Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Panasonic Lumix DC-ZS200 (edit: mostly about ZS100 though)  (Read 117843 times)

Offline breakonthru

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
Re: Panasonic Lumix DC-ZS200 (edit: mostly about ZS100 though)
« Reply #270 on: April 06, 2024, 08:46:06 AM »
Given that the cost has risen on these, are their better options in 2024? Perhaps something from the 2020-2022 era? Seems that every major manufacturer makes this form factor, and some of the newer Sonys have better specs for example.

Look at how far the processing algos have come for video in just the last few years in the phone realm, I’m sure a lot of this technology carries over to the larger cameras

Is there something peculiar about this model that makes it so popular (price point, ability to shoot long form video, etc)?

Offline guitard

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #271 on: April 06, 2024, 10:19:31 AM »
Question for the Masses. What adjustments would you make so the video's on the screen would display better, while also keeping the band members intact.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hodw1yNLsK8&t

I've followed most of the settings discussed within this thread, just looking to tighten up the video display a little bit.

thanks

O0

You will need to do that in post production.

Since your camera is not moving and on a stand it is possible.

Using bezier masking.

Make 2 tracks of the same video, the one on the top track you can make a mask that cuts out the video screen above the musicians.

Basically cutting a hole in the top video now on the track below it will still look the same until you lower the brightness on the 2nd track below where you will now have the top track at normal brightness with the screen cut out showing through to the bottom track with the new brightness adjustment for the screen.

Render it out.

Good luck

I forgot about this.  But definitely, if you do the bezier masking right, it can make a huge difference.
Mics: Schoeps MK41s & MK41Vs >:D
Pre-amps: BabyNbox & Platinum Nbox
Deck: Sony A10

Video: Canon HF G70 (4K), Sony FDR AX100 (4K), Pany ZS100 (4K)
Photo: Canon EOS 7D w/ Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L is III USM

A/V software: Sony Vegas Pro 18 (build 527) 64 bit / DVD Architect Pro 6.0 (build 237)

Offline ol' dirty taper

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Member
  • I've been riding with the ghost...
    • Ancient Earth
« Reply #272 on: April 06, 2024, 01:10:58 PM »
Given that the cost has risen on these, are their better options in 2024? Perhaps something from the 2020-2022 era? Seems that every major manufacturer makes this form factor, and some of the newer Sonys have better specs for example.

Look at how far the processing algos have come for video in just the last few years in the phone realm, I’m sure a lot of this technology carries over to the larger cameras

Is there something peculiar about this model that makes it so popular (price point, ability to shoot long form video, etc)?

I've been wondering the same thing, looks like Sony might be my next move, but I'm unsure on recording time lengths.
Mic : Schoeps MK21 | Microtech Gefell M300 | Beyer MC950 MC930 MC910 CK930 | Line Audio OM1 | DPA 4061 | Naiant X-X Omni | Beyer TG L34C | AT831s
Pre : Aerco MP-2 | Naiant Littlebox
Deck : SD MixPre 10 II | SD MixPre 6 II | Sony PCM-A10 | Zoom F3
Pho/Vid : Sony a58 | Panasonic ZS100 | DJI Osmo Pocket

Offline RyanJ

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
    • Nine Inch Nails Live Archive
« Reply #273 on: April 07, 2024, 10:06:00 AM »

After using the ZS100 for the last few years I think that you've nailed all of the positives about the camera. The quality you get at that price point is comparable to the low end canon camcorders. It shoots 4K with a decent zoom. The hack to film continuous is a huge plus (on one battery I usually get about 90 minutes which is a downside for longer sets). Also, it's a "point and shoot" and I have not had any issues with it at the doors bringing it in because it looks like a small point and shoot digital camera at arenas that are concerned with detachable lenses.

One other downside is that blues really tend to bleed with this camera. But other than that, I have been really happy with how most of my footage has turned out with it.

