Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Bags for 722...  (Read 20044 times)

Offline Kevin

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • Company Website (Learn to play by ear or by I.)
Bags for 722...
« on: October 11, 2007, 09:59:02 AM »
I just wanted to know what everyone uses to carry the 722.  I wont have much to bring; mics in a small pelican (1060), XLR cables, battery, super clamp, maybe small misc stuff.

Thanks guys

Kevin Morton
481(3)>722

Offline T.J.

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Always look on the Bright Side of Life
    • My shows taped on LMA
Re: Bags for 722...
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2007, 10:14:45 AM »
i have basically the same gear as you and use a nova 4. i had a nova 5 when i ran the V3 and 671, but it was just a little too big. everything fits nice and snug. if you want i can snap some pics tomorrow

Offline Kevin

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2007, 10:18:31 AM »
Ye I would love to see some pics ;)
481(3)>722

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2007, 10:28:13 AM »
Fluff uses a garbage bag but only when on the water with borrowed 722's! ;)

I use a $9.97 walmart backpack that has a lifetime guarantee and has great zip access. It is also tall enough to hold a minime or bg1. I also use a Cairn but it can be too small and the zip to the main compartment doesn't open super wide so getting my rack in and out is more of a chore.

Offline Crumbo

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Taperssection Member
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2007, 10:30:37 AM »
Ye I would love to see some pics ;)

here's some pics of my 722 in a nova 4

there's a v3 in there to but you should get the idea :)

http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,79463.0.html
Mics: AKG ck63
Cables: nBob actives
Preamp: nbox platinum II
Recorders:  Sony PCM-M10, Edirol R-05

Offline Kevin

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2007, 10:41:56 AM »
Thanks ;)
481(3)>722

Offline rokpunk

• WOULD HIT IT
  • Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2007, 11:33:45 AM »
portabrace.
The new and improved taperssection.com....now with freedom of speech without the repercussion of -T's!

again, your showing your cluelessness.

Jah sitteth in Mount Zion
And rules all creation........

Offline Kevin

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2007, 11:51:31 AM »
which models?
481(3)>722

Offline boojum

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2007, 01:34:51 PM »
I took the low road and bought an Irwin tool bag.  It is large, has two compartments, two outside velcroed pouches, three outside small pouches, three inside small pouches (battery holders) comes with two suitcase style handles and a large over-the-shoulder strap.  I get the 722, two sets of mic cables, four batteries, a set of mics, the Shure A27 mic holder with the Shure A58(?) mic clips, a set of SONY MDR-V6 headphones, and miscellaneous small stuff into it with ease.  It is normally $30, and it was on sale for $20.  I do not think it is too waterproof, but then I do not take these mics out into the rain.  I do not tape in the rain.  I do not stand in the rain.  It is not very taper-hip, but it solved the problem for me and very cheaply.

As usual, YMMV.   8)
Nov schmoz kapop.

Offline zman

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2007, 07:57:57 PM »
Glad to see you have a 722! I have seen Freelunch's Walmart bag. It works great and is economical!
I Can't Die Now, Cuz I've Got Another Show To Do!

Offline Kevin

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2007, 08:09:17 PM »
Thanks for the suggestions, I went with the CS-3 bag that sound devices makes.  A little less than the portabrace, ill get it sometime this week and post some pictures.
481(3)>722

Offline zman

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2007, 10:02:42 AM »
I have one of those. It is nice except the plastic window that covers the face of the 722, came apart from the fabric within 2 months. I had to resew it. No big deal!
I Can't Die Now, Cuz I've Got Another Show To Do!

Offline Kevin

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2007, 11:18:10 AM »
how much recording time to you get with the various batteries? prob. will record at 24/96 or 24/88.2  I have a 7200 and a smaller one, not sure what size, its a little sony one
481(3)>722

Offline T.J.

• My shows taped on LMA
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2007, 12:06:02 PM »
how much recording time to you get with the various batteries? prob. will record at 24/96 or 24/88.2  I have a 7200 and a smaller one, not sure what size, its a little sony one

i go 483>>722 @24/48 w/ phantom on, backlight off and lights dimmed and get about 4+ safely. i BELIEVE i have a 7200 sized authentic sony bought from batterybank.com YMMV

Offline Kevin

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2007, 12:11:29 PM »
thanks ;)
481(3)>722

Offline db

• Taperssection All-Star
  • i do not have a personal statement
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2007, 03:01:03 PM »
portabrace.

ding.  it's made for it, adds extra almost unnecessary protection for device and wires... extra bag holds accesories. done.
db

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2007, 09:44:28 AM »
portabrace.

ding.  it's made for it, adds extra almost unnecessary protection for device and wires... extra bag holds accesories. done.

agreed! I have the AR-7(7xx bag)+RM Deluxe and its more than enough room for my MBHO Active setup. I just took the 722 out of the AR-7 for the first time since I got the 722 just last friday night and cleaned it VERY well(I already had the AR-7 when my 722 arrived so it went right into that bag. it was the first thing I did when I got my 722, after I broke the stock battery that came with it that is :P ) and it wasnt even that dusty/dirty at all after sitting in there for 1.5 years. I wouldnt even think of owning a 7xx without that bag. And when I want to run 48x>722, I simply un-vlecro the AR-7 from the RM Deluxe and throw it in my 480 bag setup and im DONE!

