Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Crazy cheap schoeps actives project  (Read 7503 times)

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
  • Needs to get out more...
Crazy cheap schoeps actives project
« on: August 15, 2005, 09:14:42 PM »
Goal: Pair of Schoeps CMC6 bodies + actives for $1100 ??  Maybe with Mk4 caps for $1700?

Here's what I'm trying..  This company sells used Schoeps installations from board rooms, lecterns, etc. You get a CMC6, a MK4S (vocal) cap, a 14" semi-rigid active mounting gooseneck and a windscreen.  The color is sorta tan. These have been going for $800-$835. 

http://cgi.ebay.com/Schoeps-MK4S-Microphone-CMC6-Amp-Pro-Audio_W0QQitemZ7343763257QQcategoryZ41466QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

My plan is to hack the gooseneck and replace it with a chunk of mic cable.  I received one of these units and after some testing began dissecting a gooseneck last night. It seems to contain the necessary buffer circuit.  I don't know if this is the same active buffer as found in a KC5.  I also don't know if the circuit will have to be tweaked in order to work well with a somewhat longer cable.

It was necessary to cut the gooseneck to disassemble it safely.  Final removal of the gooseneck from the shells was tricky. I just sweated it out by carefully heating the goose with a propane torch. After some annealing,  I tugged and unwound the first one (it is spring steal and tough). I heated the second a bit more and it came out pretty easily. I was just able to avoid charing the shell paint. I was pretty worried about getting it out without damaging the shells.

I'm having a little trouble finding some 1804A cable to wire these up.. Any source or substitute suggestions would be appreciated.  I have some mini-star quad on hand but I'd like to use something more sexy.

There is also the question of soldering the cable in.. Do I risk soldering the cable to the mounting pad or do I cut and solder to the existing wires?  I'm leaning toward the latter but more concerned about connection quality with that approach.

Here are some pics of the progress.  There are also a couple pics of the CMC6 innards for the curious.

At this point I plan on selling the Mk4S. I don't know what they're worth.  With some help, there's a chance the bass rolloff could possibly be removed.  But I'd need some coaching for that one..  That would Really sweeten this deal.

« Last Edit: September 17, 2009, 11:12:12 PM by Freelunch »

Offline dmonterisi

• Taper Emeritus
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Stomach Full of Regret
Re: Crazy cheap schoeps actives project
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2005, 09:23:29 PM »
good luck with the project...+T for ingenuity.  however, you have far larger gonads than me to try this:

It was necessary to cut the gooseneck to disassemble it safely.  Final removal of the gooseneck from the shells was tricky. I just sweated it out by carefully heating the goose with a propane torch. After some annealing,  I tugged and unwound the first one (it is spring steal and tough). I heated the second a bit more and it came out pretty easily. I was just able to avoid charing the shell paint. I was pretty worried about getting it out without damaging the shells.

Offline gonads

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2005, 09:25:18 PM »
good luck with the project...+T for ingenuity.  however, you have far larger gonads than me to try this:

agreed
My Attitude Sucks

Offline dmonterisi

• Taper Emeritus
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Stomach Full of Regret
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2005, 09:29:27 PM »
i forgot about 'nads...how's it hanging, bro?

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2005, 09:26:31 AM »
you definately have more guts (and skill) than I, but it would be super tite if that worked out for you!
Tickets are dead to me.  Except the ones I have, don't have, and lost.  Not to mention the ones you have, don't have, and lost.   And the ones that other dude has, doesn't have, and lost.  Let me know if you need some tickets, I'm happy to oblige. 

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

Offline dklein

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2005, 05:18:58 PM »
thanks for the pics - I've always wondered what's in an active cable and JK seems to be gone.  I think I see a resistor, lytic cap, FET, ferrite bead for RF?,  and somethin' else - is that red guy another cap?
KM 184 > V2 > R4
older recording gear: UA-5  / emagic A62 / laptop / JB3 / CSB / AD20 / Sharp MT-90 / Sony MDS-JE510
Playback: Pioneer DV-578 > Lucid DA 9624 >many funny little british boxes > Linn Isobarik PMS

Offline momule

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2005, 06:26:02 PM »
you can find the belden cable your needing here.
I just picked up 30 ft from them a couple weeks ago.

http://eskc.com/contactus.asp

heres a link to the cable in there catalog.
http://eskc.com/invout.asp?SearchBy=Part&SearchFor=1804a
« Last Edit: August 20, 2005, 06:56:30 PM by Momule »
AKG 463's (uno ck62) > Mackie Onyx Satellite > Microtrack II

Offline JAH

• Taperssection Member
  • The kids they dance, they shake their bones!
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2005, 06:45:56 PM »
- is that red guy another cap?

yup....
Taping, it's a team sport!
km140/150>M148>mme or msbm-1
...yes screwdriver impaired
modified akg 461/2/ck8
iH120...and a slew of dat decks ;-(

