Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Tascam DR-70D 4-channel audio recorder (Part 8)  (Read 95393 times)

Offline voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Tascam DR-70D 4-channel audio recorder (Part 8)
« Reply #180 on: February 21, 2018, 08:11:29 PM »
I re-formattted the SD card that I've used successfully many times before, is there anything else that might lead to this annoyance ?
Rich - did you use the "official" SD Card Formatter??? 

https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter_4/

+1 to this.  Do an "Erase Over Write" format to be sure.
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline Walstib62

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #181 on: February 21, 2018, 10:59:18 PM »
Used my Tascam 70D over the weekend and noticed some clips during a few songs....luckily it was just a local band I've recorded many times before.

I re-formattted the SD card that I've used successfully many times before, is there anything else that might lead to this annoyance ?

https://archive.org/details/TheMightyManatees2018-02-16.aud.matrix.flac16

I occasionally click the battery pack button to make sure the signal is strong to the unit (that I position on top of the recorder) but I only did this a few times, and I noticed almost a clip in each song.

any advice, thanks.

When you say "clip" what exactly do you mean? Signal clipping at peak amplitude??

Offline Papaphunk

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #182 on: February 23, 2018, 10:58:14 AM »
Used my Tascam 70D over the weekend and noticed some clips during a few songs....luckily it was just a local band I've recorded many times before.

https://archive.org/details/TheMightyManatees2018-02-16.aud.matrix.flac16

I occasionally click the battery pack button to make sure the signal is strong to the unit (that I position on top of the recorder) but I only did this a few times, and I noticed almost a clip in each song.

any advice, thanks.

When you say "clip" what exactly do you mean? Signal clipping at peak amplitude??

3:07 mark of track 3 and then again at 5:48 mark of track 3 for example. This clipping noise that popped up recently, never experienced before using this deck or card.
AKG CK-61 / CK-62 / CK-63  > AKG c480b / c460b Bodies
ZOOM H6 - TASCAM DR-100MKII & III

1500+ Recordings Uploaded to Archive: https://archive.org/details/@papaphunk

Offline malow

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
  • Tascam DR-70D W/mods
« Reply #183 on: February 23, 2018, 01:28:38 PM »
sounds like a analog pop (DC offset spike) and not a digital one (so the card likely is not the problem)

like the input capacitor was shorted for a millisecond. or the input was disconnected. maybe the problem was where the sound came from? (don't know if you use the internal mics/condenser mics/sound from a mixer board)

if you can, i think you can test your recorder by putting 4 condenser mics with phantom on them, and let them record silence for as long as you can. and see if the "pop" happens with your recorder alone

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/mastering-forum/492746-what-causes-bursts-dc-offset.html
« Last Edit: February 23, 2018, 02:07:56 PM by malow »

Offline malow

• Taperssection Newbie
  • Tascam DR-70D W/mods
« Reply #184 on: March 11, 2018, 06:34:05 AM »
Used my Tascam 70D over the weekend and noticed some clips during a few songs....
guess what? i got it today that too!

reason? bad connectors/bad mixing board!

to give you a "picture", this was the mixer model:

this SKP brand is the crap of the crap. this mixer had the entire left channel NOT WORKING AT ALL. AUX bus NOT WORKING AT ALL. half of the inputs the audio got distorted (i had to test for the "audio guy" to know witch ones worked properly). the connectors where very loose and any slight wiggle i got the classic 60hz hum on the output..  they used mics with XLR > TS cables and connected in the LINE-IN jack ( :banging head: ) (so now you can see the whole picture)

to be clear, my TS connectors are brand new and high quality. no problems in my cables whatsoever. as i got separated tracks, the problem happened in the track recorded audio from the headphone output (was using PFL for separated tracks as AUX was not working). the pops happened when they tried to connect a keyboard audio output in the mixer.

picture and audio with the problem attached...

so, you can be sure, the problem is not on this recorder...
« Last Edit: March 11, 2018, 10:26:28 PM by malow »

Offline billydee

• Trade Count: (19)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #185 on: March 18, 2018, 12:20:02 PM »
I'm considering pulling the trigger on the SanDisk SDSDXPA-064G 64gb SD card for my DR-70D. Amazon has it for $39.50 right now.

Any of you folks used this particular card?

It's on the latest approved media list, but I'm always a little worried for some reason....thanks for any input or even any other recommendations you might have.

