Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: speaker finish repair  (Read 2998 times)

Offline MattD

• Taper Emeritus
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
speaker finish repair
« on: September 11, 2009, 08:08:54 PM »
I a small "ding" in the black wood finish of my PSB Symphony 6 that goes through the black to show the bare wood underneath. It's about the size of a nail head (< 1/4" diameter). Is this something I can fill and repair myself or am I better off leaving it? It's on a side and near the frame so it's not noticeable from my couch. It just annoys me since it was from something stupid while moving and I did it to both of them in the exact same spot. (I borrowed a hand truck to move them and there was an edge kind of sticking out.)

Thanks,
Matt
Out of the game … for now?

Offline jibooer

• Trade Count: (33)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Searching for the perfect jam...
Re: speaker finish repair
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2009, 08:24:06 PM »
i did the same thing and it ticks me off too, I am eager to see if there is some experts out there w/ a solution.

i am tempted to try to find some tinted caulking, wood filler or something,
Mics: AKG c460b (ck61, ck62, ck63, ck1x, ck3x), NBob Actives, Naiant Actives, ADK A-51TL
Pres: Lunatec V2, Sound Devices MP-2
Cables: GAKables exclusively, AKG MK46, Naiant PFA's
Recorders: Edirol R-09HR, Edirol R-44
CPU for DSP: Toshiba Satellite A660 i7 > audioengineD1
Cans: ATH-50
VINYL: Rega Planar 3 > Rega Brio-R > Wharfedale EVO2-30

mfrench

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2009, 08:53:05 PM »
black crayon.
I've finished forests of teak, and many other exotic woods, and all the nail holes associated with it.  My nail patch kit is a selection of expensive crayons - literally tinted wax.
You can heat a pin, and drip it into the damaged area, smear it in, blade it in.
If you overfill, scrape it back with a razor blade, pulling the blade backward, not cutting into the patch.

Offline jimmyrow

• Uploader Slowpokerus
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • 190 Years of Athletic Mediocrity
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2009, 11:17:04 PM »
I think you can get a furniture repair stick from your local hardware store/HD/Lowe's that will do the trick.   They come in all manner of colors and I'm sure black is one of them!
I just can't find the time to write my mind the way I want it to read.

Offline momule

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2009, 02:34:19 PM »
Depending on the quality of the repair your looking to do.  There are many ways in fixing this.  First of all is it stained or painted.  All I can find online is that they are black ash.  How about a picture of the spot. 

If its paint it will be a bit harder to match.  Matching the color for a experienced color matcher is easy just takes some time (dont take your shit to a home store (lowes or home depot) they don't know to truly color match something.  If there spectrophotometer (color eye) is not calibrated correctly it will result in a bad match and they dont know how to fine tune it from there.)   Getting the gloss or shine to match is a bit more difficult.  If the new touch up paint has a bit more gloss you can simply buff it a bit with some 400 grit paper or depending on your technical know how you can also buy flattening paste to add to the paint once the color is matched and create your own custom sheen.  Or get a qt of both a satin and a gloss finish and blend parts of both to create a custom sheen.

If its black lacquer or stained and varnished you can try some minwax ebony wood filler and then try to find a qt of MEK (Methyl Ethyl Ketone) the MEK will actually re wet the lacquer and fill in minor wood scratches.  Just quickly wipe it in circular motions.  Its used alot of times to touch up baseboards and door trim that has been scratched up over the years. 

« Last Edit: September 13, 2009, 03:36:04 PM by momule »
AKG 463's (uno ck62) > Mackie Onyx Satellite > Microtrack II

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.076 seconds with 34 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com