Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: eed car audio advice (Eclipse & Polk content) UPDATE  (Read 3847 times)

Offline Sterling

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
eed car audio advice (Eclipse & Polk content) UPDATE
« on: May 18, 2004, 07:14:11 PM »
Hey guys,
Since I just got broken into and my deck stolen I have decided to buy another deck adn some new speakers for the rear of my car 95 Neon. I have been lokking at the Eclipse units but my big question is:

Do the face platees come off? What is the secuity measure they use?

And:

What speakers to get? ~ Obviously this is a matter of opinion so I can anrrow it down. I'm lokking at either boston acoustics, infinity references, or maybe JL audio's (of the lower end).

Thanks!

Sterling
« Last Edit: May 26, 2004, 09:57:01 PM by stearnskid »

Offline C.Clark

• Rediscovering the Magic!
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • Too Many Shows!
Re:eed car audio advice (Eclipse & Polk content)
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2004, 10:53:56 PM »
if you need a new head unit, i strongly reccommend alpine and kenwood, with an alpine, when you take off the face plate, it renders the actually electronics within the head unit useless without that face plate.  and kenwood's flip over to the back side which is matte black and looks like you have no headunit and are a cheap bastard, its detered thieves from my car before, i hope this helps
-polk and alpine small speakers are wonderful
Current Rig:
Mics: Neumann SKM184, Neumann SKM185, AKG C414 XLS/ST, DPA ST2015
Recorder: SD MixPre-6ii, SD MixPre-10ii
Extras: SD MixPre-D, SD USBPre2, Sony TCD-D8
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Former Rigs:
ADK TL --> Segue Dogstars --> SD 722
AT4051a --> Segue Dogstars --> MP-2 --> SD 722
AT4051a --> V2 --> MiniMe --> VxPocket V2 --> Laptop
AT4051a --> V2 --> MiniMe --> Sony TCD-D100
AT4051a --> V2 --> Mod SBM-1 --> Sony TCD-D100
AT4051a --> MP-2 --> AD1000 --> Sony TCD-D100
AKGC1000s --> Denecke PS/2 --> Denecke AD-20 --> Sony MiniDisc
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://db.etree.org/cpclar

Offline Lee

• Team Bama
  • "I hate the f***in' eagles, man!"
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2004, 11:08:12 PM »
I had BA speakers in my old truck, and they sounded great.  They're plenty bright, though.  I ran them from a Pioneer premier head unit into an eclipse 100x4 amp.  Paired up nicely with the JL 10w3 sub and eclipse 100x2 amp (bridged, of course).
Denon AVR 3808ci > Paradigm Reference Studio 20 + Velodyne DLS 3750

Offline zhianosatch

• god-damned hippies!
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2004, 03:08:08 AM »
my dad just had his eclipse player jacked. they don't have any with removable faces, but they do have some security feature that identifies the player's location if it's ever taken out and fired up without a special cd you designate as the "key cd" during installation...
and i guess they replace it if it's stolen within a year or two or 4 seconds or some amount of time... my dad's still waiting for his.

Offline jlykos

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Don't sweat the technique
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2004, 04:18:15 AM »
Armen is right; Eclipse faceplates cannot be removed, but a thief cannot use it if they do steal it.  Unfortunately, most thieves are not aware of this "feature" so if your average car stereo thief steals your deck, too bad.  Eclipse will replace it if it a thief brings it into a shop and if the shop reports it, but you may be waiting a little while for that to happen, or until the thief just chucks it in the nearest dumpster after they can't figure out how to run it.

That said, I own an Eclipse and it is the best head unit I have ever used.  It sounds fantastic and does not look so flashy as to be the type to easily catch a thief's eye.

For speakers, all of the ones that you mentioned would most likely need an outboard amp to adequately run.  I run Quart separates in the front, BA 6x9s in the rear, and a JL Audio sub.  I also have three amps.  If you are on a budget, I would recommend a Sony Xplod 4-channel amp (available at Best Buy or Circuit City) and some Boston Acoustics speakers.  Paired with an Eclipse head unit, you are in business.  If you want to add a sub later for a low price, add a one-channel Memphis Audio sub amp and a 10" or 12" Orion XBR sub and you will have a killer system then for not a whole lot of money.