Why invest around 2k and not spend the extra $150 or so for a bag that has already been proven in the field as the best? I did and also convinced tonedeaf to do the same. lets just say that I *think* he is glad he did ;)
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline waltmon

• Trade Count: (14)
« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2007, 03:26:40 PM »
I dig the Pelican bag, although I need to carry a small pack for accessories ( ie: those friggin U89 shock mounts)

Walt
KM140's, KM150's, U89's, Mixpre-10T II, 788T, F3

CA-14 > UBB > Tascam DR-2D

1 pound non-sequential $50.00 bills

Offline Tim

« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2007, 05:57:52 PM »
I dig the Pelican bag, although I need to carry a small pack for accessories ( ie: those friggin U89 shock mounts)

Walt

walt, the u89s are internally shockmounted. You can order the ring mounts from neumann and greatly cut down on the bulk! This was what Damon did, I didn't figure that out on my own :P
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline F.O.Bean

• Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2007, 09:43:41 PM »
Why / why not?
Because my $15 fishing tackle bag has held up wonderfully for 3 years now. And, I see another 3 years out of it before it dies.

whatever works for EACH person bud ;) The PB bag works fore me and I'll never own a 7xx without it!

stevetoney

« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2007, 11:13:48 PM »
Why / why not?
Because my $15 fishing tackle bag has held up wonderfully for 3 years now. And, I see another 3 years out of it before it dies.

whatever works for EACH person bud ;) The PB bag works fore me and I'll never own a 7xx without it!

I agree with everyone that if they like what they have, then that's cool. 

But Bean's right on...the PB is really spot on perfect for the 702/722/744.  Besides having a nice design and of course the cool see-thru windows so you're protected at the same time as you're recording...which is valuable in itself because of the possibility of having drinks spilled into your bag during a club gig...but to me the best feature of all (and the one that Bean used to convince me to buy one) is that the PB bag fastens the unit in so that the bag carries the load on the two side bars, which is where the 7XX is designed to be carried from.  In other words, velcro straps wraps around the carrying bars to support the load.  For any other bag that I know of, the unit is resting in the bottom of the bag which means that the weight of the unit is resting on the battery.  To me, what that means is that if the bag gets kicked while it's sitting on the floor, or if the bag falls off a chair onto the floor, anything that would cause a major bumpage, then the most likely place the shock is going is straight to the battery...and therefore straight to the battery pins.  Not sure if anyone's ever broken the battery pins off, but if that happens then the unit is 100% useless for field use until it gets fixed.  This alone is worth having the PB bag, IMHO.  Yeah, the PB bag can't totally protect this from happening, but by supporting the unit from the carrying lugs instead of the the backside, I think the PB greatly reduces the chance that this could happen.

Just my opinion and THE number one reason I sprung for the PB bag.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2007, 11:18:37 PM by tonedeaf »

Offline boojum

« Reply #21 on: November 13, 2007, 12:14:39 AM »
Why / why not?

Ditto for my $20 Irwin tool bag.  My is still pretty new: heavy dark blue canvas, heavy clips for the shoulder straps, LARGE zipper handles, two on each track, and tough as hell.  It is built to carry tools around between and on jobsites.  It's gotta be tough.  And it does not scream "Steal Me" like the "pro" bags do.  But, as usual, YMMV.  8)

Cheers
Nov schmoz kapop.

Offline F.O.Bean

• Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #22 on: November 13, 2007, 12:20:41 AM »
Why / why not?

Ditto for my $20 Irwin tool bag.  My is still pretty new: heavy dark blue canvas, heavy clips for the shoulder straps, LARGE zipper handles, two on each track, and tough as hell.  It is built to carry tools around between and on jobsites.  It's gotta be tough.  And it does not scream "Steal Me" like the "pro" bags do.  But, as usual, YMMV.  8)

Cheers

People still steal tools too tho ;)

« Reply #23 on: November 13, 2007, 10:21:05 AM »
but to me the best feature of all (and the one that Bean used to convince me to buy one) is that the PB bag fastens the unit in so that the bag carries the load on the two side bars, which is where the 7XX is designed to be carried from.  In other words, velcro straps wraps around the carrying bars to support the load.

Cost me a couple bucks to suspend my 722 with a target rack. The 722 hangs and the v3 is zip tied down.  Any clear plastic will work as a splash guard.  In a pinch you could even use plastic wrap.

Not sure if anyone's ever broken the battery pins off, but if that happens then the unit is 100% useless for field use until it gets fixed.

Then Bean is doing the impossible because I believe he runs his 7xx on NiMH batteries via the side connector.  It would only take a couple minutes to splice the standard cable for use with an alternate source.

Offline boojum

« Reply #24 on: November 13, 2007, 11:56:19 AM »
Why / why not?

