Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Speaker (floor-standing) Question  (Read 6968 times)

Offline todd e

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • ***Team Schoeps***
Speaker (floor-standing) Question
« on: June 28, 2004, 05:11:17 PM »
Well, my folks have been generous enough to give me some loot for the birthday and I wanted to check with you playback gurus to see what type of speakers i should get.  Currently we have the E/S series surround (old verision of polk and they rock), but since I am moving out soon, I need to replace these speakers.  Any suggestions within the 500-600 range?  I'd rather not go straight to crutchfield and be 'sold' a nice pair of consumer speakers, if possible.  Thanks for any help.  I am fairly new to thinking about speakers

zowie

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Speaker (floor-standing) Question
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2004, 05:59:02 PM »
Check out the large Athena floor stander (FS2?), currently a ridiculous steal at $399 from audio advisor.  I think they have Best Buy distribution if you want to get a half-assed demo.  Enough bass to do video w/o a sub.  Only good full range speaker I know of in that price range (but there are also several good choices of monitors).

jpschust

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2004, 06:37:00 PM »
also a used pair of swans divas will be right in that range.

Offline todd e

• ***Team Schoeps***
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2004, 09:53:49 AM »
Check out the large Athena floor stander (FS2?), currently a ridiculous steal at $399 from audio advisor.  I think they have Best Buy distribution if you want to get a half-assed demo.  Enough bass to do video w/o a sub.  Only good full range speaker I know of in that price range (but there are also several good choices of monitors).

Thanks for the suggestion, the pair of floor-standing and a center is just under 600, so perfect suggestion.  I'll swing by BestBuy to take a listen.  I also looked into the swan divas mentioned above, but I think that is a little bit too high end for me.  Thanks again and +T.

Todd

Offline Craig T

• Trade Count: (10)
    • LMA
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2004, 10:23:44 AM »

I second the Athena AS-F2.  Definitely worth a listen.
Schoeps cmc6/4v / Beyer mc950 / Line Audio CM3, OM1 / ADK A51 / Church Audio CA-14
Naiant Tinybox v2.2 / NBox(P) / Church Audio ST9200 / CA-UGLY
Sony PCM-M10 / Zoom F3 / Zoom F6

zowie

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2004, 10:32:31 AM »

Thanks for the suggestion, the pair of floor-standing and a center is just under 600, so perfect suggestion.  I'll swing by BestBuy to take a listen.  I also looked into the swan divas mentioned above, but I think that is a little bit too high end for me.  Thanks again and +T.

Todd

Don't judge too critically if Best Buy has them hooked up to POS source and amp.  I've run these off of McIntosh gear and you'd never imagine they costs as little as they do.

Offline BC

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Bongo Bongo
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2004, 01:32:49 PM »
I personally like the paradigm line a lot

www.paradigm.ca

In: DPA4022>V3>Microtracker/D8

Out: Morrison ELAD>Adcom GFA555mkII>Martin Logan Aerius i

Offline todd e

• ***Team Schoeps***
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2004, 01:53:24 PM »

www.paradigm.ca

which type specifically?  the site is hard to grasp/navigate, but thanks still!!

Offline Tim

« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2004, 02:23:40 PM »
paradigm and B&W both make decent speakers in that range...
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline Willie T.

• Taperssection Regular
  • Namaste
    • My Site (down), well sometimes it is.
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2004, 02:39:58 PM »
www.paradigm.ca

I will second that, look at the titans or atoms.
"Man or woman, if you aren't getting laid, you're being too picky. You just have to find that delicate balance between personal satisfaction and shame." -- Teabag

Offline Craig T

• LMA
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2004, 02:42:40 PM »
www.paradigm.ca

I will second that, look at the titans or atoms.

those are bookshelf - he's looking for floor standers.
Schoeps cmc6/4v / Beyer mc950 / Line Audio CM3, OM1 / ADK A51 / Church Audio CA-14

