Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: which comes first second third and forth?  (Read 2905 times)

Offline Taper Chris

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • wusupwitit?
    • what I've posted on archive
which comes first second third and forth?
« on: June 18, 2014, 12:14:26 PM »
What is the best order of steps for amplifying, compressing and e.q.ing a mix on Audacity? I usually amplify each track separetly and then eq the stereo mix then compress the whole thing. Then how and when would the limiter be used? Thanks
« Last Edit: June 18, 2014, 01:59:00 PM by charvey »
"The thing about choosing the lesser of two evils is that your still choosing evil." JG

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • #TeamRetired
Re: which comes first second third and forth?
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2014, 02:13:32 PM »
EQ can come before or after compression, it depends on what you need.  If there are severe problems with EQ you will want to fix those before compression.  You can generally address setting levels within the compressor by using its makeup gain and threshold controls.  Or you can do all three in one step with a multiband compressor.

Limiting typically comes last if required.  It is quite useful for knocking down applause to the level of the music.

solid. Beat me to it as I was typing.
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

Offline capnhook

• All your llamas are belong to us....
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (20)
  • All your llamas are belong to us....
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2014, 08:30:07 PM »
Do yourself a favor and knock down audience applause first; using envelopes is easiest.  Get that crap out of the way, then focus on the music.
Proud member of the reality-based community

BSCS-L->JB-mod [NAK CM-300 (CP-3) and/or (CP-1)]->LSD2->CA CAFS-Omni->Sony ECM-907**Apogee MiniMe Rev. C->CA Ugly II->**Edirol OCM R-44->Tascam DR-22WL->Sony TCD-D8

"Don't ever take an all or nothing attitude when it comes to making a difference
and being beautiful and making the world a beautiful place through your actions.
Every little bit is registered.  Every little bit.  So be as beautiful as you can as often as you can"

"It'll never be over, 'till we learn."

"My dream is to get a bus and get the band and just go coast to coast. Just about everything else except music, is anti-musical.  That's it.  Music's the thing." - Jeb Puryear

Offline Sloan Simpson

• Trade Count: (1)
    • Southern Shelter
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2014, 10:47:44 AM »
Do yourself a favor and knock down audience applause first; using envelopes is easiest.  Get that crap out of the way, then focus on the music.
I find limiting sounds more natural for that than envelopes.

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2014, 11:21:42 AM »
I find the most transparent way of managing dynamics for me is often to split up the job across various smaller corrections which all work together to achieve the desired result with fewer unwanted artifacts, rather than trying to do it with a single tool.

Some enveloping for baseline level adjustments, limiting to manage peak excursions, maybe some mild compression for the range between baseline and peaks, parallel comp to bring up the low level detail, a dash of salt, splash of basalmic, handfull of crutons, etc.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2014, 01:41:01 PM »
Still riding the glutetrain fader for the crunch, BT.
It's not spitty.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.053 seconds with 34 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com