Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: $1,500+ to Burn... Need EXPERIENCED Recommendations... (COMPLETE!!!)  (Read 26855 times)

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • I thought I heard.......
Re: $1,500+ to Burn... Need EXPERIENCED Recommendations...
« Reply #75 on: September 07, 2005, 09:41:55 AM »
who, me?
I like AT mics.  I think they are the underdog condenser.  what little i've heard from the 405x's sound great.
I think they are very neutral, and sound nice w/a colored preamp behind them

Ray76

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: $1,500+ to Burn... Need EXPERIENCED Recommendations...
« Reply #76 on: September 07, 2005, 05:49:31 PM »
who, me?
I like AT mics.  I think they are the underdog condenser.  what little i've heard from the 405x's sound great.
I think they are very neutral, and sound nice w/a colored preamp behind them

4050s do sound great. ill fluff em all day long.

Offline BayTaynt3d

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Live from San Francisco
    • BayTaper.com
Re: $1,500+ to Burn... Need EXPERIENCED Recommendations... (UPDATED)
« Reply #77 on: September 22, 2005, 03:53:06 PM »
Alright, quick update from Tainted's forey into taping gear...

I still haven't actually bought anything yet, but I'm getting close to knowing what I want now. I think my wife is going to kill me because of the amount of time I have been surfing TS and other sites lately. ;)

Anyway, it's starting to look more and more like some variation on this:

AT853 or C4 > UA5 or AD20 > JB3

A few thoughts on my logic here. For starters, I'm a newb, so I should probably stick to the tried and true field-proven gear. Second, I'm on a budget, albeit a decent size budget, but not an unlimited on (i.e., no V3 for me). Lastly, considering the price tag of the MT (probably $600+ after media, taxes, shipping, etc.), the initial feedback on the MT (some bugs to work out, nothing too bad yet, but some issues nonetheless), and the fact that I've come to terms with recording in 16-bit (after all I'm a newb, and 16-bit is the CD standard and is the most I'd probably use when syncing to video).

Given those thoughts (and all of yours above of course, thanks!), it seemed like the JB3 was a better route to go than the MT for now. Then, considering price, ability to run on batteries, and their ability to connect easily to the JB3 optically without conversion (I think), the UA5 or AD20 seemed like the best options as far as all-in-one pre/ad's are concerned. BUT, I'm really struggling with the choice of mics because I want to be able to BOTH stealth and do HQ open taping -- and on the open taping front, a lot will be classical small quartet style of music, so not sure how the At's might hold up to that vs. the C4's. I might just buy both the C4's and the AT853's but not sure if I can afford that yet. So, if I had to go with one, it seems like the AT853's might be the most flexible. Not sure.

So, here's a few more questions for the pro's to help me work out:

(1) Are the UA5 and AD20 stealthable? I know that is subjective, but I mean practially speaking?

(2) If not, will I be able to get a halfway decent recording if I go straight analog line-in to the JB3 when stealthing (no pre/ad)? I assume the JB3 can take line-in on the analog mini jack right? (as opposed to mic in).

(3) Do you guys have any thoughts on the AD20 vs. UA5 front?

(4) If I only go with the AT853's, will they still produce good results even if I'm in an open taping environment where I could have had much better (and bigger) mics setup? Can I still use some sort of mount/stand with these tiny mics so as to arrange them in an XY pattern when open taping?

(5) I'm struggling with if I decide to go the AT853 route, do I go phantom only (RX) or get the battery-option ones? Also, they come with ridiculously long cables (for hanging I guess). Also, not sure, but does Core Sounds sell AT853-based mics like the CMC4 or something like that? Should I just buy the mics from them?

As always thanks a lot for helping out through this. I'm getting close now for sure...

-- Taynt3d
BayTaper.com | One Man’s Multimedia Journey Through the San Francisco Jazz & Creative Music Scene

Offline Brian

• Trade Count: (2)
Re: $1,500+ to Burn... Need EXPERIENCED Recommendations... (GETTING CLOSER)
« Reply #78 on: September 22, 2005, 04:06:10 PM »
(1) Are the UA5 and AD20 stealthable? I know that is subjective, but I mean practially speaking?

