Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Which headphones would you buy?  (Read 21129 times)

Offline MattD

• Taper Emeritus
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re:Which headphones would you buy?
« Reply #60 on: January 05, 2004, 09:55:42 PM »
How's the build quality of the 580s vs. the 600s?

The earpiece on my Panasonic HT-1000s (best phones for $50, IMO) has been popping out lately and I'm starting to eye a replacement. I already know I like the sound of the 580s (never heard the 600s).

-Matt
Out of the game … for now?

Offline George

• May the schwartz be with you!
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Unofficial TS thread killer
« Reply #61 on: January 05, 2004, 10:36:32 PM »
How's the build quality of the 580s vs. the 600s?

The earpiece on my Panasonic HT-1000s (best phones for $50, IMO) has been popping out lately and I'm starting to eye a replacement. I already know I like the sound of the 580s (never heard the 600s).

-Matt

Basically same build quality: lotsa plastic.  As long as they don't get sat on or stepped on they'll be fine.  Not really a headphone i'd toss around...i reserve that for my Beyer's or Sony's.  I think i can hammer nails with the earcups from my beyer's.  

However, these audiophile headphones are built to last as long as you take care of them.  I expect my Sony's to last another 10-20 years...the only thing i'll need to do is change the earpads every so often.
SP-CMC-4s (C, H, SC terminated to mini xlr)>Tinybox>Sony M10/Tascam DR-2d
Countryman B3 (Omni, mini xlr)>Tinybox>Sony M10/Tascam DR-2d
Audix 1200 series cable from Chris Church, pair of Audix M1280 card capsules

Listening: Oppo 980HD>Yamaha RXV667>Rega R1's + Rega RS VOX + Rega R5S's

"Every time I see a group of teenagers gathered around an iphone laughing at some youtube video, I walk up to them, slap the iphone out of their hand, get right up to them nose to nose, and scream at the top of my lungs:

TAKE A LOOK

IT'S IN A BOOK

READING FUCKING RAINBOW."

Offline stvgray

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • Start at the beginning....
« Reply #62 on: January 06, 2004, 10:15:28 PM »
I agree on the build quality of the Sennheisers. Both my 580s and my 600s have some denting of the screens that cover the outsides of the earpieces. The dents aren't deep enough to get to the transducer elements, so this isn't a problem, though. Handle them with only moderate care and you'll have no problems.

Sound of the 600s is very much like the 580s -- just better in every way. It's not subtle -- you know instantly, the minute you put them on. More extended, tighter bottom. More extended, smoother top. More transparent mids. Once you've heard the 600s, you don't want to go back to the 580s.

If you can afford the 600s, don't get the 580s!
AKG 460s - DIY digi-mod UA5 - JB3 or DAP-1

Offline George

« Reply #63 on: January 07, 2004, 02:02:45 PM »
and don't forget, Sennheiser recently released the HD650's.  :)

"Every time I see a group of teenagers gathered around an iphone laughing at some youtube video, I walk up to them, slap the iphone out of their hand, get right up to them nose to nose, and scream at the top of my lungs:

TAKE A LOOK

IT'S IN A BOOK

Offline stvgray

• Taperssection Regular
  • Start at the beginning....
« Reply #64 on: January 07, 2004, 09:45:31 PM »
Oh, no! Have you heard the 650s?
AKG 460s - DIY digi-mod UA5 - JB3 or DAP-1

Offline Nick Culbreth

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #65 on: January 07, 2004, 11:40:20 PM »
OK, thanks to Alex I bought a set of the Grado SR80s and these things are amazing....they put my MDR-V600s to shame (not that I didnt think they would, I just didnt think it would be this dramatic)...amazing.  Next up is a good headphone amp!

If you dont have a good set of headphones, get a pair!

in my very limited experience a nice sounding headphone amp makes a huge difference in sound quality.  my hd580s sounded nice out of the headphone jack on my emagic emi but adding a musical fidelity x-can v2 made a remarkable difference especially after i changed the tubes.

Offline George

« Reply #66 on: January 08, 2004, 09:50:16 AM »
Oh, no! Have you heard the 650s?

