Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: How can I improve my recordings?  (Read 10032 times)

Offline livingdna

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
How can I improve my recordings?
« on: March 20, 2014, 09:40:15 AM »
Been passionately taping for years, but have kind of hit my limit regarding sound quality. My recordings seem to be of too low amplitude and when I amplify post recording the noise level increase. Also, I seem to generally have too much bass. A small sample at http://chirb.it/Jp9d7N.

I would really appreciate any hints about how to best improve om the quality of my recordings. Should I concentrate on post processing (if so what kind?), record at a higher gain (currently using gain 4, Line-In), upgrade my mics or something different?

My setup:
SP-BMC-6 binaurals
SP-SPSB-6 (usually at @95Hz)
PCM-M10

Offline yates7592

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: How can I improve my recordings?
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2014, 10:08:22 AM »
First I would ask what type of music you record, in which position, and what peak levels are you getting with your M10 set at 4? If you're peaking around -10dB to -12dB then just leave it at 4. If you're say closer to -20dB or even lower then you could def up the M10 to 5 or 6. If you're recording fairly quiet or non-amplified music then you might also consider going mic-in. Recording in 24 bit will also reduce noise levels if you have to amplify in post.

Regarding bass, I would not use the bass roll-off on your battery box (switch it off or to the lowest setting), but instead use a simple EQ plug-in to roll-off bass in post to taste. Much more controllable that way.

If none of the above helps then you may want to upgrade your mics. There are plenty of reasonably priced options beyond SP-BMC-6.

Good luck!

Offline livingdna

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2014, 11:01:35 AM »
I mainly record post-rock which is a challenge due to the great variation on amplitude - from quit to ear shattering loud. My position varies, but I mainly tape at small venues so I assume it's not that relevant?

Peak levels: Typically around -15dB so will try to raise the gain a bit next time. Also will try without the bass roll-off.

Thanks for the tips - look forward trying it out!

Regarding mics, any particular mic you could recommend in the us$500 range?

First I would ask what type of music you record, in which position, and what peak levels are you getting with your M10 set at 4? If you're peaking around -10dB to -12dB then just leave it at 4. If you're say closer to -20dB or even lower then you could def up the M10 to 5 or 6. If you're recording fairly quiet or non-amplified music then you might also consider going mic-in. Recording in 24 bit will also reduce noise levels if you have to amplify in post.

Regarding bass, I would not use the bass roll-off on your battery box (switch it off or to the lowest setting), but instead use a simple EQ plug-in to roll-off bass in post to taste. Much more controllable that way.

If none of the above helps then you may want to upgrade your mics. There are plenty of reasonably priced options beyond SP-BMC-6.

Good luck!

Offline yates7592

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2014, 12:37:28 PM »
In that case you should def stick with line-in, and try your M10 on '5' next time. I think that would probably bring you up to around -10dB if you're currently at -15dB. That will help reduce noise a bit.

Regarding recording position, I just thought if you were stack taping (for example) then if you moved away from the stacks (either direction) then you might not get such bassy pulls.

$500 budget for mics gives you some options. Are you looking for omni's or cardioids?

Offline Chuck

• Trade Count: (42)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • time between the notes...
    • My recordings on the LMA
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2014, 01:20:49 PM »
Also, maybe buy a pair of small cardioid mics. They will generally have less bass response than the omni's you are using now.

Chris Church's cardioids get good reviews here and they are much less than your stated budget.
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000
Recorders: Sound Devices MixPre-6, iRiver iHP-120 (Rockboxed & RTC mod)

Recordings on the LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/ChuckM
Recording website & blog: http://www.timebetweenthenotes.com

Offline livingdna

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2014, 03:48:12 PM »
Will definitely try gain 5 next time!

If I do go for a mic upgrade it will be to cardiods. Been hearing good things about the Church cardiods, but I wonder if there would be notable quality improvement if I spend my full budget for another option?

As for positioning, I generally don't stack tape.

Offline brad.bartels

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2014, 05:20:30 PM »
Do you record at 16 bit or 24 bit? If one of the main problems is noise or hiss when you have to boost the levels after the fact, recording at 24 bit should help that out quite a bit if you've been recording at 16 bit. I agree as well to not use the bass roll-off and to it in post unless it's really consistently overbearring. If that's the case, you might need to look at some other issues like positioning or mic response, etc. If you want to post a small sample of one of your raw recordings, I'm sure a couple of people would download and see what they can do with it. I'd do what I could (not that I'm an expert) and send it back to you. Might also help to identify other improvements you might be able to make.

I started with a similar setup as you , SP mics and battery box. I had some of the same issues with hiss when amplifying 16-bit (probably would with my current equipment as well), but since going to 24-bit, I've almost never had that issue. I also try to run around -10 to -12 peak, so a little bit hotter than where you're running, but not by much.

Offline yates7592

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2014, 05:29:32 PM »
Re the mics, if you have a budget of $500, then def spend it ALL, or even better, beg/borrow/steal/save and then spend even MORE. Believe me, I've wasted so much money penny-pinching and fannying around with multiple small microphone upgrades, then selling on at a loss x months later when the upgrade itch kicks in (maybe that's just me)....
I'm not a heavy cardioid user, but I believe there are better options out there for $500(+) than the Church Audio mics (fine mics that they are). I will let others with more practical experience than I chime in.

Offline earmonger

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
  • 20-20000 Hz
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2014, 11:34:40 PM »
I don't quite understand how you are getting bass-heavy recordings when you are rolling off bass at 95Hz. It suggests to me that you should think about better mic positioning. If they are on the floor or in a corner or someplace that can act like a bass trap, get them up in the air.