(2) If not, will I be able to get a halfway decent recording if I go straight analog line-in to the JB3 when stealthing (no pre/ad)? I assume the JB3 can take line-in on the analog mini jack right? (as opposed to mic in).

(4) If I only go with the AT853's, will they still produce good results even if I'm in an open taping environment where I could have had much better (and bigger) mics setup? Can I still use some sort of mount/stand with these tiny mics so as to arrange them in an XY pattern when open taping?

(5) I'm struggling with if I decide to go the AT853 route, do I go phantom only (RX) or get the battery-option ones? Also, they come with ridiculously long cables (for hanging I guess). Also, not sure, but does Core Sounds sell AT853-based mics like the CMC4 or something like that? Should I just buy the mics from them?

no need for help from the pros.....a search will answer all of these questions.  there have been lots of threads here on all that gear you have mentioned.

not trying to be an ass....rather, just offering you a quicker way of finding the answers you seek :)

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I thought I heard.......
« Reply #79 on: September 22, 2005, 04:58:14 PM »
ahh Brian..
but that takes all the fun out of talking about it over ...and over...and over...(think energize bunny)

:)

personaly, as much as I like the 853, i'd get something else.
whats the mic budget at now?
:)
a pair of peluso cards is $550.
even a pair of good oktavas, i'd put those up against the 853.
c4 is a good bet for the money.  i'd take that over the ATs as well.
dont get me wrong, I love the at853.  My first modular mic, and ive got plenty of FAT recordings I did w/them and various other gear.  lots of 853>inbox>MD if you want to hear any of it.  card and omni caps are what I ran.

Offline terrapinj

• Jonesin' for Tunes
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #80 on: September 22, 2005, 05:19:56 PM »
pretty sure the ad-20 does NOT provide phantom power, so you would need something else (PS-2) to power mics that require phantom power. the ad-20/ps-2 combo is more stealthable than the ua-5
JW mod AKG 460b (ck61/ck63 or mk46/ck1x/ck3x)>  EAA PSP-2 > 722

Segue Dogstar XLRs and Interconnects

ISO: (2) ck2x

Offline grider

• Trade Count: (6)
  • always give more than you take
« Reply #81 on: September 22, 2005, 05:34:26 PM »
for about that exact price of $1500.00, there is no doubt in my mind that you should assemble the following rig:

ADK a51TL mics with multiple patters built in $700.00 used
Edirol UA5 digi mod $300.00 used
Creaitve Nomad JB3 $200 used
stand, cords, bars, bag, batteries $300

Total for this excellent widely-used rig:  $1500.00, just do it

Offline Kindguy

• Team Bama
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #82 on: September 22, 2005, 06:18:25 PM »
I'd buy an ounce of blow. 3 korean hookers, 2 handles of Jonny walker black.  ;)
TDS!

DPA 4023> aeta PSP-2> Apogee Mini Me > R-44

http://www.basicallyfrightened.com/

Offline bhadella

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Toiling away the day...
    • http://db.etree.org/bhadella1
« Reply #83 on: September 22, 2005, 06:35:44 PM »
for about that exact price of $1500.00, there is no doubt in my mind that you should assemble the following rig:

This is the exact rig  I started with.  Once your able to save a bit more cash upgrade to UA5 via Doug.  My T + moded UA5 is f***ing fantastic.  Love it!  I've got a bunch of tapes (50 or so) under "Brian Hadella" on the archive that you can try to get a taste of the rig.
"Your ideas are intriguing to me and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter. "

Offline KingReptile

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Injection is Nice I'd Rather Be Blown----
    • http://www.angelfire.com/music5/d8maniac/KingReptile_home
« Reply #84 on: September 22, 2005, 06:46:34 PM »
I'd buy an ounce of blow. 3 korean hookers, 2 handles of Jonny walker black.  ;)

Now were talkin   :o

Offline BC

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Bongo Bongo
« Reply #85 on: September 22, 2005, 07:10:31 PM »
BUT, I'm really struggling with the choice of mics because I want to be able to BOTH stealth and do HQ open taping -- and on the open taping front, a lot will be classical small quartet style of music,

given this, I think you might want to give strong consideration to a pair of DPA 4060's.

