Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Digital Player Question  (Read 6733 times)

Offline raheen_M_Shabbazz

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
  • I'm a llama!
Digital Player Question
« on: May 19, 2004, 02:13:38 PM »
Hi Gang,

Never posted round these parts before, but I figure you all are the right group to pose this question to.

I'm considering taking the leap and going ALL DIGITAL.  The stacks of discs and tapes cluttering up my life have GOT TO GO!

I'm going to get a few huge HDs and build up a virtual library instead of pissing around with discs and such.

I know, many of you are WAY ahead of me.

But, my question is this :: Which digital player would you all recommend?

There are so many of them out there -- Ipod, Neuros, Nomad, Rio, etc.

What do you all recommend?  I know Rio supports FLAC, but do any of these show hope for supporting SHN?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated...

jpschust

Re:Digital Player Question
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2004, 02:19:51 PM »
well i love my ipod :-)  most others who own ipods will tell you the same

Offline RRobar

• Mac Design Geek
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "It's allgood ....brah!"
    • Headway Graphixx
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2004, 02:57:07 PM »
I love my iPod as well.

I don't think there will ever be a player that supports .shn as it is a compressed format not a audio codec. WinAmp plays them with the .shnamp plugin. Unlike FLAC, Mp3, Ogg, AAC which are all audio codecs.

I've been converting alot of stuff for personal playback to AAC (I'm all mac) for use in my iPod and I backup everything as I go to a 250 GB external Firewire drive (just to make it easier to load stuff back to the iPod when I want to change whats there and to avoid redoing work). I'm sure that the other player can all do what you want to do. I just really prefer the ease of use with the iPod, with my iBook it's seems less with iTunes and it's just very easy to tote around and play every where I go.

(Side note: Jonny do you still want to sell that FM transmitter/Charger you offered me awhile back?)
Need Graphic Design Work? Goto http://www.headwaygraphixx.com

Offline heath

• Laugh it up, Fuzzball...
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • I'm score!!!!!!
    • The Upstream Mend
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2004, 02:58:38 PM »
I love my iPod as well.

I don't think there will ever be a player that supports .shn as it is a compressed format not a audio codec. WinAmp plays them with the .shnamp plugin. Unlike FLAC, Mp3, Ogg, AAC which are all audio codecs.

I've been converting alot of stuff for personal playback to AAC (I'm all mac) for use in my iPod and I backup everything as I go to a 250 GB external Firewire drive (just to make it easier to load stuff back to the iPod when I want to change whats there and to avoid redoing work). I'm sure that the other player can all do what you want to do. I just really prefer the ease of use with the iPod, with my iBook it's seems less with iTunes and it's just very easy to tote around and play every where I go.

(Side note: Jonny do you still want to sell that FM transmitter/Charger you offered me awhile back?)

curious what type of 250 gig firewire drive you've got.  I'm looking at a quantegy right now, but haven't shopped around much.

And the Sultans... yeah the Sultans play creole

The Upstream Mend

Offline todd e

• Trade Count: (3)
  • ***Team Schoeps***
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2004, 03:05:00 PM »
lacie makes a good hard drive, but as damon pointed out, you must follow all steps before unplugging these units!  not exactly un'plug and play'.

jpschust

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2004, 03:05:26 PM »
yah id love to sell it to you drop me a pm and we will work things out

Offline RRobar

• Mac Design Geek
  • "It's allgood ....brah!"
    • Headway Graphixx
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2004, 03:11:16 PM »
Heath,
It's a Maxtor 250 GB drive. Was around $300 or so a few months back. Work bought it I get to use it. I do plan on getting one for home though. Or a few 100GB drives Those can be had pretty cheap.

Jonny, I'll pm you about that transmitter

Raheen,
Sorry for the thread jack.
Need Graphic Design Work? Goto http://www.headwaygraphixx.com

Offline thoman8r

• Proud member of the reality-based community
  • Let's go Pens!
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2004, 03:21:07 PM »

What do you all recommend?  I know Rio supports FLAC, but do any of these show hope for supporting SHN?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated...

