Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Newbie Question: Roll Off  (Read 8082 times)

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Newbie Question: Roll Off
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2010, 06:04:48 PM »
Hi,

I would like to understand what is exactly the roll off, and how can I use it to improve my recordings , I have a battery box that I can set up in 16, 69, 95, 107, 160, 195 and 888 hz.

Thanks!!

What mics are you using? And are you getting distortion or is it just too much bass?
for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

Offline realkuka

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2010, 11:24:18 AM »
I used a Microphone Madness-MCSM-5 cardioids, but I put you an order for a CA-11 one week ago to upgrade my mics ;), my recording results with my MM gear( Mics and battery box plus an R-09HR) were ok, but not so clear and with low volume. I hope that your mics plus a good roll off setup improve my recordings.

For example, this is a Korn concert that I recorded, if somebody wants to download and tell me what you think:

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=1R2LTSN6

Offline Church-Audio

« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2010, 03:32:02 PM »
I used a Microphone Madness-MCSM-5 cardioids, but I put you an order for a CA-11 one week ago to upgrade my mics ;), my recording results with my MM gear( Mics and battery box plus an R-09HR) were ok, but not so clear and with low volume. I hope that your mics plus a good roll off setup improve my recordings.

For example, this is a Korn concert that I recorded, if somebody wants to download and tell me what you think:

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=1R2LTSN6

You would be wasting your money if you purchased a bass roll off battery box to use with my mics.. They dont need them.

All bass reduction should be done in post... Some companies that sell mics try to flog battery boxes with bass roll off as a solution for poor design and high distortion. Bass roll off does not fix distortion.. it just masks it. You dont need bass roll off with my mics unless your out doors and have wind issues.

Chris

Offline realkuka

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2010, 04:58:12 PM »
Chris, the mics and battery of microphone madness are my actual gear, so if I understand well in order to use in a good way your mics,  do i have to set up my battery box without roll off, right?

Thanks!

Offline acidjack

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (37)
« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2010, 11:06:32 AM »
^^^ What Chris is suggesting is that you should never use bass roll off in the field, and always do it in post.   I found personally that with some mics, to make a pleasing recording, I almost always needed a touch of rolloff, and the rolloff provided by a battery box with it built in would do the trick.  But, I got to that point after a lot of practice.  Doing what Chris says will not go wrong.

And the more important point he makes, I think, is that if your recordings have *distortion*, using bass rolloff will not eliminate that distortion, nor will it ultimately improve the response of your mic.  The only way to make recordings of loud concerts without distortion is to start with a mic that can tolerate high sound pressure levels.  Chris' product is designed specifically to do that.
Mics: Schoeps MK4V, MK41V, MK5, MK22> CMC6, KCY 250/5, KC5, NBob; MBHO MBP603/KA200N, AT 3031, DPA 4061 w/ d:vice, Naiant X-X, AT 853c, shotgun, Nak300
Pres/Power: Aerco MP2, tinybox v2  [KCY], CA-UBB
Decks: Sound Devices MixPre 6, Zoom F8, M10, D50

My recordings on nyctaper.com: http://www.nyctaper.com/?tag=acidjack | LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/acidjack | twitter: http://www.twitter.com/acidjacknyc | Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/acidjacknyc

Offline Church-Audio

« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2010, 02:51:18 PM »
^^^ What Chris is suggesting is that you should never use bass roll off in the field, and always do it in post.   I found personally that with some mics, to make a pleasing recording, I almost always needed a touch of rolloff, and the rolloff provided by a battery box with it built in would do the trick.  But, I got to that point after a lot of practice.  Doing what Chris says will not go wrong.

And the more important point he makes, I think, is that if your recordings have *distortion*, using bass rolloff will not eliminate that distortion, nor will it ultimately improve the response of your mic.  The only way to make recordings of loud concerts without distortion is to start with a mic that can tolerate high sound pressure levels.  Chris' product is designed specifically to do that.

Well said.

Offline realkuka

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2010, 03:10:45 PM »
very clear, thanks for your help!! ;)

stevetoney

« Reply #22 on: May 19, 2010, 10:35:09 AM »
^^^ Agree w/ jlykos.

I also agree with jlykos, but also with guysonic.  If you are recording in 24bit, then don't use roll-off at all, just use your software to adjust the levels in post.  However, in 16bit, rolling off at 888khz is too much roll off, IMHO.  Based on my experience, you'll want to start right around 100 and go up or down a little, but much higher than that and you'll probably notice significant differences in the sound that you won't like.

You might want to try an experiment that I did many years ago, which I found to be fairly informative.  Choose a bass heavy piece of music to play through your stereo, and then set the roll-off at each setting while repeating the same passage at each setting.  Listen to each and compare how they sound to each other.  That's how I ended up zoning in on the 100 point as being about right.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.08 seconds with 37 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com