I also agree with the post above that you should not bother with bass roll-off on the input. The PCM-M10 can handle bass, and it's better to have it and EQ it later than not to have it at all.

I tried looking up BMC-6 but SoundPros seems to have dropped them from its lineup.

The mics are the most crucial element, and if repositioning yours doesn't help, then upgrade.  Chris Church's $150 mics were a significant upgrade from my old SoundPro mics, but I didn't have the ones you're using.  My budget's below $500, but maybe some higher-end folks can chime in.

I do note that Busman mics, often mentioned here, are $599 new for a stereo pair with three different capsules--though they also require a Phantom Power source (not the PCM-M10's plug-in power).

http://www.busmanaudio.com/bsc1.html

Also, look in the Yard Sale for goodies.

Cardioids may be good if you can fix them in position and if they are pricey enough to have full bass (many lower-priced cardioids cut off or roll off the bass too high for my tastes). But if you are stealthing them, or moving around, the fact that they are directional will make for wavery recordings. I'm a big omni fan myself.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2014, 11:46:35 PM by earmonger »

Offline Ziggz

• Taperssection Member

Offline livingdna

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2014, 06:01:49 AM »
I just realized that I wrote the name of my old mics instead of the ones I currently use - apologies for the confusion. Current setup is with SP-CMC-8!

Have considered upgrading with the AT853C-ELE cardioid elements, but again; I am willing to spend my full budget if it will give me significant improvements to aim higher.
One thing to note: I tape stealth so mics and batterybox must not be bigger than current setup(SP-CMC-8 / SP-SPSB-6).

As for recording format: I record at 24 bit, 48.000 kHz.

Here's a sample song:

http://www6.zippyshare.com/v/5697570/file.html

I would be every so grateful for tips regarding improvements of this. Sound processing is new land to me.

Regarding mics placement: They are strapped to my shoulders.

Offline acidjack

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (37)
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2014, 10:44:22 AM »
I just realized that I wrote the name of my old mics instead of the ones I currently use - apologies for the confusion. Current setup is with SP-CMC-8!

Have considered upgrading with the AT853C-ELE cardioid elements, but again; I am willing to spend my full budget if it will give me significant improvements to aim higher.
One thing to note: I tape stealth so mics and batterybox must not be bigger than current setup(SP-CMC-8 / SP-SPSB-6).

Here's a sample song:

I would be every so grateful for tips regarding improvements of this. Sound processing is new land to me.

The number one way you can improve your recordings is wearing those mics on glasses or on a hat instead of on your shoulders. Shoulders are really bad especially for something directional, since it's hard to keep them aimed properly.

Second biggest thing you can do is learn post-processing software. It's amazing what you can do in post if you know what you're doing.

The sample isn't bad, it's just muffled and kind of bassy. Both are related to your placement on your body and probably where you are in the room. But, you could make this sound much better with some judicious EQ in the 250Hz range and below.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2014, 10:46:09 AM by acidjack »
Mics: Schoeps MK4V, MK41V, MK5, MK22> CMC6, KCY 250/5, KC5, NBob; MBHO MBP603/KA200N, AT 3031, DPA 4061 w/ d:vice, Naiant X-X, AT 853c, shotgun, Nak300
Pres/Power: Aerco MP2, tinybox v2  [KCY], CA-UBB
Decks: Sound Devices MixPre 6, Zoom F8, M10, D50

My recordings on nyctaper.com: http://www.nyctaper.com/?tag=acidjack | LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/acidjack | twitter: http://www.twitter.com/acidjacknyc | Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/acidjacknyc

Offline darktrain

• Trade Count: (715)
  • Whats next?
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2014, 10:59:10 AM »

Here's a sample song:

The number one way you can improve your recordings is wearing those mics on glasses or on a hat instead of on your shoulders. Shoulders are really bad especially for something directional, since it's hard to keep them aimed properly.

Second biggest thing you can do is learn post-processing software. It's amazing what you can do in post if you know what you're doing.

The sample isn't bad, it's just muffled and kind of bassy. Both are related to your placement on your body and probably where you are in the room. But, you could make this sound much better with some judicious EQ in the 250Hz range and below.

^THIS ....as soon as I got my mics up high it made a world of difference

Offline livingdna

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2014, 11:22:27 AM »
Appreciate the input!

It makes a lot of sense to get the mics up higher. However, I find it difficult maintaining the stealthiness. Won't at least the visible cables be a problem in that respect?

Offline acidjack

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (37)
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2014, 12:28:14 PM »
^ There are various ways to cover your neck.  The cables of the mics are very small

Sound Professionals sells a number of items designed to increase stealthiness. Are your CMC-8s omnis? If so, they even have a special hat made just for them. It only works with omnis, but it's quite effective with them.
Mics: Schoeps MK4V, MK41V, MK5, MK22> CMC6, KCY 250/5, KC5, NBob; MBHO MBP603/KA200N, AT 3031, DPA 4061 w/ d:vice, Naiant X-X, AT 853c, shotgun, Nak300
Pres/Power: Aerco MP2, tinybox v2  [KCY], CA-UBB
Decks: Sound Devices MixPre 6, Zoom F8, M10, D50

My recordings on nyctaper.com: http://www.nyctaper.com/?tag=acidjack | LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/acidjack | twitter: http://www.twitter.com/acidjacknyc | Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/acidjacknyc

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.074 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com