Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Tascam DR-22WL 2ch recorder with Wifi app remote control  (Read 69166 times)

Offline 2manyrocks

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re: Tascam DR-22WL 2ch recorder with Wifi app remote control
« Reply #90 on: February 13, 2015, 05:40:15 PM »
I think I'm getting a good deal on the headphones and the recorder so I'm okay with it.

Church Audio is having a $99 sale on mics with a battery box in the retail section through 2/20. 

Since the 22wl will be some distance from me in some situations, I've decided to get a pair of CA11 omnis to use with the 22wl.  My thinking is that if someone walks off with my recorder and mics, I don't want them to walk off with my DPAs.  And the CA11s have been popular here so I might as well give them a try. 

Offline Ozpeter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #91 on: February 13, 2015, 06:38:51 PM »
I hadn't thought of that downside to a device at a distance untethered to cabling...  but it does have an attachment point for a wrist strap or whatever, and it would probably be possible to improvise some kind of tether to at least prevent it being snatched - make it so that someone would have to fiddle for a few moments to detach it from its stand.

The other thing you probably need is some kind of USB battery pack to give it longer running times on wifi.  They seem to be pretty cheap these days.

As for the popularity of the device - well, Android downloads are given as "1000 - 5000", and if you make the assumption that an equal number has been downloaded for Apple devices, and that everyone who buys one downloads one or other app, then sales would seem to lie between 2000 and 10,000.    And then you could guess that the original production run was 10,000 and that's why it's backordered.  Or not.

Offline Ozpeter

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #92 on: February 19, 2015, 07:05:37 PM »
Heck, there's some stupid statements in the Amazon reviews for this device - mainly from people who seem to have got a free one to review - ("Why doesn't it have a colour touch screen interface?")  not to mention daft answers to questions ("yes, you can pair this to a wireless receiver for video").  I've done what I can correct errors in comments, but I would think it worth a Tascam rep passing by and providing some official comment and corrections.

Offline Ozpeter

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #93 on: February 19, 2015, 07:47:26 PM »
By the way, I did test the "mark" function using the remote control app - it works fine. 

When you press the "Mark" button, which is commendably large, you get a message back giving the mark number (useful if you want to make a note of what happened at that particular mark). 

On playback (using the remote), if the "mark skip" function has been enabled on the recorder, then holding down the "mark" virtual button and at the same time pressing the skip forward or back button, playback skips to the next or previous mark.  If you are playing back via the streaming function, you may find some buffering happens because you are streaming the relatively large amounts of data in a BWF file, not an smaller mp3 (which doesn't support marks).

Chief missing function now is the ability to select a file in the "browse" screen of the app, and play it rather than copy it (copy is the only option offered once you have selected a file remotely).  At present, the only way to play (or stream) a particular file from the app is to use the forward or back skip buttons until you find yourself at the right file.   On the device itself you can of course browse to a file and play it or delete it etc.

Offline DancyGeorgia

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #94 on: February 19, 2015, 07:53:08 PM »
I know a tapper who recorded a loud arena rock concert (Queen + Adam Lambert) using just the Tascam DR-22WL, no external mics or battery box. The mic gain on this device goes from 0-30. He had it set on 0 and still has some problems with clipping. I don't know if he had the limiter on.

Has anyone used this recorder to record a loud arena rock concert using external mics and battery box? If so, what mic gain setting did you have to use?

P.S. I got a really great recording of the same concert using a Sony PCM-M10, Church CA-11 cards + UBB! If anyone wants to download the FLAC files, sent me a message.

Thanks!
« Last Edit: February 19, 2015, 09:05:05 PM by DancyGeorgia »

Offline Ozpeter

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #95 on: February 19, 2015, 09:08:11 PM »
The mic gain on this device goes from 0-30
0 - 90 is the range of input adjustment  0 - 30 is the range of playback / monitoring adjustment.  Sound like he was using the wrong control.

Offline DancyGeorgia

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #96 on: February 19, 2015, 09:27:33 PM »
The mic gain on this device goes from 0-30
0 - 90 is the range of input adjustment  0 - 30 is the range of playback / monitoring adjustment.  Sound like he was using the wrong control.

No, it was my mistake. I looked at my DR-22WL and saw 0-30. I have not actually used mine yet. I opted to use my Sony PCM-M10 for these concerts since I was very familiar with it and did not want to take a chance on an unknown.

He did said that he had his DR-22WL set to 0.

Offline Ozpeter

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #97 on: February 20, 2015, 08:21:05 AM »
Hmm.  With the device set to zero on the input scale, any clipping must have been from incoming levels to which you really shouldn't expose your ears!  But maybe I'm showing my age...

