Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Edirol R-09 FAQ -- Updated 8-01-2008  (Read 65049 times)

Offline pwig

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Regular
Re: Edirol R-09 FAQ -- Updated 8-01-2008
« Reply #90 on: January 25, 2009, 09:09:25 PM »
I just updated my r-09 to firmware 1.31. In the recorder setup - do I want the file split on or off? I have the file size set to 2 gig.

Thanks!

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #91 on: January 26, 2009, 12:31:07 AM »
File split on/off concerns not the auto-spit function (based on filesize), but controls the ability to create a manual split by pressing the repeat button.  If 'on', the ability is locked out like everything else with the hold button. Choice is yours, I like it.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline pwig

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #92 on: January 26, 2009, 09:17:55 PM »
File split on/off concerns not the auto-spit function (based on filesize), but controls the ability to create a manual split by pressing the repeat button.  If 'on', the ability is locked out like everything else with the hold button. Choice is yours, I like it.

When would you use this feature?

Offline LEDZEPZOSO

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #93 on: January 26, 2009, 09:26:57 PM »

A Person on dime records his shows this way.

Offline pwig

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #94 on: January 26, 2009, 09:29:19 PM »

A Person on dime records his shows this way.

In between songs or to avoid missing a snippet of a song in case you get close to the 2 gig limit?

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #95 on: January 26, 2009, 09:42:13 PM »
I don't track between songs, too much hassle and inaccuracy. Some typical scenarios I use it for-
Start recording before the performers enter... wait... wait... 20 minutes later the lights dim [hit file split]
End of set 1.. applause dies [hit file split] roll during intermission so as not to miss the start of set 2, just before set 2 starts [hit file split] or not.  No missed intros, delete the intermission later.. or not.

IME, file split serves 3 purposes- 1) Easy way to eliminate the chaff 2) Easy way to manage where the file size based autosplit happens (not the end of the world if it splits mid-set since it's seamless but it would be nice to have each set as a single file. 3) Starts a new file which means the last one is somewhat safer with an intact file header if something happens like the batteries failing.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline pwig

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #96 on: January 26, 2009, 09:49:51 PM »
I don't track between songs, too much hassle and inaccuracy. Some typical scenarios I use it for-
Start recording before the performers enter... wait... wait... 20 minutes later the lights dim [hit file split]
End of set 1.. applause dies [hit file split] roll during intermission so as not to miss the start of set 2, just before set 2 starts [hit file split] or not.  No missed intros, delete the intermission later.. or not.

IME, file split serves 3 purposes- 1) Easy way to eliminate the chaff 2) Easy way to manage where the file size based autosplit happens (not the end of the world if it splits mid-set since it's seamless but it would be nice to have each set as a single file. 3) Starts a new file which means the last one is somewhat safer with an intact file header if something happens like the batteries failing.

I like what you described. So, set it to off to be able to make this happen?

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #97 on: January 26, 2009, 10:23:38 PM »
On.

Offline LEDZEPZOSO

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #98 on: January 28, 2009, 09:36:04 PM »

In between songs or to avoid missing a snippet of a song in case you get close to the 2 gig limit?

He used the track split for between songs.

Offline lbgspam

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #99 on: April 14, 2009, 11:42:42 PM »
Guys, glad you like all this info, but it would be helpful to me in maintaining this if you kept questions about use of the R09 OUT of the FAQ. Please delete your messages that are not relevant.

Thanks!

Offline digifish_music

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • digifish music
« Reply #100 on: April 15, 2009, 02:35:42 AM »
Quote from: lbgspam

Need answer to question 19 -- Please help! Thanks!  ;D

I wrote up this comparison of the Edirol R09, R09HR & R44.

www.digifishmusic.com/public/articles/edirol_recorder_mics.htm

Summary, R09 marginal (due to self noise), R09HR much better, R44 forget it.

R09 and R09 HR are both OK for live band-level sound but limited due to the mic spacing (narrow).

digifish
« Last Edit: April 15, 2009, 02:50:21 AM by digifish_music »
- What's this knob do?

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.341 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com