Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: In-Ear-Monitor Taping  (Read 28086 times)

Offline Evil Taper

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Going pro...no time for taping now
Re: In-Ear-Monitor Taping
« Reply #60 on: May 20, 2005, 11:06:12 PM »
Still, you're making a tape as much as a patcher is.  There's no need to go on and on trying to justify what you want to do to a community of folks who are ambient tapers.  Do your thing and be done with it....by now you've gotten all the help you're going to get here since I don't think there's any active IEM tapers around here...not any who openly hype it at least.  You'd probably have a better time listening to cell phone conversations with your decoder anyway.  So party on dood!
Really not very evil at all now...

Offline scb

• Eli Manning should die of gonorrhea and rot in hell. Would you like a cookie, son?
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #61 on: May 20, 2005, 11:20:55 PM »
>>An good audience is better than a good IEM, for sure, but why not taking the best of two worlds and get a dual mix?<<

i think 1 world sucks

>>Again, I agree with you, but again... why don't get an excellent audience source, and mix it with the IEM source so you can get an even better recording?<<

because i don't think it's better

Offline Evil Taper

« Reply #62 on: May 20, 2005, 11:33:24 PM »
I guess it's that time of the month

Offline dev0n

• Taperssection Newbie
  • Sleep is for Christians
« Reply #63 on: May 21, 2005, 12:11:40 AM »
There's no need to go on and on trying to justify what you want to do to a community of folks who are ambient tapers.

No justifications or attempts at justifications.  Haven't even mentioned any moral or ethical side of this, nor do I intend to.  Technical issues only.  And you're right, this as probably gone as far as its going to go in this forum.

Offline redbook

• Taperssection Member
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #64 on: May 21, 2005, 07:20:18 AM »
>>An good audience is better than a good IEM, for sure, but why not taking the best of two worlds and get a dual mix?<<
i think 1 world sucks

Do you really think this sucks??
http://www.scubajeremy.net/Buffett/JBuffett2004-08-26D2T11.mp3

I think what some people don't feel ok from IEM tapers is that they are usually a bunch of hoarder, elitist, stupid and arrogant tapers.
You Scott probably know what I'm talking about if you are into U2 scene.

But I, like BigRay and dev0n, am just trying to learn more about this technology.
Don't want to offend anyone

Offline scb

• Eli Manning should die of gonorrhea and rot in hell. Would you like a cookie, son?
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #65 on: May 21, 2005, 11:09:14 AM »
>>Do you really think this sucks??
<<

i think a good stealth rig in a good location could make something that sounds as good as that

>>I think what some people don't feel ok from IEM tapers is that they are usually a bunch of hoarder, elitist, stupid and arrogant tapers. You Scott probably know what I'm talking about if you are into U2 scene. <<

IEM taping makes us look bad.  that's what i comes down to

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #66 on: May 21, 2005, 01:20:17 PM »
Do you really think this sucks??

Well, yes.  But it all depends on one's perspective and preference, of course.  In that clip I hear:

• vocals so high in the mix they often drown out the instruments
  • percussion panned far right, creating a lopsided image that I rapidly find fatiguing
  • percussion outright missing or very low in the mix - pretty sure the almost entirely right channel "tss-tss-tss" isn't the only percussion going on throughout the song, but I hear very little other percussion in the mix
  • the same flat, lifeless sound I hear in SBD recordings - no sense of space, image, soundstage, energy
Give me an AUD recording over the above any day of the week, thanks.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline kfrinkle

• Karl Frinkle Dot Net
« Reply #67 on: May 21, 2005, 01:41:39 PM »
What he just said... yeah.. I agree 100%.
-Karl
MBHO KA200n's > Naiant Tinybox (v2.1) > Sony PCM-M10
http://tooldriveproject.net

Offline gewwang

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #68 on: May 21, 2005, 01:46:54 PM »
Give me an AUD recording over the above any day of the week, thanks.

Try listening to it over some $5 PC speakers. I bet you'll like it more. :P

Offline Evil Taper

« Reply #69 on: May 22, 2005, 03:27:56 AM »
Also not impressed....

I guess this also brings up the question about how "live" a sounboard/fm recording really is also.  Sure, they're nice for clarity of all the instruments but they really don't have a live feeling to them.  Will you opt for Frampton Comes Alive or one of the AUD sources from that same gig?  There's a definate differance in the listening experience and is a personal preferrance.  A taper who runs a stealth board recording of non taping bands seems to end up selling the recording to a bootleg company also (for instance, there is not a single SBD Marilyn Manson show ever recorded that isn't pressed and sold by a bootleg company somewhere in the world, that's pretty shitty IMO).

Offline jcrab66

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #70 on: May 22, 2005, 07:52:50 AM »
I dont have a stance one way or another on the subject however I have heard a couple of Tool IEM's that other than lacking a bit in the lowe end have a very nice mix. Much better than any of the ALD's I've heard...

The ALD's are there for people with an actual disability and we shouldn't be exploiting them so we can make tapes.

Out of curiosity, when you go to the post office do you always walk up the steps or do you sometimes walk up the ramp that was put there for those  who unfortunately have to use a wheel chair to get around? Just askin.....
mk4's / mk41's > nbox > Microtracker / HDP2

Offline gewwang

« Reply #71 on: May 22, 2005, 08:41:40 AM »
Out of curiosity, when you go to the post office do you always walk up the steps or do you sometimes walk up the ramp that was put there for thoseĀ  who unfortunately have to use a wheel chair to get around? Just askin.....

Outside of wear and tear on a concrete ramp which is probably negligible, there's no limit to how many people can walk up and down the ramp. The ALD boxes are limited. If you take the last one before the hearing impaired person gets there to request it, then you're impacting the people that really need them.

Offline jcrab66

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #72 on: May 22, 2005, 09:53:24 AM »

Outside of wear and tear on a concrete ramp which is probably negligible, there's no limit to how many people can walk up and down the ramp. The ALD boxes are limited. If you take the last one before the hearing impaired person gets there to request it, then you're impacting the people that really need them.

if you read his comment you will see that his issue has nothing to do with the number of available devices at a given venue but more with the moral issue of using something that is meant for a handicapped person therefore your comment is moot. Since you brought it up, I have gone to a number of shows with a partially deaf friend of mine and for the record there has always been a large number of available devices that never get used. Alot of hearing impaired people, including my friend, purchase their own ALD receivers. The big arenas usually have way more than neccessary to meet demand. Once again I ask, do you ever walk up the handicapped ramp? Wear and tear have nothing to do with it, the question is are you using a service designed to be used by the handicapped?
mk4's / mk41's > nbox > Microtracker / HDP2

Offline Genghis Cougar Mellen Khan

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Tin Can > Wax String > Dictaphone
« Reply #73 on: May 22, 2005, 10:20:31 AM »
Out of curiosity, when you go to the post office do you always walk up the steps or do you sometimes walk up the ramp that was put there for thoseĀ  who unfortunately have to use a wheel chair to get around? Just askin.....

That's why people buy their own...
« Last Edit: May 22, 2005, 11:02:49 AM by Genghis Cougar Mellen Khan »
Maybe a couple of small scratches, but thats because these mics are chick magnets.
Girls always up on Andy tryin to grab these mics, the scratches are from their wedding rings.

CMC641 / DPA4022 / DPA4062>mod MPS6030
V3 / PMD671 / field ready DV-RA1000 / Oade W-mod PMD661 / PCM-M10

Offline gewwang

« Reply #74 on: May 22, 2005, 10:38:12 AM »
As long as it doesn't impact the people who need them, then I don't see any issue with it.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.084 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com