Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Newbie Help : Sony DAT TCD-D8 Tape pb  (Read 7869 times)

Offline tchoub

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
Newbie Help : Sony DAT TCD-D8 Tape pb
« on: September 24, 2003, 01:48:37 PM »
Hi,

I've recently bought an used Sony TCD-D8 DAT (with low hours) but I'm unable to record or read a tape with it !
 I'm using Maxell HS-4/90s tapes. Those were bought sealed and totally NEW.

The problem occuring is that when I place a tape in the D8, "load" appears on the screen during 4 seconds then everything disapears on the screen (~ 1 second) and the unit come back to a screen with 0h00m00s written on it. I can't write anything on the tape... as all the attempts I've made have failed.  :-\

Is it a tape problem (I got the exact same result with another tape, same model though) ? or a unit problem ??
 I don't know if this is a dumb question but any suggestion is welcomed...  ???

Thanks

rabhan

Re:Newbie Help : Sony DAT TCD-D8 Tape pb
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2003, 01:51:34 PM »
did you use new batteries in it? what happens when you hit record, does it say no input? what happens when you press play? does it say blank?

Offline jlykos

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Don't sweat the technique
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2003, 01:56:54 PM »
This may sound basic, but put the tape in it, wait for it to load, and press record and then press pause.  Something should start to record.
dpa 4061 > Church Audio 9200 > Sony PCM-D50 (Moon Audio Silver Dragon v3 interconnect)

"I have no views," Mickey Melchiondo, known as Dean Ween, said in a philosophical moment. "I am way too stupid. I have no strong feelings about anything. I'm really into television and the computer. I believe everything I see on TV and read on the Internet."

Offline ianstone

• Trade Count: (2)
  • schoeps>something>something else
    • My Recordings on ARCHIVE
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2003, 02:29:19 PM »
sounds to me like it could be a load error.

try loading the tape into the deck while holding the deck in the air, with the edge that has the dc plug (back of deck) facing (parallel to) the floor... then put the tape in and load it. then hit record and see what happens

sounds like the deck may need a repair

ian
Microphones:
CCM4v (pair)
mk6 (pair) and mk41 (pair) with kc5's & cmc6's
mk21 (1) for those M/S situations

Preamps:
Sonosax SX-M2

Recorders:
Sound Devices 722
Edirol R-01

My Recordings on archive http://www.archive.org/search.php?query=%22ian%20stone%22

Offline creekfreak

• Retired from taping
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • My Son's School Bus
    • Rochester Groove
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2003, 02:35:12 PM »
and stay away from using 90's in the Sony portables, some will say they never had  a problem, but  I have seen so many people  jam their  sony's with 90 tapes
It is company policy never to imply ownership in the event of a dildo - We have to use the indefinite article; "A" dildo, never: "YOUR" dildo.
In Tyler we Trust

And isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, ooh ooh ooh, the sky is the limit!

My Current Rig:2004 Subaru WRX STI, Stage 3, 360hp, 380lb-ft

Offline greenone

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Russian mics... strong like bull...
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2003, 02:44:18 PM »
That's definitely a load error. It should say "Load", then "0:00", then "Top", then "0:00" - the screen should never go blank. I'd try two things - first, make sure your lid is pulled all the way open; it should give a soft click once it's open. Then try snapping the tape in pretty quickly, close the lid, and see if that does the trick. Next, try putting it in very softly - push it in slowly until you just barely hear a click and close the lid.

If the display ever shuts off for any reason, it's mis-loaded and won't record...
Unofficial Blues Traveler archivist - glad to work on any BT or related recordings
archive.org admin - happy to upload tracked material to the LMA

DaryanLenz

« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2003, 05:47:49 PM »
And if all else fails...send it to pro digial.  What is the history of the deck??>??  I use 90M tapes religiously in sony decks BTW!

Daryan

rabhan

« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2003, 06:41:54 PM »
i only use 90s these days

Offline tchoub

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2003, 06:05:48 AM »
Thanks for your answers.
Unfortunately, I'm still unable to make the tape load on my D8.

I'm using new batteries, the unit has been bought recently from Lighthouse Media Studios in South Carolina, USA. They bought it NEW 2 years ago and hardly used it during those 2 years (from what they said to me). I'm from France.

When I put the open/hold selector on open position, it usually doen't say "open" and doen't (slightly) open automatically. I have to open the unit myself.

