Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Reciever Recomendations  (Read 6760 times)

jpschust

• Trade Count: (0)
Re:Reciever Recomendations
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2004, 08:51:58 AM »
also what about some of the lower models of the denons- they are in this price range.

Offline Craig T

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • LMA
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2004, 09:52:47 AM »
<$500, I'd only look at the Panasonic "SA-XR" series with digital amps.  I have the XR45 and using the digital inputs, it shouldn't sound as good as it does for <$400.  The 25 & 45 are being replaced with the 50 & 70 early April.  The XR70 will include impoved speaker jacks and HDMI (digital high-def a/v connection) for the same price as the XR45.  If you can find a left-over XR45, I wouldn't hesitate to grab one unless HDMI means something to you.  Wayne at www.boldercables.com is doing a mod on the XR45 to bring the performance up to that of multi-thousand dollar separates.   Check out the Bolder Cable forum at www.audiocircle.com or search XR45 on www.audioasylum.com and you'll see tons of posts.
Schoeps cmc6/4v / Beyer mc950 / Line Audio CM3, OM1 / ADK A51 / Church Audio CA-14
Naiant Tinybox v2.2 / NBox(P) / Church Audio ST9200 / CA-UGLY
Sony PCM-M10 / Zoom F3 / Zoom F6

Offline Nick in Edinboro

• Wishes he was fishing right now...
  • Toshiba SD3690 > HK AR-20 > B&K ST-140 > Axiom M22
    • moepics.com - share your shots of moe.
« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2004, 11:50:19 AM »
If your going for digital amplifier, why not just build x number of monoblock GainClone amps (x = however many channels you want). ;D  There's a forum dedicated to DIY chip amps here at DIYaudio.com.

These ones were in wood housings, you can make them however you want.

Stupid simple to build really and is virtually a clone of the 4700 GainCard made by Sakura Systems, retail for a few thousand dollars. :P  Not that more money means it's better, but the reviews I've read about it are very good as well.

See the reviews of the GainCard here:
www.enjoythemusic.com/magazine/ equipment/999/47review.htm
http://www.dagogo.com/47LabGaincardS.html
http://www.onhifi.com/product/47labs_products.htm

Forgot to mention, GainClone's work best with very efficient (sp?) speakers.  So keep that in mind.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2004, 11:53:02 AM by npsinboro »
Oktava MC012's (dorseymod) > UA-5 (digmod) > JB3
http://braintuba.no-ip.com

Offline MBecker

• Taperssection Newbie
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2004, 01:42:50 PM »
you might want to take a look at the NAD 742, it doesn't have the bells and whistles of other receivers, but it sounds really good.   Don't be decieved by its power rating either, NAD rates conservatively, so when it says 50 watts x 5 channels, you are getting at least that, if not more.  

Offline wboswell

• Don't call what you're wearing an outfit
    • Trey Woodruff on guitar
« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2004, 02:04:43 PM »
If you buy a used "receiver", you're going to save tons as opposed to a new one.  Check out the used gear on ebay.

Offline Stumptown Matt

• Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm a happy tapir!
« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2004, 03:52:56 PM »
If you buy a used "receiver", you're going to save tons as opposed to a new one.  Check out the used gear on ebay.

I have checked Ebay, but there are so many that some specific model #s and some personal experience is what I'm looking for so I can sift through all the crap.
When cleaning out her attic, Grace found several bootleg recordings her mother had made while traveling around the world with the Grateful Dead. Grace is not permitted to sell these bootleg recordings on eBay.

"If you like the Beach Boys, you'll love Widespread Panic."    -Big Mike

"Music Sounds Better on Grass" -Clear Channel advertising

Offline mgleason007

• Taperssection Member
  • Mmmmm, yummy
    • My Bootleg List
« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2004, 10:42:44 PM »
<$500, I'd only look at the Panasonic "SA-XR" series with digital amps.  I have the XR45 and using the digital inputs, it shouldn't sound as good as it does for <$400.

How about < $300? :o
Mike

Offline Craig T

• Trade Count: (10)
    • LMA
« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2004, 09:12:56 AM »
<$500, I'd only look at the Panasonic "SA-XR" series with digital amps.  I have the XR45 and using the digital inputs, it shouldn't sound as good as it does for <$400.

How about < $300? :o

Damn, that's cheap!  At that price I'm tempted to buy a 2nd for the bedroom system.  You may want to call to make sure they actually have some in stock since its a discontinued item.
Schoeps cmc6/4v / Beyer mc950 / Line Audio CM3, OM1 / ADK A51 / Church Audio CA-14
Naiant Tinybox v2.2 / NBox(P) / Church Audio ST9200 / CA-UGLY
Sony PCM-M10 / Zoom F3 / Zoom F6

Offline creekfreak

• Retired from taping
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • My Son's School Bus
    • Rochester Groove
« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2004, 03:37:30 PM »
A pioneer elite receiver for under $500 is a good deal. Their elite stuff is much better than their consumer gear, but then again, I have always bought pioneer for some reason, even the cheaper stuff, they always have a good mix of features at a good price point.
It is company policy never to imply ownership in the event of a dildo - We have to use the indefinite article; "A" dildo, never: "YOUR" dildo.
In Tyler we Trust

And isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, ooh ooh ooh, the sky is the limit!

My Current Rig:2004 Subaru WRX STI, Stage 3, 360hp, 380lb-ft

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.082 seconds with 37 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com