was meaning to say if you sell it that'd be beyond the line. Stealthing a board  I wouldn't consider stealing. .just ballsy. potential for clusterfuck too (as has been seen in the past).

Biggest thing to do: get to know your local sound people! Then no need to stealth a board! :)

I got your point about stealing.  You are right, maybe there are better analogies than theft but I didn't think of one.

I look at it from the perspective that if that guy sneaked into the section and patched into any one of our rigs, some of us would be plenty pissed and at some point the guy might get his ass kicked if he hosed someones rig.  The soundboard is even a worse case because it's someone's lively hood that he is putting risk.  It also puts our entire scene at risk.  One asshole gets caught doing this and then the club decides that no taping equipment is ever allowed in. 

I was not there to witness the event, so I will not post the details of the story told to me.  However, I know of a venue that banned taping after someone did exactly what this guy is suggesting.  Some fucker stealth patched the board and as a result the house tape didn't get recorded.  So that was it for taping at that venue and they became hostile toward tapers, regardless of the band's policy. 

The first rule of amateur neurosurgery club is .... I forget.

Offline Josephine

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #62 on: December 16, 2004, 09:16:30 PM »
haha! Sounds like one tough cunt!

Wow . . . .  -t
Schoeps MK4 / MK4v / MK41 > actives > NBox+ > R-09HR

~   On Dime   ~
~   My Recordings   ~
~   Live Music Archive   ~

Offline jhirte

• At ease atleast yeah.
« Reply #63 on: December 16, 2004, 10:25:36 PM »

I got your point about stealing.  You are right, maybe there are better analogies than theft but I didn't think of one.

I look at it from the perspective that if that guy sneaked into the section and patched into any one of our rigs, some of us would be plenty pissed and at some point the guy might get his ass kicked if he hosed someones rig.  The soundboard is even a worse case because it's someone's lively hood that he is putting risk.  It also puts our entire scene at risk.  One asshole gets caught doing this and then the club decides that no taping equipment is ever allowed in. 

I was not there to witness the event, so I will not post the details of the story told to me.  However, I know of a venue that banned taping after someone did exactly what this guy is suggesting.  Some fucker stealth patched the board and as a result the house tape didn't get recorded.  So that was it for taping at that venue and they became hostile toward tapers, regardless of the band's policy. 

Yeah, fucking over a board would be bad. You dont want to know how close I almost came to plugging in my P1 w/Phantom power on... WOAH! close!

Offline zhianosatch

• Trade Count: (1)
  • god-damned hippies!
« Reply #64 on: December 17, 2004, 09:45:44 AM »
I think its kind of funny how everyone gets their panties in a bunch when someone talks about stealthing a sbd as if its morally wrong, but stealthing with mics is okay, right?... I obviously see the reasons why stealthing a sbd is a baaaad idea, but IMO its not any different than stealthing with mics... No need for - karma.

there's a big difference in the balls factor required to make a tape. :) someone patching out of a soundboard in a clandestine fashion has nuts of steel. lord knows i consider stealthing the board every time i go to the ventura theater but since i never go prepared to do it, it never happens. and soundboards usually eat ass anyway, but that's another story...
+T to the thread-starter for having the gazingas.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2004, 09:47:19 AM by zhianosatch »

Offline redseed

• Taperssection Newbie
  • Word to all of the business ladies!
« Reply #65 on: December 17, 2004, 03:01:59 PM »
Thanks bro!
And props to you for being one of the few who isn't completely anal on here. This affects nobody else on this board!

Offline Tony B

• Needs more sun.
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • My primitive mind can't grasp these concepts.
« Reply #66 on: December 17, 2004, 03:04:43 PM »
Thanks bro!
And props to you for being one of the few who isn't completely anal on here. This affects nobody else on this board!

Ah, but see, you're wrong there. Every time a person does dumb shit, it makes the Baby Jesus cry. And crying baby Jesuses affect me.

Happy Festivus.
Coffee is for Closers

MG m200>AM Hyperconducters>V3>JayBeeThree/h120

Offline redseed

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #67 on: December 17, 2004, 03:09:04 PM »
And props to you Tony! You make baby Jesus laugh! Laughter makes the world a better place.