When I put the tape in the D8, it usually doen't show "load". I have to activate the economical mode (hold function) then to place the open/hold selector on the mid position to make the unit try to load the tape. The loading ALWAYS fail. I tried to put the tape slowly, quickly, with the edge of the deck that has the dc plug facing the floor  ... but it always failed. By the way, the lid is fully opened when I place a tape in the unit. (a soft click is heard)
 If I hit "record" then "pause" buttons with the unloaded tape in the unit with the lid closed, the unit tries to load the tape : load appears during 4 seconds then a blank screen (1 second) and the screen finally comes back with 0h00m00s.
Also, it never showed a "blank" message on the screen.
 If I use the "play" button, the screen also shuts off after 4 seconds of "loading" and comes back to 0h00m00s like when I hit the "record" button.

Should I try using other DDS tapes or maybe audio tapes ?

Offline John R

• www.tapers.org
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2003, 06:41:38 AM »
it seems like it's going directly into 'absolute time' mode.  did you do what jamie said?  pause, record, pause.  it should start rolling and showing signal.  if not, send it back.  if you can't send it back, send it to pro-digital.

jr
we all live downstream.

Offline tchoub

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2003, 02:52:27 PM »
every time I press a button like play, record, fast forwrd ... the deck tries to load the tape and fails. Then the screen shuts off and comes back with 0h00m00s ...
so the pause, record, pause does not work.  :'(

Offline ianstone

• schoeps>something>something else
    • My Recordings on ARCHIVE
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2003, 03:27:58 PM »
it seems like it's going directly into 'absolute time' mode.  did you do what jamie said?  pause, record, pause.  it should start rolling and showing signal.  if not, send it back.  if you can't send it back, send it to pro-digital.

jr
Is sending it to pro-digital even an option? If you live in france, this might be difficult, time consuming, and costly.
Do you know of any PRO-AUDIO gear repair places in france? I would consult the Dat-Heads mailing list maybe some other french tapers can help you.

I would also try contacting the studio you purchased the unit from. Ask them if they've ever had this problem before, tell them your situation.  Maybe they will give you a refund, or maybe you will figure out it was damaged in shipment. In that case, insurance may cover the repairs.

Look into all of the different options you have, it sounds like the deck really needs to be repaired.

Oh, and if you don't already know what/who prodigital is, they are one of the most reputable dat repair houses in the US and 99% of tapers will stand by paul. www.prodigitalinc.com

Good luck! and let us know how it turns out...

Peace,
ian stone
Microphones:
CCM4v (pair)
mk6 (pair) and mk41 (pair) with kc5's & cmc6's
mk21 (1) for those M/S situations

Preamps:
Sonosax SX-M2

Recorders:
Sound Devices 722
Edirol R-01

My Recordings on archive http://www.archive.org/search.php?query=%22ian%20stone%22

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2003, 05:48:50 PM »
if all zeros are comin up, doesnt sound like a problem, if the screen is going blank, you got a problem..... :P
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline tchoub

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2003, 04:43:46 AM »
ok I will try to find a Pro audio gear repair place in France but I will try to contact first the studio I bought this from.
I already did that but they didn't seem to care of my problem : the unit was supposed to be sent to France insured but they did not used insurance ... so I guess I will have to pay for the repair !

I will let you know.
Thanks again for your time and your help.

Fred

Offline John R

• www.tapers.org
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2003, 08:23:30 AM »
was your purchase through ebay?  is it less than 30 days old?  if so, send it back.  it's damaged goods.  there are plenty of d8's out there.

jr
we all live downstream.

Offline Cooker

• Local Crew
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2003, 08:46:57 AM »
i am going to totally contradict other advice given here, but i used to have similar problems with my old D8 that had been stepped on.

when the deck is flashing "load", firmly press on the closed lid. hold until you see a result, maybe it will work, maybe it won't, but it won't hurt it.

Offline tchoub

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2003, 03:31:25 PM »
I tried what cooker said.
"Load" was flashing, then I heard a *new* noise and "TOP" and then 0h00m00s appeared so I thought that the deck had succeeded in loading the tape.
Then "Load" appeared again and thge screen shuted off and went back with 0h00m00s. It failed !!

But I have now another problem, I tried to put the hold/open selector on hold and I couldn't. The hold/open selector is now no longer working !!
I opened manually the lid and saw that the tape was jammed in the deck. I managed to remove it but the open/hold selector is now dead ... :'(
This is a nightmare ...  ::)

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2003, 03:34:35 PM »
you can buy my d-8 that is just sitting here.....it werks too.... 8)
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.104 seconds with 46 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com