Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Simple battery pack for MT 24/96  (Read 7914 times)

Offline gorlando

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
Simple battery pack for MT 24/96
« on: September 30, 2006, 08:12:20 AM »
I have gone through several topics addressing external battery extenders for the MT 24/96 and I have seen different approaches, all of them involving a voltage regulator of some sort.
I am wondering if a simple device consisting of just 4 AA alkaline cells in series connected directly to the USB port of the MT would do the work.
This battery pack will supply initially 6 volts instead of 5, but is it a real problem? I think these electronic devices should have a certain tolerance in their voltage rating. This would ensure a very simple battery pack, with a voltage that will drop, as the batteries discharge, to the bare minimum acceptable to run the MT, which should be a bit less of the 3.7 volts of the internal Lipo battery.
Did anyone try this simple solution?l
Schoeps MK4's ORTF, MK41 & MK8 M-S, DPA 4060's,
Schoeps KCY, Naiant Tinybox II, Self-Made Battery Box for DPA's
Sony PCM-M10, Tascam DR-2D, M-Audio Microtrack II

Offline guysonic

• Taperssection All-Star
  • WISDOM FOR ALL TIMES
    • Sonic Studios DSM Stereo-Surround Microphone Systems
Re: Simple battery pack for MT 24/96
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2006, 09:33:54 AM »
I have gone through several topics addressing external battery extenders for the MT 24/96 and I have seen different approaches, all of them involving a voltage regulator of some sort.
I am wondering if a simple device consisting of just 4 AA alkaline cells in series connected directly to the USB port of the MT would do the work.
This battery pack will supply initially 6 volts instead of 5, but is it a real problem? I think these electronic devices should have a certain tolerance in their voltage rating. This would ensure a very simple battery pack, with a voltage that will drop, as the batteries discharge, to the bare minimum acceptable to run the MT, which should be a bit less of the 3.7 volts of the internal Lipo battery.
Did anyone try this simple solution?l

USB volts is specified 4.7 to 5.2 volts.  Microtrack seems to shut down external charging/running at ~4.6 volts.  No way to tell how much voltage stresses the deck, but I have placed a short time 6 volts and no smoke, but how much more volts and for how long before breaking?
"mics? I no got no mics!  Besides, I no have to show you no stink'n mics!" stxxlth taper's disclaimer

DSM HRTF STEREO-SURROUND RECORDING SYSTEMS WEBSITE: http://www.sonicstudios.com

Offline gorlando

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2006, 12:28:54 PM »
There are no easy things, isn't it?
So a voltage regulator is needed.
I have seen on the site of National there are IC's with a reduced voltage drop, around 0.6 Volts. T

Offline guysonic

• Taperssection All-Star
  • WISDOM FOR ALL TIMES
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2006, 12:17:08 AM »
There are no easy things, isn't it?
So a voltage regulator is needed.
I have seen on the site of National there are IC's with a reduced voltage drop, around 0.6 Volts. T

Sometimes things fit together easily, but not this time as Alkaline cells start at ~1.5 volts but 'ski-slope' drop down to 0.8 volts to deliver full cell capacity.  So alkaline cell pack voltage drips too soon for getting needed power capacity to run Microtrack for a few hours more.  Using NiMH cells instead with 5 volt pack starting voltage does not need dropping regulator, but again voltage will quickly drop as capacity is delivered and NiMH cell has delivered less than half capacity when cell voltage of pack has droped below the deck's 4.6 volt cutoff point. So not enough hours gained from NiMH cells that need to run down to 1.05 volts to deliver full capacity.

I have developed a new 4 cell powering sled that uses C or D alkaline cells to put out EXACTLY 5 volts for at least 15 or 35 hours of powering Microtrack.  This scheme uses military type specified 1 ampere output switching power supply that will run down to (2.6 volts = way below) end of alkaline sled cell capacity voltage rating of 3.2 volts.   So ALL THE CAPACITY of alkaline batteries can be used up.

Photos of the new BC-MT4 and BD-MT4 USBl power sleds should be posted this week at: www.sonicstudios.com/mt2496rv.htm

"mics? I no got no mics!  Besides, I no have to show you no stink'n mics!" stxxlth taper's disclaimer

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2006, 03:14:25 PM »
i have run my mt on the internal battery and a 4aa pack with no problems at all a few times for 3+hr shows
in fact i used the same 4aa for 3 shows just recharging the internal

to play it safe you can drain the 4aa before hooking to the mt
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

Offline jmz93

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2006, 01:46:41 PM »
Does anybody make a small battery with the mini-USB connector already attached?  I have something to tape in two week's time that will be five hours. I don't need a big cumbersome pack for 30 hours, just something to get an extra hour or two beyond the Microtrack's internal battery.  Maybe some external battery meant for an iPod or other mp3 player?