One thing I'd suggest at a gig like that, and that would be to try the low cut at 40Hz.  In my tests, it appears that the recorder has a very extended - rising even - bass response, almost down to DC, and if there's a lot of LF stuff coming at it, the recorder may be clipping largely due to the bottom end being almost too well reproduced.  I think it's significant that almost all the presets that Tascam provide on the easy setting wheel incorporate that LF cut.  I know it goes against the grain to ditch part of the frequency spectrum during recording, but that might be the only way to get a clip-free outcome.  I suspect that the limiter works in the digital domain - that seems to be the usual thing these days - so if the source is really loud, the clipping might be happening in the analog stages before the limiter.  I could be wrong though...

Offline 2manyrocks

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #98 on: February 20, 2015, 11:09:07 AM »
Might try recording an equally loud concert with both recorders to see if both clip in case your frI end got a bad one.

Offline DancyGeorgia

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #99 on: February 20, 2015, 10:24:11 PM »
Hmm.  With the device set to zero on the input scale, any clipping must have been from incoming levels to which you really shouldn't expose your ears!  But maybe I'm showing my age...

One thing I'd suggest at a gig like that, and that would be to try the low cut at 40Hz.  In my tests, it appears that the recorder has a very extended - rising even - bass response, almost down to DC, and if there's a lot of LF stuff coming at it, the recorder may be clipping largely due to the bottom end being almost too well reproduced.  I think it's significant that almost all the presets that Tascam provide on the easy setting wheel incorporate that LF cut.  I know it goes against the grain to ditch part of the frequency spectrum during recording, but that might be the only way to get a clip-free outcome.  I suspect that the limiter works in the digital domain - that seems to be the usual thing these days - so if the source is really loud, the clipping might be happening in the analog stages before the limiter.  I could be wrong though...

Thanks for the suggestion! Would setting the LF cut to 120 Hz be too high, or is 40 Hz a better strategy?

As I remember, at the next concert he is attending this coming week, he is sitting up high near the FOH speakers. For the concerts I attended last month, when I sat in that location I had to turn the M10 gain down a notch from where I had set it (3 instead of 4) for earlier concerts (by the same group) when I was sitting further from the FOH speakers.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2015, 11:18:30 PM by DancyGeorgia »

Offline Ozpeter

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #100 on: February 21, 2015, 04:31:32 AM »
I'd say experiment with the low cut settings to see what you get (while running the actual recording on something else).  I really don't know what would be best - I'm more into string quartets myself...  The aim would be to use the lowest figure that seems to help with clipping (if it helps at all, but my hunch is that it should) without thinning the sound unacceptably.

Note that if using the remote control app, the low cut settings will only change if the the recorder is in the completely idle state (not recording, not record paused).  The app makes it look as if you can change the settings on the fly, but actually nothing happens.  Maybe try it out at home to completely familiarise yourself with how it works, and you'll also get a feel for how the sound changes, even if just recording yourself speaking.

Offline DancyGeorgia

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #101 on: February 21, 2015, 10:27:17 PM »
On the Tascam DR-22WL web site, the following description is given for the "Loud" scene recording mode:

"This scene is tailored for loud events like rehearsals and concerts. It automatically sets the limiter and 40Hz low-cut filter, and the trim level is set relatively low."

What is the "trim level"?? I searched the manuals and no hits on "trim". Is this the same thing as turning the Input Level Volume Control dial?

Also, is it possible to change the mic sensitivity on the DR-22WL like can be done on the Sony PCM-M10?
« Last Edit: February 21, 2015, 10:51:12 PM by DancyGeorgia »

Offline Ozpeter

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #102 on: February 21, 2015, 10:56:48 PM »
What is the "trim level"?? I searched the manuals and no hits on "trim". Is this the same thing as turning the Input Level Volume Control dial?
Yes.  It just saves you cranking the knob down to the lower end of the scale.  (Note to non-owners - the input knob is a multiturn control, so to go from one end of the scale to the other you have to turn it more than 360 degrees - which is a slight pain for big adjustments but it makes fine adjustments easier).

Also, is it possible to change the mic sensitivity on the DR-22WL like can be done on the Sony PCM-M10?

No.

Offline 2manyrocks

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #103 on: February 25, 2015, 10:00:59 AM »
Got a notice that my backordered  22wl has been shipped. 

I have a situation where a church has a Mackie DL1608 at the stage and I need to playback some tracks for some kids to sing with.  Wondering if I could plug the 22wl into the Mackie at the stage and then control playback of each track with my Android from somewhere in the pews?  I just need to be able to play track 1 and stop.  Play track 2 and stop. etc. 

Offline Ozpeter

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #104 on: February 26, 2015, 06:21:58 PM »
A quick glance at the menus doesn't show a setting for continuous play vs single track play.  You'd need to manually stop at the end of each track.  Ideally, provide some seconds of silence at the end of each track to allow for the (fairly remote) chance that the link drops right when you need to stop playback and has to be re-established (by exiting the app then running it again, which here is a very quick operation).  But it should work fine, and it's yet another example of how this device can be used in unexpected ways.

Another laterally-thought use - connect it permanently to your hifi to provide for recording off the radio or whatever and playback, with mains powering, and controlled from a comfy position across the room.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.117 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com