I personally haven't, but i read quite a few remarks about them over at head-fi.org.  You might want to check it out if your curious.  

nmculbreth,

Yep, tube rolling definitely makes a world of difference.  I gotta check out all the tubes i have again for my Mg head OTL.  I have two boxes of nearly 30 tubes combined  :)

TAKE A LOOK

IT'S IN A BOOK

Offline Kelso

• Taperssection Newbie
  • I don't tape, just talking
« Reply #67 on: January 24, 2004, 07:27:42 PM »
I would go beyer dynamic DT 150. That's a classical, but it sounds really good, it has a lot of detail, it's not coloured (sorry if it's what you're looking for), provide 20 Db of attenuation (for noisy environment it's great), and you don't get easily tired using them (very important). Actually I'm using the dt 100 for every mixing, recording, or simply listening application. Itsounds  great but lacks basses (that's why the dt150 over the original dt 100). That's fun because you can see them in the live at Pompeii (Pink Floyd), 1971.
I've tried the most expensive sony but found it coloured compared to these.

Offline George

« Reply #68 on: January 25, 2004, 01:03:24 PM »
I've tried the most expensive sony but found it coloured compared to these.

Which model#?  The v6/7506 should be up your alley for monitoring situations...at least based on many studio's use them for such a purpose.

TAKE A LOOK

IT'S IN A BOOK

Offline Joe w.

• esniper
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Turn JB Up
2016 National Champions
five generations with an unlocked door and a loaded burglar alarm

Offline cregan

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #70 on: February 09, 2004, 12:50:55 PM »
I recently picked up a pair of the Sennheiser SD-270s.  I use them for home recording and general listening.  They completley cover the ear and offer excellent isolation, for 90 bucks I'd say they're one of the best deals around.
"So you're taking a class on possession and trance in music, eh? I'll tell you what, drink ten beers, listen to shack man, and then come ask me about possession trance"

Offline RastaFish

• Taperssection Regular
  • RastaFish Vibration, yeeaaah....Positive!
    • music to trade!
« Reply #71 on: February 24, 2004, 10:56:13 AM »
About a week ago I picked up a pair of the AKG 240s phones, and I am very happy with them so far.  I am just plugging them into my home stereo receiver, no dedicated headphone amp (yet) and they sound fantastic.  One of the nice things about living where I do is the ability to drive to Chuck Levin Music on short notice - they had these phones in stock for $95!

Biggest difference between these headphones and all of the cheaper phones I have had over the years is clarity/detail.  Instead of the colored low end that the cheapies seem to all emphasize, the AKG's are open, transparent, and goddamn are they detailed - which is good and bad, some of my favorite tapes are almost unlistenable in these phones, as every flaw becomes very apparent very quickly.  

Offline Wes

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #72 on: February 24, 2004, 11:16:23 AM »
If your mainly going to be listening to aud. tapes its best to stay away from transparent, detailed playback equipment..  b/c like it or not 99% of aud. tapes are going to be filled with flaws.
" Radio Shack md440zrs>high pass filter>whopper a>d "

Offline DPA

• Taperssection Newbie
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #73 on: March 01, 2004, 05:28:27 PM »
saying the V6 series of Sony’s are a studio standard is like saying AuraTone speakers are studio standards or NS10 Yamaha’s...don't make me laugh…just cause studios use ‘em doesn’t make them standards, it just makes them tools... I have owned Sony V6 and variants for more years than I can count and they are fine, but are somewhat non linear and do not track dynamics as well as I’d like. If sealed cans are required, check out the UltraSone 650's. A bit cuppie sounding around 150 to 225 as are all sealed cans, but other than that, the Ultrasone phones are very detailed, open, linear, have excellent portrayal of dynamics. To my ear they sound very much like B&W 801 matrix series 3 loudspeakers.
Many studios have finally laid down their V6’s and picked up the UltraSone cans.

Offline mhibbs

• Taperssection Member
  • it's all about the GA preamps
« Reply #74 on: March 07, 2004, 02:02:18 PM »
HD580s or the 600s are the way to go.  www.jandr.com has great prices on the 580s.  I love mine, but agree they are a home only application due to the open design.  They are also very comfortable.

mitch
Oade preamp museum curator

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.214 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com