Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Wanna jump back into the hobby: Gear Q  (Read 4221 times)

Offline THP

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Wanna jump back into the hobby: Gear Q
« on: October 23, 2017, 08:40:57 PM »
Hey guys,

I taped probably 20yrs ago...pretty consistently with a Sony D7 and AT 831.  It was fun, but DAT was a cruel mistress, and my D7 eventually died on me, and then kids, etc.  It's much more appealing now, being able to share my recordings online.  I had countless mail trades, which was fun, but I like the instant gratification of DIME:)

Now, I'm finding myself with more time to hit shows, and I enjoyed taping.  I have an LG V20, which supposedly is a great little recording device.  I was wondering what stealth setup you might recommend these days.  I've been on Dime for years, and enjoy the DPA 4061's, so I think that (used) will be the route I take.  Is my phone suitable for the recording device, with a battery box in front of the mics?  I'd be stealthing these, so looking for the smallest package possible, and will probably go with hat mounts, which always suited me best.  If those with a BB will work, what's the best bang/buck there?  I read the FAQ, and it's pretty dated, so figured I'd ask for help.

Offline heathen

• Trade Count: (23)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Wanna jump back into the hobby: Gear Q
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2017, 11:25:47 AM »
I don't know if the phone is quite reliable enough yet as a recording device.  There are a lot of good handheld recorders that will probably be better suited, and are perfectly fine for stealthing.  You'll likely want to get a battery box or small preamp.  Church Audio makes good stuff well suited for this, but the wait time for ordering can be quite long.  Check out the retail space thread where he's proposing to have some stuff ready to ship...though also check the long thread about his wait times and judge for yourself.

DPA 4061s are certainly great mics, but what sort of rooms will you be in?  You can get small, decent cardioids (like the AT853) for reasonable prices.

If I were in your position, I'd probably get a Roland R-05 recorder, either a Church 9200 preamp or SP battery box, and a pair of AT853 cards terminated in a stereo mini plug.  If your budget is higher, the first thing I'd spend more on is the mics.
Mics: AT4050ST | AT4031 | AT853 (C/SC) | Line Audio CM3 | Sennheiser e614 | Sennheiser MKE2 | DPA 4061 Pre: CA9200 Decks: Zoom F8 | Roland R-05

ilduclo

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2017, 11:45:09 AM »
I've been using 4061s for a long time and generally get great results unless taping quiet shows with talky crowds. I've used an SP battery box for years (12?) and the reliability & service from them is outstanding. (Only 1 problem with it in that time and it was fixed QUICKLY and at low, low cost) I've heard decent things about the Roland R5 for a cheap decent recorder. If you do go the CHurch Audio route, be sure o read threads about service, turn around time, etc. He may be doing better, but the guy had some real problems, customer-wise in the past!  Good luck, glad to have you back, and post at kickdown central when you get some recording :coolguy:

Offline acidjack

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (37)
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2017, 03:24:34 PM »
The 4061s plus the DPA d:vice is an unbeatable and reliable combination, especially if you use Airplane mode.
Mics: Schoeps MK4V, MK41V, MK5, MK22> CMC6, KCY 250/5, KC5, NBob; MBHO MBP603/KA200N, AT 3031, DPA 4061 w/ d:vice, Naiant X-X, AT 853c, shotgun, Nak300
Pres/Power: Aerco MP2, tinybox v2  [KCY], CA-UBB
Decks: Sound Devices MixPre 6, Zoom F8, M10, D50

My recordings on nyctaper.com: http://www.nyctaper.com/?tag=acidjack | LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/acidjack | twitter: http://www.twitter.com/acidjacknyc | Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/acidjacknyc

jcable77

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2017, 06:41:16 PM »
I was looking at these today. Not sure if you want to go the eBay route?
https://m.ebay.com/itm/2-DPA-4061-W-3-PIN-LEMO-CONNECTOR-/132372317379.

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2017, 11:04:33 PM »
The 4061s plus the DPA d:vice is an unbeatable and reliable combination, especially if you use Airplane mode.

Echoing this statement.  I'd seriously consider the d:vice (its a new minature DPA preamp/ADC which powers a pair of mics with USB out to a phone).  It's super stealthy and an all DPA to digital solution assuring top quality.  I've not used it but hearsay from early adopters around here is that it is stable into Iphone, and Android support is getting there too.

You will need standard micro-dot terminated 4061s to connect to the microdot inputs on the d:vice, don't buy used mics which have been re-terminated to something else if going the d:vice route.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline perks

• Trade Count: (31)
    • Recordings uploaded to TTD
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2017, 12:49:14 AM »

Sorry to hijack - but is the mic on the left a DPA 4061? It looks like they have mismatched grids at a minimum and the clip on the left doesn't look like a DPA either?
Mics: Schoeps MK5's, Schoeps MK41's, AT853's (C,SC,H,O), DPA 4061's
Preamps/converters: Schoeps VMS52UB (x2), Nbox (x2), E.A.A. PSP-2 (x2) Grace Lunatec V2, Sound Devices MP-2, DPA MMA6000, Naiant Tinybox v1.5, Naiant PiPsqueak, Church Ugly, Apogee Mini-Me, Benchmark AD2k+
Recorders: Tascam DR-680, Korg MR-1, Edirol R-05, Sony PCM-M10 (x2), Tascam DR-07, Marantz PMD-661, Sound Devices Mixpre-3

jcable77

« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2017, 01:24:09 AM »

Sorry to hijack - but is the mic on the left a DPA 4061? It looks like they have mismatched grids at a minimum and the clip on the left doesn't look like a DPA either?
I can't tell? The only difference I can see is the wrap leading up to the lemo may be different on the right, but the cables kind of covering the wrap on the left. The mics themselves look the same to me.

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2017, 11:58:47 AM »

I can't tell? The only difference I can see is the wrap leading up to the lemo may be different on the right, but the cables kind of covering the wrap on the left. The mics themselves look the same to me.

Mic on the left has the high-boost grid on it.  One on the right has the low-boost grid (which is the grid to use IMO).  If that's the only difference it's easy enough to swap grids.  My bigger concern is that the serial number band isn't visible on the left mic.  The red serial-number band on the right mic indicates it is a 4061 (a white band indicates 4060).
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline THP

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2017, 12:05:24 AM »
Thanks, guys.  I'm going to do some research tomorrow on these recommendations and will post back.  I'll mainly be taping industrial/alternative shows....that's my jam:)

I don't mind the Ebay route.  In fact, that's where I was eyeing some DPAs:)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.058 seconds with 38 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com