For any other bag that I know of, the unit is resting in the bottom of the bag which means that the weight of the unit is resting on the battery.  To me, what that means is that if the bag gets kicked while it's sitting on the floor, or if the bag falls off a chair onto the floor, anything that would cause a major bumpage, then the most likely place the shock is going is straight to the battery...and therefore straight to the battery pins.  Not sure if anyone's ever broken the battery pins off, but if that happens then the unit is 100% useless for field use until it gets fixed.  This alone is worth having the PB bag, IMHO.  Yeah, the PB bag can't totally protect this from happening, but by supporting the unit from the carrying lugs instead of the the backside, I think the PB greatly reduces the chance that this could happen.

Just my opinion and THE number one reason I sprung for the PB bag.

The battery surface is flush against the back of the unit and held firmly in place by the locking pin.  The pins themselves are pretty heavy-duty.  I think Tatooles and the other folks at SD thought that one out pretty thoroughly.  I see the battery ripping before those pins bend or break.  To me this is pretty much a non-issue.  And, I always take the unit out.  I find it easier to work with when not stuffed in a bag.  If I were taping a bar band in crowded quarters I would leave it on the bag and put the bag on the ground against the bar, out of everyone's way and sit my barstool in front of it.

At the end-up this is a matter of personal preference.  It is like arguing Ford-Chevy-Dodge in trucks.

Cheers
Nov schmoz kapop.

Offline ianstone

• schoeps>something>something else
    • My Recordings on ARCHIVE
« Reply #25 on: November 13, 2007, 08:36:06 PM »
I'd be willing to bet that the $150 that I saved on a gear bag has brought me at least, at a bare minimum, probably $1500 in investment returns.
The foam support that I cut out holds my 722 without stressing anyting more than the top and bottom aluminum plates.

so,... give me a year of two more, and my $150 saved might buy me another recorder?
I'll surely enjoy it more later in retirement savings.

150>>>>>1500?

Damn moke - would you like to help me manage some money? I've got about 10k i'd like to turn into 100k
 ;D
Microphones:
CCM4v (pair)
mk6 (pair) and mk41 (pair) with kc5's & cmc6's
mk21 (1) for those M/S situations

Preamps:
Sonosax SX-M2

Recorders:
Sound Devices 722
Edirol R-01

My Recordings on archive http://www.archive.org/search.php?query=%22ian%20stone%22

Offline ianstone

• schoeps>something>something else
    • My Recordings on ARCHIVE
« Reply #26 on: November 13, 2007, 08:37:49 PM »
back on topic, i really dig the mountainsmith line of bags

i got the cairnII on the campmor deal - like $30, has a great 'stash' spot
fits 722+v2+mics+cables nicely, w/ extra room for my earplugs, etc etc etc

it also has a rain fly on the bottom will pulls out and covers the bag during a storm and keeps everything water proof

Microphones:
CCM4v (pair)
mk6 (pair) and mk41 (pair) with kc5's & cmc6's
mk21 (1) for those M/S situations

Preamps:
Sonosax SX-M2

Recorders:
Sound Devices 722
Edirol R-01

My Recordings on archive http://www.archive.org/search.php?query=%22ian%20stone%22

Offline Tim

« Reply #27 on: November 13, 2007, 08:53:28 PM »
I love the Cairn's too... great rugged bag. Lots of room and the stash pocket is great, as is the pocket on the rear side - keep it pressed against your chest during the bag search and you can fit a good sized bottle in there ;D
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

stevetoney

« Reply #28 on: November 13, 2007, 10:12:32 PM »
does the $150 bag suspend the deck when its on the ground, or, just when carrying it?

I'm thinking,.. just while carrying it; Unless they've provided some sort of interior fold out a-frame, or, an exterior a-frame to keep the deck suspended.

I know that when mine is set down, its as equally well supported as when its being carried.

The PB bag keeps the 722 suspended all the time, not just when it's being carried by the straps.  So, even when the bag is sitting on the ground, the weight of the unit is not resting on the battery, but it's resting on the 7xx frame by virtue of the a) two back straps that are sewn into the bag about half way deep...the unit rests on these back straps, and b) velcro straps that fasten around the sundial-shaped posts on the front of the 7xx.  The velcro straps are integrated with the bag so that the bag holds the posts tight and basically keeps the 7xx firmly positioned inside the bag.  Finally, the bag is built with sort of semi-hard shell sides so that there is some structural support of the whole bag to maintain it's shape, form and structure under the weight of the unit.  The firm sides keep the bag from breaking down under the weight of the unit, while those back straps are carrying the load.  The firm sides also resist exterior shocks.

However, the real bottom line of bag storage for your 7xx investment is that there are obivoulsy multiple solutions to the issue.  They all work fine for each individuals level of comfort for storing their 7XX. 

Therefore, what I am able to offer to the original poster of this thread is that if they were to decide to buy the Portabrace bag this is specially designed for this unit, I don't believe that they would not be disappointed with the product...even at $150 or so.  Whether storage justifies the cost or not when there are many lower cost options is based on subjective factors that have been discussed in this thread, but to me the Portabrace bag is worth the cost to provide the protection I want for my $1700 piece of gear.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2007, 10:16:19 PM by tonedeaf »

Offline CQBert

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Sunset in Zilker Park
« Reply #29 on: November 17, 2007, 02:38:10 AM »
Don't knock those giant u89 shock mounts....  I sent Waltmon the ring mount when he picked up the package... 

No he can go Lo Profile with the u89's...