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #68 on: December 17, 2004, 03:10:29 PM »
Thanks bro!

It has the potential to fuck all of us right square in the arse.

Question:  what local band wouldn't let you tape off the soundboard?  I've never encountered a local band that won't let me tape, won't let me distribute - they are more flattered by it than anything.  Why don't you just ask the appropriate people?  If they say no, then worry about stealthing w/ mics?

Tickets are dead to me.  Except the ones I have, don't have, and lost.  Not to mention the ones you have, don't have, and lost.   And the ones that other dude has, doesn't have, and lost.  Let me know if you need some tickets, I'm happy to oblige. 

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

Offline redseed

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #69 on: December 17, 2004, 03:18:49 PM »
I most likely will ask this time if the sound guy tonight is the one I know, I was more interested in case it's not a cool soundguy, or for other acts that may not be local.
Man, I've gotten some wicked board tapes, it really depends on the volume of the amps and whether it's a good soundguy who knows how to use reverb and shit properly. Don't be so quick to dismiss board tapes, because they can be WICKED sometimes.
Check out this stealth soundboard I snatched this summer. Untraded, uncirculated and will remain that way. Dig it boys, and if you like it (you will) check out the band. www.widemouthmason.com
mp3 clip:
http://www.redseed.com/WideMouthMason-Sugarcane-LiveAugust2004.mp3
« Last Edit: December 17, 2004, 03:20:21 PM by redseed »

Offline Tim

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #70 on: December 17, 2004, 03:23:49 PM »
Man, I've gotten some wicked board tapes, it really depends on the volume of the amps and whether it's a good soundguy who knows how to use reverb and shit properly.

you're partially right. It has a lot to do with the volume of the amps. As for a soundman not using effects properly, they are mixing for the room, not the tape.
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline redseed

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #71 on: December 17, 2004, 03:28:56 PM »
For sure, but most local soundguys have shitty old school reverb whereas good touring bands will have the real good shit that sounds good on recording or in the room.
Did you dig that MP3? Not flat or dead at all. A perfect mix.

Offline BJ

• been around the world and found that only stupid people are breeding the cretins cloning and feeding
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • They're baaack! ??
« Reply #72 on: December 17, 2004, 03:43:40 PM »
I have heard better sbds...nowhere near a perfect mix....The sound is very harsh/brittle...esp the vocal mix....
just my .02$ on the recording, but i dont like sbd's for the most part....

| Do agree with most...whether you pull a good sbd or not...its just not worth it...you have the potential for SO many problems, as llisted by others.

EDIT:  maybe should have something besides mp3..may help the sound...critical listening on mp3 sux
Auditory
Intake  waves -> 0/1's -> waves
it's magic 

urobouros

« Reply #73 on: December 17, 2004, 03:51:00 PM »
It has the potential to fuck all of us right square in the arse.
[\quote]

Amen!

Quote from: pfife link=topi=32046.msg407453#msg407453 date=1103314229
Question:  what local band wouldn't let you tape off the soundboard?  I've never encountered a local band that won't let me tape, won't let me distribute - they are more flattered by it than anything.  Why don't you just ask the appropriate people?  If they say no, then worry about stealthing w/ mics?
[\quote]

Here is Seattle, we have a thriving Blues scene, yet I have contacted 5 or 6 really cool local bands and they are all freaked out by the idea of their music being distributed.  In a few instances I have tried to explain the benefits of taping and trading but have nothing but more shit.  I suppose I might have more success approaching them at a gig and putting them on the spot.

Offline redseed

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #74 on: December 17, 2004, 03:52:50 PM »
Yeah, normally I really hate mp3s, but I've just used this one to help spread the word on this band to lovers of live music. I dig soundboard because you're actually recording the instruments, not just what the f'n PA speakers are putting out. You can hear the phlegm in a singers throat...you're ON the stage.
'And most of all I HATE audience chatterboxes! That goddamn din of underlying noise of a rude talking crowd. What happened to the days when people would  SHUT UP AND LISTEN?!

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.162 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com