Offline willndmb

« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2006, 02:13:44 PM »
Does anybody make a small battery with the mini-USB connector already attached?  I have something to tape in two week's time that will be five hours. I don't need a big cumbersome pack for 30 hours, just something to get an extra hour or two beyond the Microtrack's internal battery.  Maybe some external battery meant for an iPod or other mp3 player?
yes there is
someone posted about an energizer "cell phone" battery that works

most of the 4aa packs are pretty small, just slightly bigger then the 4aa themself

bam http://www.mobilemag.com/content/100/102/C8313/
« Last Edit: October 14, 2006, 02:16:57 PM by willndmb »
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I thought I heard.......
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2006, 08:16:39 PM »
there are tons of 5v usb battery packs out there on the web.  from AA based to LiON.
Radioshack has a slick one for $30.

you can build one for peanuts.  the voltage regulator is a piece of cake.  iv'e built a few of these.  you can plug in an existing feed from a 9v or 12v and still maintain that starting voltage and use a 2nd feed w/the VR on it for 5v.  I made a custom cable for mine that did exactly this.  9v for my UA5, and 5v for the MT...both from one battery.  Plenty of power.  Pleeeennnntyyyy

just google for "ipod battery pack", and you'll hit paydirt.

Offline jsfrank

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2006, 06:17:15 PM »
I have one of the 4AA usb battery packs, but it is a little flimsy and I am worried about the internal connectors breaking. Here is what a guy at mAudio told my friend to buy:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=7906821&type=product&id=1149206660741

I am going to pick one up. I llike that it only uses two so it will pay for itself eventually. I'll then keep the old one in my bag as an extra.

As far as AA's, make sure to get them from Costo. They are shrink-wrapped into 4 packs and the cost works out to $1 per 4 pack.

Austrian Audio OC818 > Sound Devices MixPre-6 II

Offline guysonic

• Taperssection All-Star
  • WISDOM FOR ALL TIMES
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2006, 12:51:16 AM »
I have one of the 4AA usb battery packs, but it is a little flimsy and I am worried about the internal connectors breaking. Here is what a guy at mAudio told my friend to buy:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=7906821&type=product&id=1149206660741

I am going to pick one up. I llike that it only uses two so it will pay for itself eventually. I'll then keep the old one in my bag as an extra.

As far as AA's, make sure to get them from Costo. They are shrink-wrapped into 4 packs and the cost works out to $1 per 4 pack.

The Energizer device is designed to run on L91 photo lithium cells at cost of nearly $2 per cell!!!  Two of these are included.

These keep up their 1.7-1.4 output voltage until nearly exhausted.  Using cheap alkaline cells may not work very long, but please post your results using both types of cells.

Offline manleyf

• Taperssection Regular
  • http://SoulCoustic.com
    • Separate Reality Productions
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2006, 05:50:22 PM »
I think Guy's super sleds look like the ultimate powering solution for the MT, but for stealth size and cost considerations, I recently picked up one of these:

http://www.batteryspace.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=2970

...but have not tested it yet.

I recorded a show last night with and ran only internal battery, to a 4gb CF card, 1/4" Line level with NO phantom power.  I had enough power for the show.

Are there any recording run times posted showing the 1/4", NO Phantom power > CF on the MT?

I'm also wondering if anyones has any MT run times for the inexpensive 4-AA-USB battery pack from BatterySpace?

I'll do some testing and post if no one else has yet.
Earthworks SR30/SRO > V3 > MT/JB3
Church Audio Pro-Cards/Mini-Omnis > ChruchAudio 9100 PreAmp > MT/JB3
http://RecordMeLive.com
http://SoulCoustic.com

Offline willndmb

« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2006, 09:21:00 PM »
i don't have that aa pack but i have one like it
with the internal charged
i recorded 3, 3 hr shows with the same set of aa

should have also told you i run a microdrive so it uses more power then a cf card
« Last Edit: November 30, 2006, 09:32:54 PM by willndmb »

Offline eclark

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
    • eclark @ archive.org
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2006, 09:26:27 PM »
ive got 6 AAs hooked up in series and my UA5 has been running for 2.5 hours now with no problems. they say that regular AAs have an equivalent mA to about 2000 (they are rated differnetly) so do the math and youll figure out how long its gonna run for. (i was at radioshack today for like an hour talking to the guy, lol)
akg 460b + ck61 (-10db) > MixPre-D > Sony PCM M10

Offline manleyf

• Taperssection Regular
  • http://SoulCoustic.com
    • Separate Reality Productions
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2006, 09:33:21 PM »
Alkaline?

Do you happen to have a record time for internal only > CF (no-microdrive), with 1/4" no gain, line level, no phantom power?

Also, anyone know if and when the battery does die, is the MT smart enough to save the file before shitting out?
Earthworks SR30/SRO > V3 > MT/JB3
Church Audio Pro-Cards/Mini-Omnis > ChruchAudio 9100 PreAmp > MT/JB3
http://RecordMeLive.com
http://SoulCoustic.com

Offline willndmb

« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2006, 10:34:58 AM »
Alkaline?

