Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: ca ugly/battery box voltage  (Read 5151 times)

Offline weroflu

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Member
ca ugly/battery box voltage
« on: July 24, 2012, 06:41:51 AM »
is there circuity in either the ugly or ugly battery box that regulates the power to 9v even when the battery drops below 9v?

at what point in battery voltage loss are they not able to provide 9v?

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
Re: ca ugly/battery box voltage
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2012, 10:32:45 AM »
It's a simple, clean unregulated supply.  Supply voltage will drop with the battery drain.  Measure across the battery terminals while the preamp is operating to determine the actual Voltage under load.

I suggest using Powerex 9.6V rechargables (they now offer an Imedion branded low self discharge version) which measure something like 10.5V or more (open circuit) when charged and the battery will probably not drop below 9V in typical use. 

musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline bryonsos

• Omni addict
  • Trade Count: (28)
  • If it's important, tell me to write it down.
    • LMA uploads
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2012, 10:39:53 AM »
It's a simple, clean unregulated supply.  Supply voltage will drop with the battery drain.  Measure across the battery terminals while the preamp is operating to determine the actual Voltage under load.

I suggest using Powerex 9.6V rechargables (they now offer an Imedion branded low self discharge version) which measure something like 10.5V or more (open circuit) when charged and the battery will probably not drop below 9V in typical use.

X2 My Ugly got over 30 hrs (I got bored and didn't run it dead) on a living room test with a Powerex. At the end, the battery was still putting out >8V under load. I run B3s which are rated down to 5V, so I'm basically not worried about battery life  8)
Mics: 3 Zigma Chi HA-FX (COL-251, c, h, o-d, o-f) / Avenson STO-2 / Countryman B3s
Pres: CA-Ugly / Naiant Tinyhead / SD MixPre
Decks: Roland R-44 / Sony PCM-M10
GAKables
Dead Muppets

My recordings LMA / BT / TTD

adrianf74

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2012, 08:20:18 PM »
Thanks guys for the 411.   Might have to invest in an Imedion 9.6v battery, however, what charger is best recommended?

Thanks again!

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2012, 08:47:03 PM »
You need to use the Maha charger made specifically for 9.6Vs to charge them correctly. 
The one I have has 4 slots and runs on 12vdc so works with both an AC wall-wart supply or a DC cigarette lighter adapter when on the road/camping.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2012, 11:15:10 PM »
I am coming up with a new ugly battery box that will indicate when the 9v is at 7.2 v and should be changed. That way customers can be sure when they need to replace a battery the cost will increase however to $59 for this battery box
for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

Offline bobstammers

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2012, 09:54:42 AM »
Will this feature also be in the new ugly sized preamp?
Mics        : Naiant AKG CK63 Actives, DPA 4061, SP-CMC-25, CA11c, CA11 IIo,CA14c, CA14o, CAFS, AT933 (4.7k)
Pre         : Tinybox, PIPSqueak, CA9100, Ugly II pre, CA Ugly II 3 wire pre
Batt Box : MM-CBM-Mini
Decks     : H340 rockboxed, R09HR, M10 x 2

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2012, 12:03:38 PM »
Will this feature also be in the new ugly sized preamp?

No
for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

Offline Menace

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2013, 12:40:00 AM »
Is it easy to replace an empty battery in the Church Audio Ugly Battery Box?

adrianf74

« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2013, 09:10:49 PM »
Menace,

Check out an old sale listing I have... it has a picture of the CA Ugly Battery Box in it:

http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=152523.0

In the first picture, you'll see that it's a 1/8" cable melded into some epoxy compound with a 9V connector on it.   It's probably the easiest battery box out there to change a battery in since it's out in the open (no screws or anything to get into the box).

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.196 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com