Georgia fucking RULES!!!!  I'm never coming back!!!
dpa 4061 > Church Audio 9200 > Sony PCM-D50 (Moon Audio Silver Dragon v3 interconnect)

"I have no views," Mickey Melchiondo, known as Dean Ween, said in a philosophical moment. "I am way too stupid. I have no strong feelings about anything. I'm really into television and the computer. I believe everything I see on TV and read on the Internet."

Offline Sterling

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2004, 08:26:35 AM »
Thanks guys. I'm actually looking at some alpine head units (although I want an eclipse, the face platenot coming off is just not sitting well with me). After all, I just got robbed less than a week ago (fuggin bastards!  >:()

I'm looking at a pretty nice alpine unit and some BA speakers...I will cosider the amp though. Never thought I'd be "one of those guys" with an amp in the back....however...I'l never forget being at the hampton run in 03' ans hearing this guys sweet car and soundsystem bumping tube....man I was drooling at how krisp and nice it sounded...(drooling...)

Offline mmmatt

• taping > photography
  • ... A broken angel sings from a guitar
    • LightCraft Photography
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2004, 08:58:20 AM »
I have an aiwa (made by sony) and it is fair to middlin.  I have the lower end unit and there were 2 or 3 above it.  My biggest beef is the stereo separation from the cd player and the weak internal amp.  Both which I assume are better in the higher-end models.  The big advantage is they all have a minijack on the front panel so you can plug in your recorder on the way home from the show. I sometimes even just to use my jb3 for every day.  Overall I like it.  I have memphis speakers which I like as well.

Matt
I do think taping is the reality of the business..it is also an impetus for artists to create studio CDs that are ART, not just another recording...    Fareed Haque  2-4-2005

Canon 24-70 f2.8L, Canon 135 f2L, Canon 70-200 f4L, Canon 50 f1.8, > Canon 5D or Canon xt (digi) and Canon 1N (film)

Offline Sterling

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2004, 09:42:11 AM »
Yeahs thats actually why I had the JVC before, the mini jack in the back. However alot of the higher end units (at leats the ones I'm looking at) have RCA inputs/aux inputs in the back so I can still listen on the way home...I love that!

Offline caymanreview

• Trade Count: (22)
    • shows ive taped  that are in circulation
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2004, 04:12:04 AM »
i had my eclipse unit jacked a few years back, but i had bought it with the car, so i wasnt the original buyer and couldnt get it replaced.

first thing i did, was go buy a brand new eclipse. i have owned alot of different head units, but never had any even compare to my eclipse

thier prices are lower these days than when i bought my stuff (3 years ago???) but the product remains as good as ever im told

imho, you cant go wrong with eclipse

Offline JeffK

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • ...just a little split off center than the most
    • umphreaks!
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2004, 05:02:12 PM »
Add Clarion pro audio to the list of source units.  I've not been steered wrong with them.

For speakers, get something that has external crossovers.  Eclipse makes some moderately priced coaxials with external xovers.  For a bit better, check into the MB Quart line.  Canto, Dynaudio, Focal, Diamond are also great... but may be out of your pricerange.

Offline Sterling

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2004, 10:04:47 PM »
Wow those are expensive. I've decided on an alpine unit (cda-7863) which I got for 150 shipped. For speakers I'm seriously comsidering some Infinity References (9603i) for 70 shipped. IDK...let me know what ya think.

SS

Offline Mic D

• Habitual Line Stepper
  • Trade Count: (19)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2004, 02:27:07 PM »
That said, I own an Eclipse and it is the best head unit I have ever used.  It sounds fantastic and does not look so flashy as to be the type to easily catch a thief's eye.

Agreed. I love my CD8053.

I don't know about any other eclipse models, but mine's got a red light that flashes when I turn my car off. Simple security feature but I'm sure it helps!

Offline 1st set only

• Trade Count: (0)
  • you are what you is
    • Don Poulsen Illustration and Graphic Design
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2004, 10:10:56 AM »
I had a blaupunkt that I loved sounded great and was not flashy at all.
I have the stock monsoon in my GTI and it sounds pretty good and is loud as all hell but i hate it. 6 disc changer in the rear is the worst design of all time. I find that music gets old quick when you dont have immediate acces to it.
the show is over go home please.

Offline Sterling

• Taperssection Member
Re:eed car audio advice (Eclipse & Polk content) UPDATE
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2004, 09:58:37 PM »
So I ended up going with an Alpine head unit (CDA-7863) and BA RX 97's inthe rear. maybe upgrade later but probabl afte the car dies  ;). Thanks for the input everyone, as usual.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.101 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com