In: DPA4022>V3>Microtracker/D8

Out: Morrison ELAD>Adcom GFA555mkII>Martin Logan Aerius i

Offline Thom Joad

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Team TNT!
« Reply #86 on: September 22, 2005, 09:18:53 PM »
snip

As always thanks a lot for helping out through this. I'm getting close now for sure...

-- Taynt3d

1- The AD20 is smaller and has no lights.  The UA5 is larger and has lights.  It all really depends on what type of stealthing you plan on doing.  If you're going to a hardcore show, with 6 big dudes checking everyone that goes in, and the roadie out in the crowd looking for people recording, the AD20 would be a better choice.  If you're going to classical shows, that have little, old ladies checking tickets, and no one in the entire place would know what a V3 was, I'd go with a UA5 and keep it closed up in the bag when the lights go down.

2. Don't own a JB3, never played with one, so I can't answer your question specifically, but I think you have your terms mixed up (or so that's how I read it). You use "Line In" when you are using a preamp to boost a mic signal to a line level signal.  You use "mic in" when you are connecting the mics. straight to the recorder (no pre.)  If you want to use mic-in, you have to make sure your recorder can supply phantom power, if you need it (most mics do), and make sure your mic signal was hot enough to get good levels.  Most mics. can only get a hot enough signal to go "mic. in" if they are really close to a really loud source.  That is why most of us use pres.

3.  UA5- way more flexible, bettered by Oade mods (or DIY).  AD20- workhorse, no lights.

4. I've heard great "open" tapes made with the AT minis.  I've seen them on stands arranged ORTF (XY would be easy too).

5. Many say phantom powering provides the capsule with enough juice to fully utilize it's dynamic range and sensitivity vs. batt. box which usually provides just enough power for the mic. to work.  I've never heard a AB comp, so I won't comment.  I'd go with the phantom ones, since you are already planning on getting a UA5 or AD20/PS2 each of which provide phantom.  I won't touch the Core-Sound vs. SoundPro deal.  Do a search here on Core Sound and read some folk's experiences for yourself. 

BC is right about you getting DPA 4060's.  Not only to be able to run them open and stealth, but if you record anything classical, with natural string sounds, you will run these someday.  Right now, they would put you over your budget, but those mics. are unbelievable.   
« Last Edit: September 22, 2005, 09:20:29 PM by Thom Joad »

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #87 on: September 22, 2005, 09:45:09 PM »

agreed, ADK>DMODua5 is PHAT sound IMO
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline BayTaynt3d

• Taperssection All-Star
    • BayTaper.com
« Reply #88 on: September 22, 2005, 11:04:14 PM »
no need for help from the pros.....a search will answer all of these questions.  there have been lots of threads here on all that gear you have mentioned. not trying to be an ass....rather, just offering you a quicker way of finding the answers you seek :)

Yeah, I know, and like I said, I’ve spent weeks now surfing TS. It has been an enormous resource for me. I mean, a couple of weeks ago, I barely knew the lingo and what it meant (line/mic-in, ad, pres, xlr/mini, balanced/unbal, noise floors, xy/ab/etc, phantom, bboxs, etc.). Anyway, thanks for the recommendation, and you should have some comfort in the fact that I can’t even count the number of old threads I’ve been through. BUT, I’m still looking for a little conversation about my specific case, and thankfully, a whole bunch of people seem willing to help. Kudos to all of you for that.

ahh Brian.. but that takes all the fun out of talking about it over ...and over...and over...(think energize bunny). a pair of peluso cards is $550.
even a pair of good oktavas, i'd put those up against the 853.
c4 is a good bet for the money.  i'd take that over the ATs as well.
dont get me wrong, I love the at853.  My first modular mic, and ive got plenty of FAT recordings I did w/them and various other gear.  lots of 853>inbox>MD if you want to hear any of it.  card and omni caps are what I ran.