Offline dms

• Taperssection Newbie
  • Obsessive microphone windowshopper
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2004, 04:31:11 PM »
Magnepans are amazing. I've owned a pair since 1989 and still love them. Direct from the manufacturer the smallest ones (floor-standing MMG) are $550/pair, with a 60-day moneyback guarantee.

http://www.magnepan.com/

Offline Craig T

• LMA
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2004, 04:37:01 PM »
Magnepans are amazing. I've owned a pair since 1989 and still love them. Direct from the manufacturer the smallest ones (floor-standing MMG) are $550/pair, with a 60-day moneyback guarantee.

http://www.magnepan.com/

yes, can't beat the 'true to life' sound and amazing imaging of the MMG's at that price.  just be sure you can live without the low end impact (or buy a sub, but that puts you over $600) and that your amp can handle the 4 ohm load.

Offline BC

• Bongo Bongo
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2004, 06:31:07 PM »

www.paradigm.ca

which type specifically?  the site is hard to grasp/navigate, but thanks still!!

Yeah, that site is really poorly organized, try this one. For your price range I would look at the Performance or Monitor series.

http://www.paradigm.ca/Website/SiteParadigmProduct/ParadigmProduct.html

http://www.paradigm.ca/Website/SiteParadigmProduct/ParadigmModels/Performance/PerformanceSpecs.htm
http://www.paradigm.ca/Website/SiteParadigmProduct/ParadigmModels/MonSeriesII/MonitorSpecs.htm

Happy listening!!
Ben

In: DPA4022>V3>Microtracker/D8

Out: Morrison ELAD>Adcom GFA555mkII>Martin Logan Aerius i

Offline todd e

• ***Team Schoeps***
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2004, 08:46:27 AM »
these magnepan's are really cool.  the traditionalist in me still wonders if they are going to really cut it, but i should probably take ya'll suggestions, as i know shit about speakers. 

is it safe to assume that regular consumer receivers cannot push 4 ohms?  or is it often a switchable option?  just curious.

thanks again for the suggestions.

jpschust

« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2004, 10:19:18 AM »
it depends upon the receiver, ive only used 2 receivers ever that can comfortably push the maggies to their potential- the macintosh 206 and the denon 5803

Offline todd e

• ***Team Schoeps***
« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2004, 09:06:02 AM »
here is an auction for some 'maggies'

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=32861&item=5706040568&rd=1

it is for the whole set.  now how can i tell if my sony consumer receiver will power these speakers?

zowie

« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2004, 01:18:15 PM »
here is an auction for some 'maggies'

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=32861&item=5706040568&rd=1

it is for the whole set.  now how can i tell if my sony consumer receiver will power these speakers?

Unless it's a ES, I would assume that it will not power them properly.

jpschust

« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2004, 01:26:49 PM »
by the way, for those interested in maggies for a stereo setup i believe mine might be coming up for sale soon.  reason being i was going to have to wait a LONG time for Magnepan to get me a center channel and rears, so I've kind of put my maggie ideas on the backburner and decided I'm going with some different speakers.  Also, finding surround amps that push the kind of power they need at 4ohms wasnt so great to me either.  Finally, the inability to biamp my 10.1qr's was not all that much to my liking.  A great set of speakers, however, just not quite right for my purposes at this time.

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2004, 01:31:07 PM »
decided I'm going with some different speakers

Sooo...whatcha leaning towards?
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline Craig T

• LMA
« Reply #20 on: July 01, 2004, 01:34:02 PM »
now how can i tell if my sony consumer receiver will power these speakers?

look in the owners manual for the specs of your receiver to see if they have a power rating at 4 ohm load, or if it says anything about the recommended speaker ohm rating range.  If it doesn't say anything, and only lists a power rating at 8 ohms, I'd assume your receiver will not be the best match for the MMG's.

Offline MBecker

• Taperssection Newbie
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #21 on: July 01, 2004, 01:38:28 PM »
i'd check out the psb image line.  They just updated their image line, but there are plenty of places still selling the 4t, 5t, and 6t at heavily discounted prices.  Amazing deal IMHO.  I've got the 5Ts paired with the arcam avr200, which i find extremely pleasing.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.13 seconds with 50 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com