Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Clean scratchy volume pot?  (Read 4200 times)

Offline voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
  • Needs to get out more...
Clean scratchy volume pot?
« on: April 27, 2014, 05:07:26 PM »
I had an issue on my old audio interface (M-Audio Fast Track Pro) where the main volume pot got scratchy and L/R inconsistent over the first 25% of it's travel.  Now the same exact thing is happening on my Focusrite Saffire interface.  Is there any way to clean or repair these type of volume pots? 

I have an old (70s) Technics receiver that had this same issue which I was able to fix with a combination of generic spray contact cleaner and DeOxit, but it was a large volume pot that I could easily access and spray the internal contacts.  Everything appears to be sealed on these small interfaces though.
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline dyneq

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: Clean scratchy volume pot?
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2014, 10:25:58 AM »
I'm often in the same (scratchy) boat...I believe we have 2 options: drill a small hole and spray a little cleaner/lube (I use Caig stuff), or replace.

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2014, 01:46:08 PM »
I had an issue on my old audio interface (M-Audio Fast Track Pro) where the main volume pot got scratchy and L/R inconsistent over the first 25% of it's travel.  Now the same exact thing is happening on my Focusrite Saffire interface.  Is there any way to clean or repair these type of volume pots? 

I have an old (70s) Technics receiver that had this same issue which I was able to fix with a combination of generic spray contact cleaner and DeOxit, but it was a large volume pot that I could easily access and spray the internal contacts.  Everything appears to be sealed on these small interfaces though.
What I do with these is soak the pots in some contact cleaner. Then deoxit fader lube. But you have to unsolder the pot to do that or just spray the hell out of the pot. And dont forget to constantly work it back and forth while your doing it.
for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

Offline voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2014, 04:50:59 PM »
Thanks everyone for the suggestions.  I was afraid it was going to involve desoldering the pot, and I'm not that skilled with a soldering iron.  I appreciate the info though, and may go for it down the road when and if it gets worse.

I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.065 seconds with 29 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com