I have a 702 and currently have it in a Portabrace -would not trade it for the world... my bag is packed and ready to go and everything is easy to see and convenient.  I have run a 722 in a camera bag and from a large Pelican 1520 and both worked as I had LD Mics at the time.  If you are running LD's then look for a real sturdy bag as you have way to much for the Portabrace AR-7.... If SD's consider it seriously, it is not cheap but extremely well built.

CQBert
Sennheiser MKH 8040 (Matched) > Sound Devices 702

Offline digifish_music

• Taperssection All-Star
    • digifish music
« Reply #30 on: November 17, 2007, 03:31:10 AM »
I just wanted to know what everyone uses to carry the 722.  I wont have much to bring; mics in a small pelican (1060), XLR cables, battery, super clamp, maybe small misc stuff.

Thanks guys

Kevin Morton

I'd suggest you go into any photography/camera shop with your gear and look around they usually have heaps of bags and at about 20% the price of a Porta Brace for the same or better design/quality.

digifish
- What's this knob do?

Offline F.O.Bean

• Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #31 on: November 17, 2007, 03:50:33 AM »

Thanks guys

Kevin Morton

I'd suggest you go into any photography/camera shop with your gear and look around they usually have heaps of bags and at about 20% the price of a Porta Brace for the same or better design/quality.

digifish

better design quality? how can it be designed better than a bag thats made SPECIFICALLY for the 7xx series? I personally wouldn't run a 7xx without mine.

Obviously and fortunately, Kevin has MANY options for storing and transporting all of his gear. Kevin, let us know what you end up going with!

Offline digifish_music

• Taperssection All-Star
    • digifish music
« Reply #32 on: November 17, 2007, 06:35:07 AM »

Thanks guys

Kevin Morton

digifish

better design quality? how can it be designed better than a bag thats made SPECIFICALLY for the 7xx series? I personally wouldn't run a 7xx without mine.

Because we often need to carry much more than just the recorder?   ;)

digifish
- What's this knob do?

Offline Kevin

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #33 on: November 17, 2007, 08:54:35 AM »
Currently I am using the CS-3 sound devices bag + a mountainsmith day pack.  The CS-3 is similar to the PB bags in that it houses the 722 perfectly and has velcro strap I use to connect the two bags.  I think that I will probably end up switching  to the AR-7 +RM-multi deluxe just don't feel like spending any money right now as this is not a priority since I have something funtional.  I was looking on PB's site and they release a few new 7xx series bags but they look like they would be a little too big for my gear.  And the story of the bag -> it doesn't matter how big the bag you will end up packing stuff in there to fill it up ;)
481(3)>722

Offline db

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #34 on: November 17, 2007, 10:27:14 AM »

get the god-damned portabrace.

i live in a high-crime area and am not able to leave the house with just the bag and a micstand -- recently the police have been issuing warnings to people with ipod headphones to never wear them outside...bummer!  -- so when i go out and take public transportation i have to stash the whole she-bang in a knapsack anyway... but using the 442 with 744 and pb bags (little film) or just at a show continually reaffirms my happiness with the set-up.

regarding hard sides: they come out.

also 20% off of the cost does not justify a poor/inexact fit.

db

Offline Kevin

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #35 on: November 17, 2007, 10:52:51 AM »

;D
I know I have danced around it but I have a few bills to kill before buying another bag unless someone wants my bags: CS-3, lowepro compact AW, and possibly Kata R-103 which I have not been able to unload.  Until they are sold or I have paid off my house bills than I am going to wait...
481(3)>722

Offline db

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #36 on: November 17, 2007, 11:17:12 AM »

;D
I know I have danced around it but I have a few bills to kill before buying another bag unless someone wants my bags: CS-3, lowepro compact AW, and possibly Kata R-103 which I have not been able to unload.  Until they are sold or I have paid off my house bills than I am going to wait...

ah housing... understandable.
db

Offline F.O.Bean

• Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #37 on: November 17, 2007, 03:32:28 PM »

Thanks guys

Kevin Morton

digifish

Because we often need to carry much more than just the recorder?   ;)

digifish

ahhh, they make other bags to connect to the AR-7 bud ;) I have an AR-7(7xx bag)+RM-Deluxe, and it holds my MBHO Actives setup wonderfully.......Might be a tight fit for Kevin depending on what kind of shocks and t-bar he uses....But, you can always get JUST the AR-7 and stuff it into a Mountainsmith Cairn or Cairn II if he has alot of stuff to carry.

Offline Kevin

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #38 on: November 18, 2007, 08:37:26 AM »
Mikey PM'ed me about the RM-Multi deluxe and the way he described it, it seems like it will fit all of my gear in that + the AR-7.  That seems to be the route I will take ;)
481(3)>722

Offline db

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #39 on: November 18, 2007, 09:36:34 AM »
Mikey PM'ed me about the RM-Multi deluxe and the way he described it, it seems like it will fit all of my gear in that + the AR-7.  That seems to be the route I will take ;)

that looks like the side-bag that comes with the case for the 442. it will attach to the 7xx bag as well, but not a *perfect* fit, as it's a little wider than the side bag that comes with the ar7.  the pouch is pretty big though so you'll most like likely get all your stuff in it.
db

Offline Kevin

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #40 on: November 18, 2007, 06:17:29 PM »

that looks like the side-bag that comes with the case for the 442. it will attach to the 7xx bag as well, but not a *perfect* fit, as it's a little wider than the side bag that comes with the ar7.  the pouch is pretty big though so you'll most like likely get all your stuff in it.