There are no players that support SHN and my guess is there probably never will be.  It bears mentioning that the iPod now supports Apple Lossless Audio, which I believe is synonymous with mp4 lossless (could be wrong about that).  Filesizes are comparable to shn.  And no, it's not OSS like FLAC but then again neither is SHN.

To answer your original question, I believe that the iPod is far and away the best portable digital music player available, in every way imaginable (except price).

Dave
"No. Don't call me a hero. Do you know who the real heroes are? The guys who wake up every morning and go in their normal jobs and get a distress call from the commissioner and take off their glasses and change into capes and fly around fighting crime. Those are the real heroes."
- Dwight Schrute

Offline Sean Gallemore

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2004, 05:15:59 PM »
My Neuros has been a good friend for the week I have had it.  It records upto 16/48 as well

Offline Cooker

• Local Crew
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2004, 06:13:24 PM »
go with th nomad jukebox 3 and you can be a patcher as well.

Offline Chapper

• Taperssection Member
  • Do the chickens have large talons?
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2004, 08:09:02 PM »
Just curious why folks are preferring the Ipod over the JB3?  
I use my JB3 in the car everyday and it's become my primary recorder (haven't bought DAt tapes in a while now).
Perhaps it's a Mac thing?
..Just be glad you live in America,
Relax and be yourself,
Because if you didn't live here in America,
You'd proabably live somewhere else.."
David Lowery

Offline Kindguy

• Team Bama
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2004, 08:37:54 PM »
When you listen to shows on the Ipod does it have gaps or clicks like TAO discs?
TDS!

DPA 4023> aeta PSP-2> Apogee Mini Me > R-44

http://www.basicallyfrightened.com/

Offline Cooker

• Local Crew
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2004, 09:04:44 PM »
ipod has gaps.

Offline rokpunk

• WOULD HIT IT
  • Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2004, 09:08:09 PM »
iPod's are just the flavor of the week. The JB3 works just as well, has gapless playback, records at 16 bit 44.1/48k .wav, and is about half the price. Yeah, they aren't as "cute" as an iPod....but whatever.
The new and improved taperssection.com....now with freedom of speech without the repercussion of -T's!

again, your showing your cluelessness.

Jah sitteth in Mount Zion
And rules all creation........

Offline Nick Culbreth

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2004, 10:39:18 PM »
I use my JB3 in the car everyday and it's become my primary recorder (haven't bought DAt tapes in a while now).

my guess would be that the ipod is significantly smaller than the jb3.  i have a jb3 and there are many times where i wish it was small enough to fit in my pocket.

jpschust

« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2004, 10:53:01 PM »
iPod's are just the flavor of the week. The JB3 works just as well, has gapless playback, records at 16 bit 44.1/48k .wav, and is about half the price. Yeah, they aren't as "cute" as an iPod....but whatever.

and they work with macs effectively, and they are  1/4 of the size, and they fit in your pocket, and they can be used as external firewire drives, and the casing is made way better, and the navigation is much easier

Offline George

• May the schwartz be with you!
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Unofficial TS thread killer
« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2004, 11:34:32 PM »
hmm, my nomad doesnt have gapless playback and i have the latest firmware to boot.  Any ideas why?  As for ipods, i hear they roll off the bass a bit.
SP-CMC-4s (C, H, SC terminated to mini xlr)>Tinybox>Sony M10/Tascam DR-2d
Countryman B3 (Omni, mini xlr)>Tinybox>Sony M10/Tascam DR-2d
Audix 1200 series cable from Chris Church, pair of Audix M1280 card capsules

Listening: Oppo 980HD>Yamaha RXV667>Rega R1's + Rega RS VOX + Rega R5S's

"Every time I see a group of teenagers gathered around an iphone laughing at some youtube video, I walk up to them, slap the iphone out of their hand, get right up to them nose to nose, and scream at the top of my lungs:

TAKE A LOOK

IT'S IN A BOOK

READING FUCKING RAINBOW."

jpschust

« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2004, 12:07:56 AM »
the newest firmware on the nomad removed gapless playback for some unknown reason

Offline George

• May the schwartz be with you!
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Unofficial TS thread killer
« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2004, 12:12:30 AM »
the newest firmware on the nomad removed gapless playback for some unknown reason

oh that sucks ass   >:(

why the hell did they do that for?  Grrr...i'd rather leave the firmware alone and not drop back to an older firmware since everything is working out with my nomad.  Let's just say i have rotten luck with electronics.