Here is something I shot for the band HEALTH the other week with two panasonic ZS100 and an Canon G70. Probably harder to tell which shots are the panasonic and which is the canon. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UjIuR02dxPE
http://www.ninlive.com]
http://www.ryanjonik.com
Mics: Schoeps MK4s, AT853 (4.7k mod)
Pre: Naiant IPA v1.0, Babynbox
Recorders: M10, A10, Zoom F8n, Marantz PMD-620 (Concert Mod), TCD-D8
Transfers: Everything you want

Offline tjj5036

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
    • Rage Against the Machine Live Archive
« Reply #274 on: April 10, 2024, 04:00:15 PM »

To piggyback on what's been said here the reason why its so popular is

1. It's a point and shoot and 99.9% of venues will let you in with it. Out of the hundreds of shows I've filmed only two or three events have shut me down (Tool, etc) 
2. It's on the low end of the cost spectrum ($500-600)
3. Can be modded to shoot more than 15 minutes of 4K which seems to be some EU tariff imposed workaround.
4. Decent picture that will blow a phone away especially further back.
5. Gravity effect of other tapers using them

If you're looking at other options Sony makes a series of excellent point and shoot cameras (Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100, etc) that can do 4K but they're 2-3x the price point. However, I have heard that the Sony cameras apparently do better under low light situations which the ZS100 can struggle with. If I had to pick either the ZS100 and the Sony ones ignoring cost I would probably go with a Sony at this point. However, I'm still happy with the ZS100 and will continue to use it for the forseeable future.
Bay Area taper that runs http://ratm.live . Please get in touch if you have any Rage recordings or know anyone that taped Rage! Always happy to tape a Bay Area show, get in touch if you want someone taped!

Mics: MK4s, AT853s, CA-14s/CA-11s
Battery/Pre: NBox+, Babynbox, SP-SPSB-10, CA-9200, Naiant Littlebox
Recorder: PCM-A10, Marantz PMD 661
Video: Panasonic ZS100

Offline robeti

• Trade Count: (40)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #275 on: April 10, 2024, 04:59:42 PM »

To piggyback on what's been said here the reason why its so popular is

1. It's a point and shoot and 99.9% of venues will let you in with it. Out of the hundreds of shows I've filmed only two or three events have shut me down (Tool, etc) 
2. It's on the low end of the cost spectrum ($500-600)
3. Can be modded to shoot more than 15 minutes of 4K which seems to be some EU tariff imposed workaround.
4. Decent picture that will blow a phone away especially further back.
5. Gravity effect of other tapers using them

If you're looking at other options Sony makes a series of excellent point and shoot cameras (Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100, etc) that can do 4K but they're 2-3x the price point. However, I have heard that the Sony cameras apparently do better under low light situations which the ZS100 can struggle with. If I had to pick either the ZS100 and the Sony ones ignoring cost I would probably go with a Sony at this point. However, I'm still happy with the ZS100 and will continue to use it for the forseeable future.

spot on.

Been doing video since 2005. This is by far the best video gear i've ever had all point above considered.
mics schoeps mk22/mk4/mk41 (matched) | nakamichi cm-300 (JB mod/cp1/cp2/cp3) | nakamichi cm-50 | primo em4052pmi4's | sp-cmc-4u/at-853 4.7k mod (shotguns/h/c/sc/o) | ca-11 c/o | ca-14 c
power ca-ubb | ca-9200 | nbob actives > baby nbox | schoeps cmbi (pair)
recorder roland r-05 
video panasonic zs100 | panasonic hdc-sd600 | sony hx9v | sony hx50v | samsung s23 ultra
playback fiio m17 > final d8000

Offline breakonthru

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #276 on: April 10, 2024, 06:01:07 PM »
The only thing I don’t like is sometimes the autofocus goes way out of focus and back in when shooting concerts. Perhaps there’s a setting to help with this

Offline beatkilla

• Trade Count: (70)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #277 on: April 10, 2024, 06:21:17 PM »
The only thing I don’t like is sometimes the autofocus goes way out of focus and back in when shooting concerts. Perhaps there’s a setting to help with this

Yep

Manual Focus :yack:

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.07 seconds with 37 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com