Good to know, maybe ill rethink it or just add the multi deluxe to the CS-3 bag...
481(3)>722

Offline Kevin

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #41 on: November 21, 2007, 01:53:52 PM »
Ok so I went ahead and purchased the PB AR-7, the next purchase will be the RM-Multi/D
« Last Edit: November 22, 2007, 09:46:05 AM by Kevin »
481(3)>722

Offline T.J.

• My shows taped on LMA
« Reply #42 on: November 21, 2007, 02:02:07 PM »
Ok so I went ahead and purchased the PT AR-7, the next purchase will be the RM-Multi/D

right on. i'd like to see how how the pelican fits in this bag with everything else you have

Offline Kevin

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #43 on: November 21, 2007, 02:11:11 PM »
Ill let you know next week, assuming I buy the RM-multi/D this week which is a good possibility
481(3)>722

Offline F.O.Bean

• Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #44 on: November 21, 2007, 03:39:27 PM »
you arent going to fit a pelican 1060 inside of the rm-multi and have enough space to fit everything else, TRUST ME ;) Get those plastic toothbrush holders that walmart sells for traveling and line them with felt. the round ones fit the 480's PERFECTLY. Both myselrf and Steve Toney aka tonedeaf have done this and its an excellent and LOPRO way to transport your mics. Thats the ONLY way youre going to fit everything ;) I cant remember the last time I actually used my pelican 1060......

stevetoney

« Reply #45 on: November 21, 2007, 04:48:45 PM »
Get those plastic toothbrush holders that walmart sells for traveling and line them with felt. the round ones fit the 480's PERFECTLY. Both myselrf and Steve Toney aka tonedeaf have done this and its an excellent and LOPRO way to transport your mics.

Yup, works nicely. 

And also these toothbrush things are the right size to slide right into the front pocket of the RM-Multi.  That way, two of them take up the least amount of space possible in the bag. 

As far as felt lining goes, I bought some felt, but turned out what I bought was too thick so when I put it in the plastic toothbrush holder, it ended up being too tight a fit to fit the mics too.  Rather than buying a thinner grade of felt sheets, which I might do someday, I just stuffed some foam down each end of the toothbrush holder so that the mic kinda sinks a little bit into the foam when the toothbrush holder is closed.  That keeps the mics from rattling around inside the plastic holder.

BTW, I had to go to a couple of Wal-Marts.  They all have the toothbrush holders, but the first one I went to only had a square type that were I think $1.29 apiece.  These work, but aren't quite as good a fit as the round cylindrical shaped ones that I found at the second Wal-Mart and the round ones are only 50 cents each.

PS:  Find the section of Wal-Mart that sells the sample size or weekend vacation size stuff...like the mini-deoderant cans, mini-toothpaste tubes, etc...usually not to far from the razor blades, deoderants, prescriptions, etc.  After looking around WalMart for 1/2 hour, that's where I finally found them.  The toothbrush holders were in another one of the rack bins, same as the mini-deoderant, mini-soaps, mini-shampoos, etc.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2007, 04:54:55 PM by tonedeaf »

Offline Kevin

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #46 on: November 21, 2007, 05:21:39 PM »
Have any of you checked out PB's new bags for the 7xx?  Just not sure if they are too big. 
« Last Edit: November 22, 2007, 09:46:25 AM by Kevin »
481(3)>722

Offline dennisrtyler

• Trade Count: (21)
« Reply #47 on: November 21, 2007, 06:14:24 PM »
Have any of you checked out PT's new bags for the 7xx?  Just not sure if they are too big. 
PT ???
4. im so abrasive i make sandpaper nervous.

Schoeps CMR/mk4 > Naiant PFA > Oade Concert Mod Marantz PMD-661

Offline T.J.

• My shows taped on LMA
« Reply #48 on: November 21, 2007, 06:24:54 PM »
i think i'm gonna try this.

as far as the felt lining is concerned: i'm sure crown royal bags would work great. you could cut enough felt from a big bag to line two toothbrush holders. i have a ton b/c i bartend  8)

pm me if anyone wants some.

Offline Kevin

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #49 on: November 21, 2007, 07:48:38 PM »
Have any of you checked out PT's new bags for the 7xx?  Just not sure if they are too big. 
PT ???

Sorry, meant PB (portabrace)
http://www.portabrace.com/productA-AO-1X
481(3)>722

Offline Kevin

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #50 on: November 21, 2007, 07:49:46 PM »
you arent going to fit a pelican 1060 inside of the rm-multi and have enough space to fit everything else, TRUST ME ;) Get those plastic toothbrush holders that walmart sells for traveling and line them with felt. the round ones fit the 480's PERFECTLY. Both myselrf and Steve Toney aka tonedeaf have done this and its an excellent and LOPRO way to transport your mics. Thats the ONLY way youre going to fit everything ;) I cant remember the last time I actually used my pelican 1060......

