Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: fieldrecording/fx with an unmodded pmd-660?  (Read 1412 times)

Offline mortendaman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
fieldrecording/fx with an unmodded pmd-660?
« on: September 23, 2006, 06:11:13 PM »
Hello!

I have to admit that im not really a concerttaper, but you guys seem to know incredibly much, and im sure youll be able to answer my questions.

I make music in which field recordings/general outdoor recorded "fx" stuff is beginning to play an important role. So far ive been using an extremely crappy setup, an mz-r90->sony ecm-ms907, and the amount of hiss is unbearable.

But then yesterday a came across an used unmodded marantz pmd-660, for 343$ which is quite cheap where i live, the stock price is around 790$. For 395 i can get 1# 256 + 1# 2g kingston cf cards too.

Anyways i heard a lot about the preamp hiss in the stock versions of this machine. But since i havent actually read a review by someone who is doing field recordings, im hoping that it might be suitable for the job? with the right mics and so on.

For now i will be using an ecm-44b for stealthy recordings, but i have to figure out which mics will be suitable for "general purpose" field recordings.
Of course for ambience and so on ill need a stereo mic (condenser + battery power), and for fx probably a mono.
No need to say, that im really no expert.

Since my budget is very low (not more than 260 $, used) im considering Røde nt-4/nt-2, akg c1000s. Would these be suited for this machine/my purpose? Allthough ive heard that the nt4 might need some gain, therefore creating hiss when recording quiet soundsources. Guess it will be the same with the other røde-mics.

I would very much appreciate any suggestions to mics.

Hope some of you will answer:)

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
Re: fieldrecording/fx with an unmodded pmd-660?
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2006, 06:46:00 PM »
well, for the money, you could also get an audio technica stereo mic that has a fixed XY mic configuration

i have heard/helped use the rode nt4(the stereo mic) and didnt acre for it TOO much, but on the other hand, its relatively cheap and very easy to use

if you could afford it, id go w/ a pair of AKG 391's, def the best bang for your dollar

or you could get some studio projects for even cheaper and IMO have great sound quality, especially for the $$

id say go w/ the studio projects c4's and be done w/ it :)

for even cheaper you can get superlux's, which are prolly only around 150-200 MAX for a pair
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline mortendaman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Re: fieldrecording/fx with an unmodded pmd-660?
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2006, 06:27:47 AM »
Thanks! I will definately check those out.

But isnt it a big hassle to use two mono mics for stereo fieldrecordings, when - in my case - im often going to do them handheld.?
Besides i know nothing about mic placement and so on, but am of course planning to learn some things through the net.

But of course then i maybe wouldnt have to invest in both a stereo and a mono mic, if im getting this right.

Anyway, those c4´s how do they compare to a rode nt5? I found a singel nt5 for 85$, which is about one third of the stock price here.
Furthermore i can get 2x c1000s for 220$, one thing that should be a plus, is that their level (gain, output whatever) is higher than most other mics right?

Thanks for the answer!

Im still havent be reassured/warned against using this machine unmodded for my purpose though, allthough i have read all of the posts on the subject in the forum.

« Last Edit: September 24, 2006, 07:02:12 AM by mortendaman »

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.037 seconds with 32 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com