Offline dklein

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2005, 09:53:07 PM »
KM 184 > V2 > R4
older recording gear: UA-5  / emagic A62 / laptop / JB3 / CSB / AD20 / Sharp MT-90 / Sony MDS-JE510
Playback: Pioneer DV-578 > Lucid DA 9624 >many funny little british boxes > Linn Isobarik PMS

Offline bluegrass_brad

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Old and in the way.
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2005, 01:28:36 PM »
Nice work!
« Last Edit: August 26, 2005, 01:49:33 PM by bluegrass_brad »
CK1x, CK2x, CK3x > Hub Industry Cables > Naiant PFA or MK46 > 460B
CK1, CK8, CK63 > 460b

"That was back in a time when society was not quite ready for this music. Anyone remember those days? That's when punk rock was dangerous, right?" - Mike Ness

Offline poorlyconditioned

• Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm a tapir!
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2005, 01:46:16 PM »
Goal: Pair of Schoeps CMC6 bodies + actives for $1100 ??  Maybe with Mk4 caps for $1700?

Here's what I'm trying..  This company sells used Schoeps installations from board rooms, lecterns, etc. You get a CMC6, a MK4S (vocal) cap, a 14" semi-rigid active mounting gooseneck and a windscreen.  The color is sorta tan. These have been going for $800-$835. 

http://cgi.ebay.com/Schoeps-MK4S-Microphone-CMC6-Amp-Pro-Audio_W0QQitemZ7343763257QQcategoryZ41466QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

My plan is to hack the gooseneck and replace it with a chunk of mic cable.  I received one of these units and after some testing began dissecting a gooseneck last night. It seems to contain the necessary buffer circuit.  I don't know if this is the same active buffer as found in a KC5.  I also don't know if the circuit will have to be tweaked in order to work well with a somewhat longer cable.

I'm having a little trouble finding some 1804A cable to wire these up.. Any source or substitute suggestions would be appreciated.  I have some mini-star quad on hand but I'd like to use something more sexy.

There is also the question of soldering the cable in.. Do I risk soldering the cable to the mounting pad or do I cut and solder to the existing wires?  I'm leaning toward the latter but more concerned about connection quality with that approach.

Here are some pics of the progress.  There are also a couple pics of the CMC6 innards for the curious.

At this point I plan on selling the Mk4S. I don't know what they're worth.  With some help, there's a chance the bass rolloff could possibly be removed.  But I'd need some coaching for that one..  That would Really sweeten this deal.

Cool!  That looks like what the AKG CK91/92/93 actives use.  Well, those ones have the FET inside the capsule itself, but it looks like a similar board that you have in the connectors: two resistors plus a FET.

I'm guessing there should be no trouble getting a longer cable.  I'm using a 20' cable on my CK93's.  Also, one thing worth considering is powering the Capsules+FET directly with a battery box.  This could lighten your load for stealthing.

So, this brings me to the quesiton: What is all that stuff in the body?  I see a 14 pin DIP chip there.  Can you tell me the number on this?

Anyway, great hacking!
  Richard
« Last Edit: September 17, 2009, 11:17:09 PM by Brian Skalinder »
Mics: Sennheiser MKE2002 (dummy head), Studio Projects C4, AT825 (unmodded), AT822 franken mic (x2), AT853(hc,c,sc,o), Senn. MKE2, Senn MKE40, Shure MX183/5, CA Cards, homebrew Panasonic and Transsound capsules.
Pre/ADC: Presonus Firepod & Firebox, DMIC20(x2), UA5(poorly-modded, AD8620+AD8512opamps), VX440
Recorders: Edirol R4, R09, IBM X24 laptop, NJB3(x2), HiMD(x2), MD(1).
** This individual has moved to user "illconditioned" **

Offline dklein

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2005, 11:14:11 AM »
There is no plan B, you doubter!  ;)

Nice work!  I guess Plan B thinking is based on *my* hacking experiences  ;D
Post a sample!
KM 184 > V2 > R4

« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2005, 12:41:13 PM »
Nice work!  I guess Plan B thinking is based on *my* hacking experiences
Post a sample!

Thanks!  It was a tough project and the risk of failure was high..  Especially after I went public on ts with my effort before it really began.. Nothing like a little extra pressure.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2007, 04:24:01 PM by Freelunch »

Offline dklein

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2005, 01:19:02 PM »
sounds good!  I'd love to hear something with a full band when you get it.
KM 184 > V2 > R4

« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2005, 09:44:11 AM »
Here's a decent diagram of the innards of the active cables..

http://www.posthorn.com/S_parts.html

My config is very much like that except it does not include ZS 21-3 (I think it is for a special version) and CD 3/4-4C is threaded in rather than held by screws.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.092 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com