Do you have a link to the toothbrush holder your talking about?

Bean whats the deal with your tickets consistantly going down? +T as always
481(3)>722

Offline dennisrtyler

« Reply #51 on: November 21, 2007, 07:57:51 PM »
PT ???

Sorry, meant PB (portabrace)
http://www.portabrace.com/productA-AO-1X
very nice bag but 3 bills, damn!

Offline F.O.Bean

• Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #52 on: November 21, 2007, 09:05:02 PM »
i think i'm gonna try this.

as far as the felt lining is concerned: i'm sure crown royal bags would work great. you could cut enough felt from a big bag to line two toothbrush holders. i have a ton b/c i bartend  8)

pm me if anyone wants some.

I would think the CR bags would be too flexible to hold theyre shape and keep from bunching up in the bottom of the toothbrush holder tho. I have the felt that has the sticky glue backing behind it and I just put it in there WITHOUT taking the backing off so the sticky side DOESNT touch the holder. If you leave the backing on so no sticky stuff touches the holder, its pretty firm and holds its shape after excessively taking out and putting the mics back in :) Just a little tip since I have already experimented and made these for myself ;) The felt is super easy to find. just go to a Michaels or something similar. Hell, Wal-Mart might even have the felt with the backing.

If you cant find the felt with the sticky backing, just get regular felt without any backing and tape it up with packaging tape so it holds its shape and stays round after you take out/put in the mics a bunch of times. I have also done it this way as well. Both ways work just fine for me and save a TON of space compared to the Pelican 1060 :)

I dont plan on never using my 1060 again, but I surely dont use it but once a year come festival time or something similar. Im actually keeping the 1060 I have for when I get some AKG 414's ;)

stevetoney

« Reply #53 on: November 21, 2007, 09:57:50 PM »

Do you have a link to the toothbrush holder your talking about?

http://www.wisementrading.com/toiletries/camping.htm

They look just like the holders that are a couple items down in this link.

Bean whats the deal with your tickets consistantly going down? +T as always

There's TS.com trolls that don't like that Bean uses lots of emoticons in his messages.  Bean wouldn't be Bean without the smileys.  He's one of the most positive and helpful people on this list...ALWAYS takes time to help people out...always puts a positive spin on things.  He should never get any bad karma let alone have his account drain so quickly.

Offline carlbeck

« Reply #54 on: November 22, 2007, 07:57:56 AM »
I actually ordered the PortaBrace PBAR4STC, it is designed to fit a Nagra recorder. I am hoping instead to fit my Portico & MR-1000. I looked at the new audio organizer but it wasn't big enough for my Portico.

Sure the bag retails for $300 but if you order yours through Adorama like I did it will cost about $240. The only problem I have is that mine is not in stock & we have to wait until after the holiday to find out when I will have it  :(
I know you like, tape for people's approval and stuff, and wave your tapes around like they're your dick...  but even you can't actually think section tapes from philips sound good.  

Mics: Telefunken Elam 260, 61, 62, MBHO KA200, KA500 > Niant PFA's, AKG C34L-MS
Preamps: Grace Lunatec V2, Shure FP24
Decks: Tascam DR-2d, Zoom F8

Old rig: Recording: AKG C34 & AKG CK1X or CK2X > MK46 > 460 > Aeta Mix2000 > Sound Devices 702

Playback: Thorens TD125, Denon DVD-2900> Bel Canto DAC-1 > Audible Illusions 3B > Rogue Atlas >ZU Wax Shotgun> Hyperion 938
ALL TUBES BABY!!!

Offline Kevin

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #55 on: November 22, 2007, 08:33:12 AM »
Thanks for the link ;)

True Bean loves the emoticons.  Pretty wierd/Sad that pisses people off...

Just purachased the RM-Multi/D I will post pictures of the new setup next week when I get everything in.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2007, 09:27:05 AM by Kevin »
481(3)>722

Offline rokpunk

• WOULD HIT IT
« Reply #56 on: November 22, 2007, 09:30:44 AM »
if you spend $2500 on a recorder, you owe it to yourself (and your recorder) to buy a bag that fits it, and fits it well.
i wouldn't keep my fishing gear in a porta-brace, and vice-versa. ymmv.
The new and improved taperssection.com....now with freedom of speech without the repercussion of -T's!

Offline Kevin

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #57 on: November 22, 2007, 09:43:37 AM »
if you spend $2500 on a recorder, you owe it to yourself (and your recorder) to buy a bag that fits it, and fits it well.
i wouldn't keep my fishing gear in a porta-brace, and vice-versa. ymmv.

Well said ;)
481(3)>722

Offline Kevin

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #58 on: November 22, 2007, 10:41:20 AM »
For me, organization is key and this seems like the best fit.
481(3)>722

« Reply #59 on: November 22, 2007, 10:49:49 AM »
There isn't always room to run your rig from a bag.  With this drink rail there is no way I could reach the floor to adjust levels, etc.

stevetoney

« Reply #60 on: November 22, 2007, 04:09:25 PM »
considering that some of my fishing reels cost as much as a 722, i'll disagree.

Ha.  I have to chuckle.  This statement is so freaking true about men and our grown up toys! 