Offline billydee

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #186 on: March 28, 2018, 09:07:16 PM »
I'm considering pulling the trigger on the SanDisk SDSDXPA-064G 64gb SD card for my DR-70D. Amazon has it for $39.50 right now.

It's on the latest approved media list, but I'm always a little worried for some reason....thanks for any input or even any other recommendations you might have.
Bought the SDSDXPA-064G card and then did the search here (bass ackwards huh?) and found that at least Bean couldn't be happier with this particular card. So I'll start testing it soon and see what happens. Will report back if I experience anything unexpected.

Offline billydee

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #187 on: March 28, 2018, 10:13:51 PM »

Bought the SDSDXPA-064G card and then did the search here (bass ackwards huh?) and found that at least Bean couldn't be happier with this particular card. So I'll start testing it soon and see what happens. Will report back if I experience anything unexpected.
Well I'm back. The card was/is a dud! The DR-70D would not accept it. First message was "MBR Error". Next message was "Invalid Card / Change Card".
So I tried it in my PC and formatting failed. Tried it in the PC using SD Card Formatter program and that failed.
It's already packaged back up and will be in the mail back to Amazon for full refund in the morning....darn.
I guess I didn't heed the "fulfilled by" warning when purchasing thru Amazon. It was not fulfilled by them....my bad.  >:(

Offline voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #188 on: March 28, 2018, 10:33:27 PM »

Well I'm back. The card was/is a dud! The DR-70D would not accept it. First message was "MBR Error". Next message was "Invalid Card / Change Card".
So I tried it in my PC and formatting failed. Tried it in the PC using SD Card Formatter program and that failed.
It's already packaged back up and will be in the mail back to Amazon for full refund in the morning....darn.
I guess I didn't heed the "fulfilled by" warning when purchasing thru Amazon. It was not fulfilled by them....my bad.  >:(

Sorry to hear you ran into a possible counterfeit.  They are rampant.  For flash memory, you always need to make sure it is coming from an authorized dealer.
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline billydee

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #189 on: March 28, 2018, 10:59:17 PM »

Sorry to hear you ran into a possible counterfeit.  They are rampant.  For flash memory, you always need to make sure it is coming from an authorized dealer.
It's really frustrating. Right now I can't find even one 16, 32 or 64gb card for sale (that looks legit) from the latest Tascam approved media list.

Offline malow

• Taperssection Newbie
  • Tascam DR-70D W/mods
« Reply #190 on: March 28, 2018, 11:03:06 PM »
I'm using a old sandisk 32GB class 2 (not on approved list). works great so far, not a single problem. latest firmware.

Offline billydee

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #191 on: March 28, 2018, 11:17:40 PM »
I'm using a old sandisk 32GB class 2 (not on approved list). works great so far, not a single problem. latest firmware.
I appreciate that. My problem is the first card I ever used (not on the lists) had an issue, and I finally found a good one eventually but now need another for a second recorder.

Offline johnmuge

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #192 on: March 29, 2018, 09:00:05 AM »
I know this card is not on the approved list but has been working fine in my machine with firmware vs. 13

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1164629-REG/pny_technologies_p_sdh32u195_ge_32gb_elite_sdhc_uhs_1_card.html
> AKG c480b(ck61,ck63) Naiant Couplings-PFA / Beyer MC930 / Milab VM-44 link / Nevaton MCE400
 > Littlebox w/output xformers / Tinybox w/ dual output  
 > Tascam DR-680, DR70d / Sony M-10 / Oade ACM Marantz PMD660

Offline jimjazzdad

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #193 on: March 31, 2018, 02:40:12 PM »
I have been using a SanDisk Ultra 32 GB (80MB/s). I have recorded sessions of over 3 hrs using 4 channels at 96 kHz with no issues.

Offline Papaphunk

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #194 on: April 09, 2018, 10:03:32 AM »
Quick Question - Hoping for my first soundboard patch request later this week.

If I run XLR's from Soundboard into spots 3 and 4 on the TASCAM 70D Unit, Phantom Power On or Off ? (I'm guessing off, but just thought to check).  (Running CA-14 Cards in Stereo Spots 1 and 2 for a live mix)
AKG CK-61 / CK-62 / CK-63  > AKG c480b / c460b Bodies
ZOOM H6 - TASCAM DR-100MKII & III

1500+ Recordings Uploaded to Archive: https://archive.org/details/@papaphunk

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.112 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com