Exactly. And thanks for those mic tips, I’ll take a look at those options.

pretty sure the ad-20 does NOT provide phantom power, so you would need something else (PS-2) to power mics that require phantom power. the ad-20/ps-2 combo is more stealthable than the ua-5

Thanks. Somehow I missed the lack of phantom on the AD20. And good to know on the stealthability front.

BUT, I'm really struggling with the choice of mics because I want to be able to BOTH stealth and do HQ open taping -- and on the open taping front, a lot will be classical small quartet style of music,

given this, I think you might want to give strong consideration to a pair of DPA 4060's.

Guys, these are great ideas on mics too. Let me look into these, but my initial reaction is even if I come in under-budget, I might not want to splurge quite that far on mics right out of the gate – even though I’ll probably regret not doing so. I mean I can buy both the ATs and the C4s for those prices? The other thing to keep in mind is that I’m already majorly into video for thousands and thousands of dollars, and any money saved (under the 1.5K), will surely go to other good purposes in other gear or accessories -- trust me on that one. ;)

LMFAO!

1- The AD20 is smaller and has no lights.  The UA5 is larger and has lights.  It all really depends on what type of stealthing you plan on doing.  If you're going to a hardcore show, with 6 big dudes checking everyone that goes in, and the roadie out in the crowd looking for people recording, the AD20 would be a better choice.  If you're going to classical shows, that have little, old ladies checking tickets, and no one in the entire place would know what a V3 was, I'd go with a UA5 and keep it closed up in the bag when the lights go down.

2. Don't own a JB3, never played with one, so I can't answer your question specifically, but I think you have your terms mixed up (or so that's how I read it). You use "Line In" when you are using a preamp to boost a mic signal to a line level signal.  You use "mic in" when you are connecting the mics. straight to the recorder (no pre.)  If you want to use mic-in, you have to make sure your recorder can supply phantom power, if you need it (most mics do), and make sure your mic signal was hot enough to get good levels.  Most mics. can only get a hot enough signal to go "mic. in" if they are really close to a really loud source.  That is why most of us use pres.

3.  UA5- way more flexible, bettered by Oade mods (or DIY).  AD20- workhorse, no lights.

4. I've heard great "open" tapes made with the AT minis.  I've seen them on stands arranged ORTF (XY would be easy too).

5. Many say phantom powering provides the capsule with enough juice to fully utilize it's dynamic range and sensitivity vs. batt. box which usually provides just enough power for the mic. to work.  I've never heard a AB comp, so I won't comment.  I'd go with the phantom ones, since you are already planning on getting a UA5 or AD20/PS2 each of which provide phantom.  I won't touch the Core-Sound vs. SoundPro deal.  Do a search here on Core Sound and read some folk's experiences for yourself. 

BC is right about you getting DPA 4060's.  Not only to be able to run them open and stealth, but if you record anything classical, with natural string sounds, you will run these someday.  Right now, they would put you over your budget, but those mics. are unbelievable.   

Great response. Thanks for hitting on all of my points. Points well taken. On the #2 comment, I was under the impression if I was running bbox or phantom on most mics in a high SPL environment, I could possibly still go line-in without a pre, but maybe I was mistaken. I figure you’d try line-in, and if not enough gain, then go mic-in, but maybe that is pie-in-the-sky talk. On #5, I goofed, I meant SoundPro! Aren't the SP-CMC-2 or 4 or whatevers, just AT853 mics? Or are they something else? I was wondering if I choose the At route, should I go with the SP deal if they are ATs?

Anyway, thanks EVERYONE for well thought out responses. More food for thought. I want to wrap up my research in the next few weeks and then start looking for the gear I need. THANKS! And if I could +T, I certainly would, but I’ve only got 18 tix right now. :). Also, if anyone has DV video questions, feel free to hit me up, cause I got that shit dialed like you guys got audio dialed…

Finally, one last thing, since you guys are so willing to help me out, I figure I should share something about myself. I grew up in Ithaca, lived in Boulder for 5 years (yeah, that'd be 5 in college, LOL), and now been in SF for 12 years (I love it here). I've got a pretty extensive multimedia blog with a fair amount of video, which is where I'm planning on posting some of my audio after I get my rig (depends on what the audio is of course, otherwise I'll just seed a Torrent). I just updated my blog to have commenting capability, so leave me some comments if you wish.