I mean, I don't fish, and at first I thought I agreed with the original statement.  After taking just 30 seconds to think about it though, it's easy to conclude that ain't NO WAY your average fisherman spends less on gear in their hobby than we do on ours. 

Offline F.O.Bean

• Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #61 on: November 22, 2007, 08:42:13 PM »
Thanks Steve. I could careless about the tickets, but I have lost like 700 of them in the last few months ??? Oh well, I have REAL problems to worry about in my life :) And that aint one of them.

And what it comes down to folks is what works for YOU!!! Noone else is going to be running OUR gear. Whatever bag makes you feel comfortable is what you should use. For my MBHO Actives setup, that just happens to be an AR-7+RM-Deluxe :)

Offline rokpunk

• WOULD HIT IT
« Reply #62 on: November 22, 2007, 09:20:16 PM »
clearly there are two ways to house a 722....my way and the wrong way.

:P

stevetoney

« Reply #63 on: November 22, 2007, 09:22:42 PM »
So, in a blink of an eye, you can quickly get to the mid $1k's for a rod and reel, as a starting point for quality gear.

Yeah, but if I were into it...knowing how I am...that's only the tip of the iceberg.  You got your bass boat, motor, trailer, all the fixin's that go with the boat.  You got your other gear on top of the rod and real.  You got licenses.  You got airfares to Alaska.  It doesn't end!

Offline thegreatgumbino

• Team Texas
  • Trade Count: (8)
  • Retired Taper
« Reply #64 on: November 22, 2007, 10:11:52 PM »
There isn't always room to run your rig from a bag.  With this drink rail there is no way I could reach the floor to adjust levels, etc.

That's a sweet setup.  How are your V3 & 722 suspended like that?
It’s not what you look like when you’re doin’ what you’re doin’, it’s what your doin’ when you’re doin’ what you look like your doin’…express yourself. - Charles Wright

My recordings on the Archive

stevetoney

« Reply #65 on: November 22, 2007, 10:39:13 PM »

That pic shows some creative use of duct tape and tie-wraps.  I noticed all the duct tape covering the lights on the 722!  Duct tape comes in handy for alot of stuff, but I don't think I'd like the thought of duct tape goo gettin' all over my 702.  That goo can bung things up pretty good.

« Reply #66 on: November 22, 2007, 10:58:13 PM »

Thanks. The rack is suspended from the drink rail by that red quick release strap. I don't normally run that much gear (comp night)..  I've been wanting to try hanging the bag from the rail.

I noticed all the duct tape covering the lights on the 722!  Duct tape comes in handy for alot of stuff, but I don't think I'd like the thought of duct tape goo gettin' all over my 702.

You think I'm Red Green up in Canada or something, eh?  Permacel gaffer tape. 

The LEDs are too distracting for intimate venues. Better to cover them then have someone complain (rightfully) about the distraction. I only need to see a few level LEDs leaking through the edge of the tape.

Offline F.O.Bean

• Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #67 on: November 22, 2007, 11:36:19 PM »

Thanks. The rack is suspended from the drink rail by that red quick release strap. I don't normally run that much gear (comp night)..  I've been wanting to try hanging the bag from the rail.

I noticed all the duct tape covering the lights on the 722!  Duct tape comes in handy for alot of stuff, but I don't think I'd like the thought of duct tape goo gettin' all over my 702.

You think I'm Red Green up in Canada or something, eh?  Permacel gaffer tape. 

The LEDs are too distracting for intimate venues. Better to cover them then have someone complain (rightfully) about the distraction. I only need to see a few level LEDs leaking through the edge of the tape.

why dont you just try stealth mode on the 7xx? doesnt that have everything shut off except the lcd screen? or am I mistaken?

« Reply #68 on: November 22, 2007, 11:51:57 PM »
That mode is handy but you don't get any meters at all.

Offline Lil Kim Jong-Il

• Trade Count: (6)
  • large Marge sent me
« Reply #69 on: November 22, 2007, 11:59:31 PM »

you still get the red 3db light on the left hand side.  just pretend you're running an SBM1.
The first rule of amateur neurosurgery club is .... I forget.

Offline boojum

« Reply #70 on: November 23, 2007, 12:11:26 AM »

Well, I set up, set my levels very conservatively, switch to "stealth mode" and forget about it.  What am I going to do?  Turn it down after it peaks?  Not much sense of that.  My levels are low enough, and I engage the limiter, that overloading has never been a problem.  I can always raise the level in post.  I cannot lower it and make all that nasty clipping go away.  As usual, YMMV  8)
Nov schmoz kapop.

Offline Kevin

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #71 on: November 28, 2007, 06:41:06 PM »
Just got the AR-7 today so heres a few pictures:

That is the pelican 1060 in the outside pocket which fits in it perfectly.  I ordered the RM-Multi/D which should be in tomorrow or Friday.  I could use a little more room for some extra stuff but if I had to I could get cable straps and just carry the shocks +mic bar on the stand and this will work.  I also ordered a smaller pelican, 1040?, so it should free up a little extra space.  This bag is great, fits the 722 very snug.  I like it more than the CS-3 it feels like it is made better.

More pictures to come...
481(3)>722

Offline dennisrtyler

« Reply #72 on: November 28, 2007, 07:21:28 PM »
very nice Kevin!