Do you happen to have a record time for internal only > CF (no-microdrive), with 1/4" no gain, line level, no phantom power?

Also, anyone know if and when the battery does die, is the MT smart enough to save the file before shitting out?
yes alkaline
no sorry, i don't have a cf card
however with 1/4 and microdrive the internal will last me about 1.5 hrs :(

Offline gorlando

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2006, 02:44:53 AM »
Just to give an update, I decided to buy this:

http://www.portablepowersupplies.co.uk/LiionBattPack.htm

On the paper is excellent, with 3200 mAh capacity and very esay handling, connection, re-charge
I'll post my use impressions when I have some.
Giovanni

Offline dallman

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • Clifford Morse
« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2006, 02:03:13 PM »

Regarding the Costco AA Batteries, I could not agree more. I have used them for quite some time with my MT. For the past year I was using a 5gb Microdrive that sucked up power. I was fortunate to get one of the inexpensive 4 aa 5v output usb power supplies that quickly sold out and became unavailable. (It looks like the Eveready 4 battery model may fill that void.) The Costco batteries were purchased with the thought of tossing them after each show, but the fact is they are so good, I usually go at least 2 shows using them along with the microdrive. I am uncomfortable with the idea of using rechargables as they do not output enough voltage, and the Costco batteries come in large inexpensive packs.
Support Live Music: Tape A Show Today!
Deck>possibly something here> Mics

Offline Mr. Bull

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2006, 06:04:13 PM »
I think Guy's super sleds look like the ultimate powering solution for the MT, but for stealth size and cost considerations, I recently picked up one of these:

I recorded a show last night with and ran only internal battery, to a 4gb CF card, 1/4" Line level with NO phantom power.  I had enough power for the show.

Are there any recording run times posted showing the 1/4", NO Phantom power > CF on the MT?

I'm also wondering if anyones has any MT run times for the inexpensive 4-AA-USB battery pack from BatterySpace?

I bought the above mentioned battery pack and I can't get it to work.  Does anyone have any ideas WHY?  What happens to the Micro Track when the external power is hooked up?  Does the little battery light come on?
Main Rig
Studio Project C4's>Audio Technica XLR>UA-5 Digimod>MircroTrack I 24/96

Stealth Rig
Cardioids CA-11 MICS>CA-9100Pre Amp>iRiver H115

Offline guysonic

• Taperssection All-Star
  • WISDOM FOR ALL TIMES
« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2006, 06:33:26 PM »

I bought the above mentioned battery pack and I can't get it to work.  Does anyone have any ideas WHY?  What happens to the Micro Track when the external power is hooked up?  Does the little battery light come on?

Usually the battery icon starts scanning showing charging from external power source until battery is fully charged then icon changes to show dual prong plug icon indicating power source is totally external and battery is not being charged.   

Your image shows rechargeable NiMH cells that when fully charged should provide exactly 5 volts, while using alkaline cells when new output 6 volts for a short time that runs down to 3.2 volts when technically depleted.  NiMH run to about 4.1 volts when depleted. 

Do not know exactly why your external pack is not working, or maybe it is and you did not notice scanning battery icon?   If still not working, try new alkaline cells and see if icon works for a short while. 

As you may read in other threads, I am not a fan of these 2 and 4 AA externals for Microtrack as these when working are very marginal to provide scant few hours more running time at best.

Offline Mr. Bull

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2006, 12:21:24 AM »
AHA.  When I used diffrent batteries it worked.
Main Rig

Stealth Rig

Offline Mr. Bull

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2006, 08:02:47 PM »
It's actually not the batteries.  Its the connection made in the device.  The batteries in the picture above are a little bigger than the 1.5v standard Energizer batteries and made for a tight fit.  That is why the 1.5 V made a better conection becasue they were a little smaller.  After I put the 1.25v back in the batterie pack I had the same result.  I then tried moving the batteries around in the holder to see if it was a connection problem and suddenly the Microtrack Started up. 

The People at batteriespace.com we very nice in helping me.  Highly recomended!!!  Problem Solved! ;D ;D
Main Rig

Stealth Rig

Offline gorlando

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2007, 05:34:42 AM »
Just to post an update, I tested this battery pack (http://www.portablepowersupplies.co.uk/LiionBattPack.htm) for a few recordings. It adds about 3 hours authonomy to the MT. Please note that, from the specs, the supplier declares 3200 mAh while in reality it is 2300 mAh (consistent with the 11.5 Wh, declared as well).
It is practical, since its form factor is very compatible with the MT and it can be charged from the MT USB feed adapter or from ay USB socket.
Therefore, although I was expecting a bit more authonomy, it is working fine and extends the taping authonomy up to 5 - 6 hours, which is more than enough for me.
Hope this is of help to somebody
Giovanni

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.117 seconds with 50 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com