BTW, my wife also works at the SF Conservatory of Music, which gives me access to a lot of recitals and incredibly talented students into classical and opera. Finally, it looks like they are going to let me volunteer with them over the new school year (this is a 4-year college), working their soundboard during recitals (after being trained on their gear), and helping create audition tapes (think "demos") for the students -- all using their pro gear (not my own). Anyway, I'm pretty excited about that.

-- Taynt3d
« Last Edit: April 23, 2006, 06:59:39 PM by Tainted »
BayTaper.com | One Man’s Multimedia Journey Through the San Francisco Jazz & Creative Music Scene

Offline BayTaynt3d

• Taperssection All-Star
    • BayTaper.com
« Reply #89 on: October 12, 2005, 01:00:41 PM »

Quick Update, and a couple of more questions (and YES I've read HUNDREDS of posts on these topics here at TS already, but I'm asking anyway)...

I've bought a NIB 20 gig JB3 and a NIB Busman2+ mod UA5 from JDM in a miraculous transaction that skirted the Yardsale (JDM had an opportunity to get in on a sweet 722 deal, which was partly funded by selling me the JB3 and UA5 that was just modded by Busman). So, my rig is well on it's way at this point. On the mic front, I'm looking at picking up both a set of Studio Projects C4s and SP-CMC-8s (AT943s probably with the phantom and mini adapter options). And I'm probably going to pick up an SVUx at some point if I can find a deal on one. So my rigs are going to look like this:

Open taping: C4 > Busmod+ UA5 > JB3

Stealth taping: AT943 (9v) > BBOX > JB3 (or possibly AT943 (phantom) > Busmod+ UA5 > JB3 depending on venue and security)

You guys have been an enormous help in putting this together, I can't thank you enough. HOWVER, I still have some other questions, which are getting into the more nitty-gritty stuff. I've already got the requisite TOSLINK connector for the UA5 > JB3 connection, but I need some recommendations for these items:

(1) battery power for my UA5
(2) extra battery for JB3?
(3) mic stand
(4) flexible mic connector (WTF do you call that thing that attaches to stand?) that can position mics in XY, ORTF, etc. orientations
(5) shock mounts?

On the battery front (#1 and #2 above), I'm perfectly happy with 3 hours or so, so no need for crazy battery setups, and I don't really want to run the UA5 and the JB3 off the same external battery -- I just want something to power the UA5, and then I'll use the JB3 internal battery to power it. So, it seems like the Walmart battery combined with ratshack adapter cables are the way to go for UA5 power. Or are their better options? Also, I'm still confused about the extra battery for JB3 (I don't actually have it in my hands yet, should be here today or tomorrow), I'm under the impression you can actually put two batteries in the unit at once? Do I have that right? If so, great, where is the best place to nab another battery, eBay knowckoffs or the yardsale I assume?

On the mic stand and positioning bar (#3 & #4), I have no clue, but I'd like something that can stand pretty tall (nothing crazy though), is not a total tank in weight terms but still sturdy, and something that'll give me the flexibility to position my C4's in a variety of orientations for stereo pickup. So, any suggestions there are very welcome. I'm looking for the tried-and-true setup since I'm a newbie (thus the UA5/JB3 setup in the same vein).

On #5, I've heard the C4 shock mounts kind of suck. Is that true? If so, I might buy some new ones, but it'd be great if I could also squeeze my 943s in there too. I vaguely recall a bunch of posts about a very flexible shock mounts that were resonably priced that worked well with the C4s, but people were also able to mount the mini 943/853 mics into as well? Can't remember the brand though?

Also, are there any other things I need to think about here? Am I missing anything crucial (besides the obvious XLR cables and whatnot), like adapters or ?????

-- Thanks again, Taint

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.082 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com