Offline Kevin

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #73 on: November 29, 2007, 08:33:53 AM »
Soon after I posted the last pictures last night, the Multi/D showed up.  Heres a few with it and some comparisons to the AR-7.  It seems to have enough room for all my gear: 722, pelican 1060, 2 AT 8410's, mic bar, cables, super clamp.  Ill post some pictures this weekend with everything all packed up and make sure everything fits nicely.
481(3)>722

stevetoney

« Reply #74 on: November 29, 2007, 10:35:14 AM »
Soon after I posted the last pictures last night, the Multi/D showed up.  Heres a few with it and some comparisons to the AR-7.  It seems to have enough room for all my gear: 722, pelican 1060, 2 AT 8410's, mic bar, cables, super clamp.  Ill post some pictures this weekend with everything all packed up and make sure everything fits nicely.

If you don't have enough room with all that bag space, then you should consider adding some posts to the YS!!!   ;D ;)

Seriously tough, if you need more room, that Pelican would be the first thing I'd look as options for downsizing.  I think you started that thread asking about storage options for the 480's...without the 1060 and with some of the small sized options for mic storage, you'd have AT LEAST half of that pocket available to you...probably more. 

I think someone mentioned that the Pelican would survive a tank attack and that's true.  But when you're out taping the mics aren't in the Pelican but out and on a stand, or in transport from home to the venue.  Maybe consider storing the mics in the Pelican at home, but use toothbrush holders or something less bulky for transport between home and the venue???  Just some thoughts.

BTW, does anyone else find it kinda funny and symptomatic of TS.com gear-slut addiction that we're on almost Page 7 talking about BAGS for the 722 for crissakes???  I think it's pretty comical, actually.   ::) :laugh:

Offline Kevin

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #75 on: November 29, 2007, 10:41:52 AM »
yep ::)

I bought a smaller pelican, 1040 I think, so it will free up a little room.  Its a little more than half of the 1060 and will fit mics + caps just can't have the caps attached to the mics to fit it in.  I thought of other storage for the mics but I love the pelican and I am going to stick to it.  One option, if all my gear doesn't fit is getting a lense case for the shocks or a cable strap for my cables, but im hoping everything will fit nicely as is.  I could attach the rm-multi to the back if I had to.  Plenty of options...

481(3)>722

Offline Javier Cinakowski

• !! Downhill From Here !!
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #76 on: November 29, 2007, 10:43:38 AM »
BTW, does anyone else find it kinda funny and symptomatic of TS.com gear-slut addiction that we're on almost Page 7 talking about BAGS for the 722 for crissakes???  I think it's pretty comical, actually.   

I don't even own a 7xx and I enjoy reading about bags that fit it!
Neumann KM185mp OR DPA ST2015-> Grace Design Lunatec V2-> Tascam DR-100mkIII

Offline carlbeck

« Reply #77 on: November 29, 2007, 10:45:30 AM »
I don't own one either but I am always on the search for a good bag. I thought I was there with my Petrol until I bought the Portico, now I am back to square one. My wife asked me the other night why I just can't buy gear that fits the bags I already have, women  ::)
I know you like, tape for people's approval and stuff, and wave your tapes around like they're your dick...  but even you can't actually think section tapes from philips sound good.  

Mics: Telefunken Elam 260, 61, 62, MBHO KA200, KA500 > Niant PFA's, AKG C34L-MS
Preamps: Grace Lunatec V2, Shure FP24
Decks: Tascam DR-2d, Zoom F8

Old rig: Recording: AKG C34 & AKG CK1X or CK2X > MK46 > 460 > Aeta Mix2000 > Sound Devices 702

Playback: Thorens TD125, Denon DVD-2900> Bel Canto DAC-1 > Audible Illusions 3B > Rogue Atlas >ZU Wax Shotgun> Hyperion 938
ALL TUBES BABY!!!

Offline Kevin

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #78 on: November 29, 2007, 10:49:09 AM »
I don't own one either but I am always on the search for a good bag. I thought I was there with my Petrol until I bought the Portico, now I am back to square one. My wife asked me the other night why I just can't buy gear that fits the bags I already have, women  ::)

;D
481(3)>722

stevetoney

« Reply #79 on: November 29, 2007, 10:58:33 AM »

That would have been the PERFECT opportunity to use a purse/shoes analogy, unless you're lucky enough to not to have a wife that owns thousands of $$ of both so she has every possible permutation of style and color.  I mean, she has a FULL walk-in closet in our MBR on the main level and I've still got some of her shit hanging in my one and only closet, which is upstairs in the 4th bedroom!!!  :o

stevetoney

« Reply #80 on: November 29, 2007, 11:04:48 AM »
...course as long as she doesn't start inquiring about how much gear I have or how much it all cost, I ain't gonna start complaining about her shoes/purses!!!  I figure it's good balance...and besides as long as I can point to her closet, then she'll probably never push the issue!!!  Ha! 

I think that's fair.

Offline Kevin

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #81 on: November 29, 2007, 08:15:28 PM »
I posted some pictures in the link below with all my stuff in the bag.

http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,92682.new.html#new
481(3)>722

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.293 seconds with 110 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com