SP-CMC-4s (C, H, SC terminated to mini xlr)>Tinybox>Sony M10/Tascam DR-2d
Countryman B3 (Omni, mini xlr)>Tinybox>Sony M10/Tascam DR-2d
Audix 1200 series cable from Chris Church, pair of Audix M1280 card capsules

Listening: Oppo 980HD>Yamaha RXV667>Rega R1's + Rega RS VOX + Rega R5S's

"Every time I see a group of teenagers gathered around an iphone laughing at some youtube video, I walk up to them, slap the iphone out of their hand, get right up to them nose to nose, and scream at the top of my lungs:

TAKE A LOOK

IT'S IN A BOOK

READING FUCKING RAINBOW."

jpschust

« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2004, 12:17:28 AM »
yah no one else can figure it out either

Offline d swing

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2004, 03:02:36 AM »
How about a rio karma?  Not nearly as well know as the ipod or jb3 but it's supposedly the only one with gapless playback...

Offline mhibbs

• Taperssection Member
  • it's all about the GA preamps
« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2004, 08:56:53 PM »
ipod has gaps.

The Karma supports gapless playback and is also smaller than the JB3...and really smaller than the ipod overall...it's a little thicker but quite a bit shorter.  I love mine, and would disagree w/ the ipod being the best portable.  The Rio DJ is a cool auto playlist generator, you can create multiple playlists directly on the Karma, the battery life is ~15hrs, the screen is bigger, it's cheaper, it has an ethernet jack built into the base allowing it to sit on a network and send and receive files as a network device, etc....

mitch
Oade preamp museum curator

Offline twatts (pants are so over-rated...)

• <://PHiSH//><
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Lego made a Mini-Fig of me!
« Reply #22 on: June 16, 2004, 04:04:18 PM »

Its a popularity thing.  Most people are more concerned today with their image in other peoples eyes that they cannot make informed decisions on their own.  Basically, Americans are SO stupid, they cannot think for themselves, therefore assume that whatever is "popular" is "best".

That's why SUVs are so popular and why women's liberation went to shit and why the iPod is so common...

But that's just my opinion...

Go with the Nomad Jukebox 3, does EVERYTHING that iPud does and more...

Terry

***Do you have PHISH, VIDA BLUE, JAZZ MANDOLIN PROJECT or any other Phish related DATs/Tapes/MDs that need to be transferred???  I can do them for you!!!***

I will return your DATs/Tapes/MDs.  I'll also provide Master FLAC files via DropBox.  PM me for details.

Sony PCM R500 > SPDIF > Tascam HD-P2
Nakamichi DR-3 > (Oade Advanced Concert Mod) Tascam HD-P2
Sony MDS-JE510 > Hosa ODL-276 > Tascam HD-P2

Offline thoman8r

• Proud member of the reality-based community
  • Let's go Pens!
Re: Digital Player Question
« Reply #23 on: June 17, 2004, 10:34:44 AM »

Its a popularity thing.  Most people are more concerned today with their image in other peoples eyes that they cannot make informed decisions on their own.  Basically, Americans are SO stupid, they cannot think for themselves, therefore assume that whatever is "popular" is "best".

Wow.  wow.  Presumptious much?  I'm glad that someone is so much more informed than the rest of us stupid Americans who buy expensive audio equipment to be popular.  Of course that's why I bought my iPod, I figured it would bring in the chicks!  It had nothing to do with its small size, sturdy construction, and far superior UI to the Karma and JB3.   ::)

Dave
"No. Don't call me a hero. Do you know who the real heroes are? The guys who wake up every morning and go in their normal jobs and get a distress call from the commissioner and take off their glasses and change into capes and fly around fighting crime. Those are the real heroes."
- Dwight Schrute

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.111 seconds with 52 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com